Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Help I'm a newbie

I just started exercising in Febuary, and I now walk 2 to 3 miles a day 5 days a week and I also ride a recumbent exercise bike every so often. I know I need to build muscle but how? I am totally lost. I don't belong to a gym so can someone recommend what type of weights I should buy? What types of exercise should I begin with?
cathbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi -

Try looking at some of the stickied threads above, and have a look at this this website. Krista has lots of good advice, and beginner's stuff too. Another place is the Strong Women website here if you've never been exposed to any weight/resistance training. It's a great thing to do for yourself, and be sure to come back with questions.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #3  

What size weights should I start with? Target has a set for $59.99 the weights in the pack are 3, 5, and 8 lbs. Is this to light or about average for beginners?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #4  

Thanks for the websites. I ordered Strong women stay slim. I think it is just what I need to start.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #5  

Well I bought the weights and a few books so I will give it a shot. I'm sure I will be back with plenty of questions.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Cathbro and

Congratulations on your loss so far! How are the new weights working out for you? I read the Strong Women Stay Slim book a while ago too. I really enjoyed her book as well as the Strong Women Stay Strong. The sites that Pat suggested are wonderful for weight training. The day I found Krista's Stumptuous site it was the beginning of a new day for me. Spend lots of time there and learn as much as you can about form.

In a few weeks you may also be ready to purchase additional dumbbells within the 10, 12, and maybe even 15lb range depending upon how your progress. You may even find that the Dumbell Row may feel a little better with a heavier weight at 20lbs sooner than you think. Our lats are stronger than we think.

Enjoy the journey and keep us updated with your progress.

Last edited by Lydia227; 03-20-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Hi Cathbro and

Congratulations on your loss so far! How are the new weights working out for you? I read the Strong Women Stay Slim book a while ago too. I really enjoyed her book as well as the Strong Women Stay Strong. The sites that Pat suggested are wonderful for weight training. The day I found Krista's Stumptuous site it was the beginning of a new day for me. Spend lots of time there and learn as much as you can about form.

In a few weeks you may also be ready to purchase additional dumbbells within the 10, 12, and maybe even 15lb range depending upon how your progress. You may even find that the Dumbell Row may feel a little better with a heavier weight at 20lbs sooner than you think. Our lats are stronger than we think.

Enjoy the journey and keep us updated with your progress.
The sites are very informative. Kristas site has so much info I have not been able to get through all of it yet. The weights and the books have not arrived yet but I am really looking forward to starting.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ordering weights can get expensive but luckily many stores tend to carry at least some weights.

Target and Walmart both have dumbbells in their stores. Sears has weights but so do all sorts of sporting good stores.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #9  

Yeah I had money left on my Target card so I went to target to get the weights and they were all out. So I ended up just ordering them online it was $20 just for the shipping. That was not the brightest thing to do but I'm broke for another two weeks. I'm going to check out Academy sports when I am ready to buy more. I'm also trying to save for a treadmill because the one I have now is just about shot.