Old 03-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #1  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Lunch ideas - please share!

I usually have a Zone bar or NS bar for lunch with a boca burger.

I need some new ideas. I don't do salads, so that is out. But would like some good protein rich options. I do like portable lunches.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

My favorite lunches are leftover dinners. I also love soup, and I usually make a big pot of something on the weekend and use that for weekday lunches. If I'm going to the office, I just throw some in a container the night before, grab in the AM, and zap at work.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

for lunches I usually do a frozen meal like lean cuszine. There is a huge variety, and I'll have a peice of fruit with it as well. If I get sick of the frozen dinner thing, I will have soup sometimes as well, with some veggies.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I think I'm probably boring. I usually make a sandwich with a few slices of packaged lunchmeat & mustard on Light Rye. I have a WW yogurt. A cheese stick or Mini Bel. And then an apple or orange or both. If I have leftovers from dinner I'll sometimes take those, though.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

I like soups as well, but in the past have done wraps. Take a small whole wheat tortilla with some mustard and meat of choice. I sprinkle a little cheese on it, nuke it, then wrap it up. I'm usually making it to eat right away, but this should travel well. I used to serve it with a side of roasted vegetables with a little balsamic vinegar. It's not bad cold, but if you can reheat it a little it does taste better.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Why not salads? I used to hate salads until I started experimenting with different ingredients and making my own dressings.

Anyway, salads aside, how about a sandwich? wrap? soup? chili? stir fry?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

I like fruits and vegetables and soup for lunch.
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #8  
Heidelitos

S/C/G: 186/???/145

Height: 5'4

Yesterday, I made a can of tuna with a little light mayo and onion...then stuffed a hollowed out tomatoe with it. It was great...and it looked gourmet!! But I also think leftover dinner is a good pick. I eat a lot of stir fry, and just make extra for another meal down the road.
Heidelitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[COLOR=indigo]Why not salads?
A few reasons. The biggest being that I waste a lot of lettuce on it just going bad in the fridge. We shop once per week, and when the farmers market isn't open - that means those fresh thing once. I work from home most days (unless I am actually doing one of my rehabs), so that would mean an extra trip out to get produce - and we try to live pretty green, so avoid extra gas useage whenever possible. That's probably the main reason/excuse for no salads. I do eat them when we go out, but they just aren't a favorite of mine.

They also don't fill me up. Even if I put real dressing for fat and some protein on top, I just get too hungry 1/2 hour later. I don't know why that is, kind of weird.

I also don't like too many veggies, so piling the lettuce portion full of other veggies doesn't work. I feel the lettuce has the least nutritional value out of the whole thing.
I eat steamed and roasted broccoli/cauliflower and carrots every day for dinner, that's kind of my veggie staple .
Over the years, I just realized that salads at home don't work well for me. It was kind of an 'aha' moment, and when I quit trying to force myself to eat them, I am much happier on my plan.
Probably more than you wanted to know LOL.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I make a chicken "salad"...(not the lettuce kind) and put it in a pita or a wrap.

Here is how I make it

3 oz chicken breast cooked and diced
2 T chopped walnuts
1/2 apple diced
1-2 ribs celery diced

Dressing
1 T soy "mayonaise"
1 t dijon mustrd
1 t lemon juice
1 t honey

Mix dressing, toss with other ingredients, serve in a pita, wrap or on a bed of lettuce (guess that one is out though)
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #11  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I am not too crazy on salads as well especially not for my main meals anyway. That said, I do eat a small salad everyday before I eat my dinner. It's part of my evening snack so it fills me up enough before I eat dinner. I think eating salad everyday for evening snack has helped me a lot. We use light dressings and usually cut heavier dressings with lemon juice to give it zest.

For lunches, I usually take either one of the Lean cuisines, Smart Ones or Stouffers frozen entrees (lunch portions). They are convenient and between the 3 brands I find enough variety. But so far I'm not bored yet It's convenient if you're looking for something easy and less time consuming.

As mentioned above, tuna and chicken salad with toast is good idea. I make it with light Mayo. Also several varieties of Campbell and Progresso soups come in smaller packaging enough for lunch portions

I also bought Perdue brand seasoned cooked chicken strips. They have 3 flavors available. And I make homemade quesadilla using light tortilla. I'll be putting the recipe on my blog soon. I make it sometimes for variety. Boca burgers are always good

Last edited by pintobean; 03-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't eat salads! I always feel kind of freakish about that. Salads are typically staples of diets, I'd rather have 3 cups of steamed veggies!

I've sometimes eaten plain rice cakes with the little flavoured tuna can's, and altho it doesn't really go together, I've steamed veggies the night before and had that with it. People at work think I'm weird, but it works!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #13  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I make veggie enchilladas that are sooo filling at about 250 calories. I got the recipe from a WW cookbook. It is a wrap filled with refried black beans, mexican veggie "burger" and topped with cheese and enchillada sauce and baked. My husband always tries but can never eat more than one they are so filling. I always make extras so I can take them to work for a couple of days.

Last edited by Healthy Mama; 03-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love salads and eat them pretty much every day. I really enjoy topping them with warmed refried beans or just with salsa. I do enjoy cool/cold foods more than cooked foods so that is one reason I love salads and I do find them filling. I don't eat a salad as my meal though and it is usually a side.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #15  
Carol

S/C/G: 322/270/175

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up

Dr. Praeger's burgers are fantastic because they're not mainly soy. They're these compact little rich-tasting flavor burgers. The success lies in the fact that they aren't trying to taste like a real ground beef burger, the way Boca burgers try to. They're just their own awesome little thing. The ingredients are: Carrots, Black Beans, Onions, String Beans, Corn, Zucchini, Soybeans, Oat Bran, Peas, Red Pepper, Spinach, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Broccoli, Textured Soy Flour, Oat Fiber, Arrowroot, Jalepeno Peppers, Chili Powder, Garlic, Corn Meal, Corn Starch, Cilantro, Salt, Parsley, Black Pepper, All Natural Vegetable Gum.

I don't even use a bun. But you CAN be totally decadent and melt gruyere cheese on them and some of those sliced jalapenos in water, eat them with a lot of ketchup. They taste good microwaved, but exceptionally good if you spray Pam or olive oil on a pan and get them really crispy on the outside.

The spinach ones are wonderful and at 110 calories each, you can't go wrong.
Carol
2sweet is offline   Reply With Quote