Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Default Questions: egg whites and protein powder

Now that I've had to reduce my calories a bit more, I'm having trouble squeezing in adequate protein while still getting in all the fruits, veggies, and complex carbs that get me through the day.

I never used to buy those containers of egg whites - just used regular eggs. But I tried to cook them today with some mushrooms and red peppers. As usual, I used a non-stick pan and cooking spray, but a lot of it stuck to the pan. It tasted pretty good but looked like a gray mess, not that that mattered a whole lot since I just stuck it in a wrap anyway.

So question #1 is, is there a trick to cooking egg whites so they come out looking appetizing and so they don't stick to the pan? Maybe lower heat or something?

And question #2: I'm looking for a lower calorie protein powder that is NOT soy based. I'm hypothyroid and can't consume soy within 4 hours of taking my medication. So many of the protein powders I've seen at the store are high enough in calories that I would just as soon eat more cottage cheese or baked tofu or something, if I had the room in my daily calories! I'm willing to spend money on a product that fits the bill.

Thanks everyone!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

On the protein powder, have you looked at Designer Whey? It's about 100 calories for a scoop, and I mix with unsweetened vanilla almond breeze for a protein shake with 140 calories or so - workable. I can find it at Trader Joes or my regular grocery store, as well as health food stores.

I always beat my egg whites thoroughly before cooking, and cook over medium-low heat. Sometimes, too, I add a splash of Egg Beaters if I have it around, somehow it seems to help the texture, flavor, and color a LOT.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been drinking hemp protein. Not only does it have protein but it also has EFAs because of the fats in hemp. Hemp is sometimes harder to find in stores though but it is out there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #4  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

If you're not against eating a whole egg I mix one whole egg with a couple of egg whites. The other alternativ to eggs could be eggbeaters. I love the Southwestern.

I use the Designer Whey for a protein powder on occasion.

Hope this helps some.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I take a small non-stick pan and put just a touch of butter in it (about 1/2 a tsp will do it). I don't do much with it while it cooks, just sometimes pop a large bubble and let the liquid egg white in. Precook whatever filling you want (use the microwave or a little water to stir-fry. When the egg white is almost done, put the veg on one half, with a little cheese. Fold over and put under the broiler for a minute or two. It will brown up the top a little and melt the cheese.

I use a cheese blend I purchase pre-mixed which works out to just over 100 cals/oz. In the past I've made my own using 2 or 3 low fat cheeses mixed with a regular cheddar.

1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 tsp butter
3 med mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 oz cheese

Comes out to 152 cals, 20g protein, 6g fat, 5g carbs

The cheese is 52 of those cals (4g fat, 4g protein), but it doesn't feel like an omelet without it.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #6  

I was having trouble with the egg whites until I accidentally walked away from the kitchen. When I came back they had set up like a pancake. I was able to fold in half like an omlette. The key is mixing well, pouring in pan, NOT touching until you can get the spatula under an edge with no sticking, then fold over.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I allow my non-stick frying pan to get good and hot. That's always been the key for me. Then I spray it liberally with cooking spray. I put the egg whites right in there (no beating) on a medium flame. No sticking at all. It lifts easily out of the pan, I just use a fork.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #8  
Observer of Phenomena

Hey, thanks for the good ideas, guys! I'll try the egg whites on medium heat instead of high, maybe that'll help. And since I'm not opposed to eating whole eggs, maybe I'll try the half eggs/half whites thing. Somehow I never thought of that.

As for the protein powder, I guess I wanted to have my cake and eat it too. I was hoping someone knew of one that was more like 30 cals per scoop. For 100 cals, I'd probably just go with a high protein snack.

I'm actually kind of curious now - is there any reason why protein powder mixed in a shake or something is superior to say, cc with kashi golean, or 1/2 cup of beans on my salad? Or egg whites, for that matter?

If not, why do people choose the powder route over the food route? Is it a convenience thing? I'm really just asking, because I never got into using supplements and I'd want to know if I were missing out!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, if a protein powder was only 30 calories per scoop, it couldn't have more 7.5 grams of protein...because protein has 4 calories per gram. So my protein powder which is 20 g of protein for 100 calories is a pretty good bargain, calorie wise, for me (80 calories worth of protein, 20 calories worth of "other").
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I use Nutiva Hemp Protein. It's organic, has 120 calories per 2 scoops, 14 grams of fiber 11 grams of protein and 3 grams of fat. http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic...5979509&sr=8-1
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #11  
Observer of Phenomena

I can't argue with that math! I had a feeling it was a pipe dream.

But I'm still curious - if my 1% cottage cheese is 85 calories for a 1/2 cup serving with 14 grams of protein, that's pretty close. Do protein powders have some additional benefit, like better absorption or something?

Thanks for the info, Mandalinn! I'm almost ready to let this go.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post
I can't argue with that math! I had a feeling it was a pipe dream.

But I'm still curious - if my 1% cottage cheese is 85 calories for a 1/2 cup serving with 14 grams of protein, that's pretty close. Do protein powders have some additional benefit, like better absorption or something?
If someone has a dairy sensitivity, a non-dairy protein powder would be a better choice for them. If not, the cottage cheese would likely be a less expensive, nutritious option!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #13  
Observer of Phenomena

Thanks Soul Bliss. I guess I'll probably stick with my regular food then. I'm one of those people that feels more satisfied eating my calories rather than drinking them for the most part.

Maybe when I get to maintenance someday and have a few extra calories to play with I'll give the protein powder a try just for the several extra grams of protein and the flavors.