Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #1  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Eating too much today

Does anyone else feel like a bottomless pit when they don't get enough sleep? I slept very poorly last night, and then got up about 2 hours before I normally do because I couldn't sleep.

All day I have felt hungry, and I have consumed about 800 extra calories today. Ugh. And I still don't feel full. Of course, the night is still young

Thank goodness there isn't any junk in the house, or I probably would have eaten it. But, proof that you can binge on healthier foods.

I don't necessarily care about what this will do on the scale so much as just not liking the feeling, so here I am writing about it.
Any commiserations are welcome.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

I completely understand how you feel. It doesn't happen to me when I don't get enough sleep, but when I'm stressed.

Lately I've been stressing a lot. I'm currently unemployed and desperately looking for a job. It's been a struggle to stay on plan. I've had my days, like you, where I go way over the calories even if it's healthful food. I ate a whole pound of roasted asparagus the other day... And don't get me started on the nuts, I have to hide those!

And the more I think about it, the worse it gets. I try to get as far away from the kitchen/food as I can. Helps me to get on the computer, watch some TV, or play a video game. Whatever takes my mind off of the food. Have you tried working out, or maybe doing some yoga or something to relax you. How about meditating?

That's why I love 3FC, you can come here and vent your troubles. Hang in there!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, I do feel very hungry when I'm tired and today is one of my major "can't get full" days. Did you know that there is an actual medical reason for this? Lack of sleep causes an imbalance with our "hunger" hormones, leptin and ghrelin. Of course, knowing there is a medical reason hasn't helped convince me to get to bed earlier yet. I'm such a night owl.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Did you know that there is an actual medical reason for this? Lack of sleep causes an imbalance with our "hunger" hormones, leptin and ghrelin.
So that is why!!! Geez guess we all had a sleepless night. I've also feeling very bingish. I've eaten healthy and low cal but a bing is a bing.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Did you know that there is an actual medical reason for this? Lack of sleep causes an imbalance with our "hunger" hormones, leptin and ghrelin.
Well, there you go - it's not just in my head!

Quote:
Have you tried working out, or maybe doing some yoga or something to relax you. How about meditating?
I have already exercised 3 times today LOL! A walk, aerobics and strength training. I've been playing computer games. I actually think I feel full now, or at least the desire to eat is gone.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Yep. When I don't get the sleep I need I feel like I could eat 10 bagels and still scarf down a huge bowl of pasta. And yep, there's a biological reason for it. But, I don't have to like it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 5"

What a Catch-22. And helps me understand more my weight gain these past few years. I have chronic depression, which has caused terrible tiredness and insominia, not to mention the fatigue from weight gain and so my body is just asking for food.

It's a great idea to channel it with exercise or an activity where your hands are busy. I lost a lot of weight in college by learning to crochet while watching t.v. (instead of snacking!) And I really should get back to that...exactly the reminders and motivators I am looking for from this website!!

I also keep an embarrassing picture of myself on the beach around to remind me to stop the binge.

For my brother, he has curbed his binges by remembering a time he ate so much so fast that he had to make himself vomit to feel better.

Do you have any strong motivators like that?
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #8  

Also, I have to apologize because I just realized this is in the 100 lb. club thread. I saw the thread on the home page and followed it. I hope I am not unwelcome for not being part of the club. So sorry if I am overstepping boundaries.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzygal View Post
Also, I have to apologize because I just realized this is in the 100 lb. club thread. I saw the thread on the home page and followed it. I hope I am not unwelcome for not being part of the club. So sorry if I am overstepping boundaries.
Don't be ridiculous! EVERYONE is welcome in the 100lb club! The more the merrier!!!!! And don't you forget it
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #10  
FB

Oh gosh jerzygal- you're welcome anywhere!

Fiber, I'm the same way. Sleep deprived=hunger in a crazy way.
I know most of my weight problem comes from this. I work crazy crazed hours and the last two years of very little sleep have taken their toll on me. Since recently realizing it was a major contributer I've tried to let (a little bit) go of my workaholic ways.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #11  
Fat Chick

S/C/G: 163/147/128

Height: 5'7"

Hm. Maybe last night I didn't sleep enough.
Today I've been eating like CRAZY!
It's bad.
Nikki_20216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I was told Tuesday night by a nutritionist that as an adult you need 7 hours of sleep. Even if you don't binge.....you still have the stress hormone which can cause you to plateau.......or at least that is what she told me.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #13  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Jerzygal...you are most welcome here!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Don't be ridiculous! EVERYONE is welcome in the 100lb club! The more the merrier!!!!! And don't you forget it
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbaby View Post
Oh gosh jerzygal- you're welcome anywhere!

Fiber, I'm the same way. Sleep deprived=hunger in a crazy way.
I know most of my weight problem comes from this. I work crazy crazed hours and the last two years of very little sleep have taken their toll on me. Since recently realizing it was a major contributer I've tried to let (a little bit) go of my workaholic ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by famograham View Post
Jerzygal...you are most welcome here!

Linda
thank you all!!

I am new to the forum and don't want to make "wrong" posts. I appreciate the support!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #15  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Hoo boy, am I familiar with this. Last week after a poor night of sleep I ate over 2,500 calories. (Like you, all healthy stuff - the same healthy stuff I became overweight eating in the first place thanks to abysmal portion control.)

I'm spoiled because I work flexible hours from home and don't have kids, so when I can, I'll take a short nap to stave off a binge if I'm really tired. I always feel sorta guilty to sleep during a business day, but I feel guilty after bingeing too, and the effects are worse!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote