Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Food-free zones

Does anyone else have a food-free zone? I'm talking about a place where you just don't eat, and you probably wouldn't even consider bringing food there.

I realized the other day that my bedroom is a food-free zone. I'd never really thought about it before, but it's clearly a holdover from my childhood. Growing up, we weren't allowed to have food in our rooms. Period, end of story. The only exception was if we were sick and mom brought us up a tray. It was just a rule - food was on the first floor, bedrooms were on the second floor. It never mattered to me, although I seem to recall my brother complaining bitterly.

I didn't even realize that I still consider my bedroom a food-free zone. And what that means is that if I'm just feeling snacky, I'll go into my bedroom and snacking ceases to be an option. I didn't realize I was doing this until recently, but I think I've been doing it for a while. (My other food-free zone is the bathroom, and on those really bad craving days, I take a nice long bath.)

Realizing that I do this, and that I've been subconsiously taking advantage of it for years, made me wonder if anyone else does the same thing, or something similar. Food-free zones, anyone?

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Well, I don't think I would ever eat in a bathroom! I don't eat in my office room but if I wanted to, I could and would. I don't really have any "off limits" places other than gross places (like bathrooms).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Unfortunately, I have developed the nasty habit of eating in my bedroom. I never used to before, but when I was in my eat everything in sight days, I didn't want anyone to judge me so I would sneak food into my room. Being in here actually makes me hungrier.

I'm with you though, I go and take a shower if I feel a binge episode coming on. The warm water usually makes the craving pass!
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

The bedroom is the food free zone for me, but DH will sometimes bring something up for himself. Normally my teeth are brushed when I am in there, so having food doesn't make any sense.

Also - I really try to make the car a food free zone, unless we are on a long trip with food packed. That means no stopping to get something and eat while driving, or running out of the house with food in my hands. Keeps the car a lot cleaner LOL!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

I have eaten in a bathroom....

We were at the hospital with my 1 yo daughter - she had just been admitted and after it settled down it occured to us that we were STARVING! We had not eaten in more than 24 hours. So, my dh went to a fast food joint and got us something to eat...well, we soon discovered that our daughter was also starving, but she couldn't eat. She REALLY didn't like watching us eat in front of her....So, one at a time my dh and I hid in the bathroom to eat!

To reply to your post, though...I would have to say my bedroom also. And of course the bathroom...! lol I try not to eat anywhere but the dining room table but that doesn't always work.

Last edited by Tonia; 03-20-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #6  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

I don't have any off limit places except the bathroom of course I just got on my 5 year old about taking food in there yesterday...he came out of the bathroom carrying a piece of cheese like it was nothing! YUK!!
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #7  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Yeah...bathroom for sure! Ewww. My bedroom is a food-free zone. Also my car. It's new and NO ONE eats in my car. Yup...I even take the snacks away from kids in my car. No food...no drinks...except water.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Actually, I don't eat in my DINING room, it's mostly for show. The iron wrought glass topped table has candles and flowers and the whole design is gorgeous. When I'm showing my apt to people, I'm usually like, "this is my dining room, just for show, I rarely eat here." I think I got that from my mom, she also has a beautifully decorated dining room that we only ate in for holidays. I also NEVER eat in my bedroom; which is opposite of when I was a teenager and in college living with my parents: I ONLY ate in my bedroom. It was the only private place I had. I eat on my couch most of the time. I have a breakfast bar but no chairs to eat at it (it's decorated again with flowers and candles!) or I'd eat there.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #9  

Height: 5'11"

We eat in the living room on the sofas (in front of the TV) -- not good, I know, but it does cut down on having seconds if you have to get up and walk to another room to serve yourself. No eating in the bedroom here (exceptions for illness) -- who wants crumbs in the sheets? And nothing in the bathroom, either! I have friends who have a glass of wine when they're soaking in the tub, but I just can't do it -- food is so unappetizing when you're bathing (or...!)!
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My upstairs....the bedrooms and bathrooms...are off-limits for food. These are carpeted areas and we've only been in this house for 8 months. I know the carpet will eventually get dirty, but I'm trying to preserve the "newness" for as long as possible. The kids don't like it much, but I'm not running a democracy.

My nice warm soaks in the bath with a good book have saved me from many temptations over the last 1 1/2 years.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

I have made the bedrooms, bathroom, and the computer room (this room only for me but my fiance does eat in there) as the food free zones.
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #12  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Once or twice, when I have come home at 2am after a night of imbibing, I have eaten in my bedroom - but other than that - I never eat in my BR. My BR is for sleeping and sex. We don't even have a TV in our BR!!
I don't eat in the bathroom, either - however, on occasion, I will take a drink into the shower or bath. Nothing is better than a strong drink and a hot shower when getting ready to go out!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #13  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

What a new thought process for me. I never thought about going to the bedroom to read or watch TV or do whatever when I have the munchies. We do not eat in our bedroom, so that would be a "food-free zone". I am going to try this next time I get the munchies.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote