Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #1  
Not Monkeying Around

Height: 5' 7"

Default Tummy Rumbling

No I'm not Poohbear, but boy is my tummy rumbling ALL of the time the last week and a half. I started doing freeweights and I love it! But now I am STARVING all the time. I am eating a 1600-1700 calorie diet, 25% fat, close to the ground diet and have lost 32 lbs since the end of December. I was doing aerobic excercises 5-6 times a week (I have tapered this). There were times I couldnt eat all the food I had because it was so much. But now I gobble it all up and I am still hungry! What is up? I believe that our bodies tell us what we should do, but at the same time, I have been very happy with my weight loss results so far. I have been drinking a protein shake on the days I lift. I am hanging tough with the calories, but I am miserble. I wonder if this is common to when starting lifting or if this may be a result of something else (I had a slight flu a couple weeks ago and the weather has gotten much nicer, which makes me very energetic). I appreciate any insite to my dilemna. Thanks! ~ Gretchen
Mamma Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What is your protein intake like? Especially if I'm lifting heavily, I get really really hungry if I don't eat enough protein.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Well congrats you deserve it to have lost 30+ pds. Be careful with how much you are eating when doing excersizing, if you dont eat enough, your body will think its in starvation mode and slow down your weight lost. I think maybe you should up the fruit and veggies, and go from there! Good luck and great start.
Suzanne
SuzanneT135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #4  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

getting some fiber in the morning should help you feel more full all day. Try the Fiber One bars, or Gnu!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #5  
Tired SAHM of 7

S/C/G: 290/269/190

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the protein. Protein's help you feel fuller longer.
Good Luck and Congratualtions on your weight loss so far!
Slingnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Yay you for starting weight training and for losing 32lb!

What kind of weight training are you doing? Could you give us some idea? I know that when I lift heavy weights doing compound and full body exercises I am absolutely STARVING for the rest of the day. It is only abundant protein that can help me.

Protein is going to be crucial, crucial, crucial here. Your body will be craving it after your workouts and it will help you to control your hunger, too. I'd be far less concerned about fat % and far more concerned about getting in all your protein (at least 30%).

(The nice thing is that even if you do have to add an extra 100 or so calories to deal with the hunger, your metabolism and body will be revving after lifting weights and it should contribute to rather than detract from your weight loss over the long run.)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #7  
Not Monkeying Around

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for all the advice! Free weights is a whole new world to me and I appreciate all the advice.

The routein I am following (The New Rules of Lifting for Women) really harped on the protein intake. I thought I was fine especially with the protein shake I take after eating but I may not be eating enough. I will check out my protein intake. I am following an American Heart Association food plan with lean meats, unprocessed foods, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. I dont know exactly how much protein I eat in a day but I will find out. When I told my hubby that we may need to up our protein he immediately added chicken to our tofu, peanut sauce pasta dinner! He loves his meat!

I will try some more fiber in the AM. I eat lots of fiber during the day but I know my breakfast is the lowest fiber of my day (eggs or whole grain cereal). Maybe I will try some high fiber cereal.

The veggie and fruit situation I have to say is very satisfactory. I have always loved my veggies and have no problem eating mounds of them.

I am also exhausted after lifting, which is completely different than how I feel after cardio (I am so full of energy I am dancing as I make dinner!). I also GAINED weight the first week I lifted (I knew to expect this but I was still devasted). It took about 10 days but now I am a pound less than when I started.

From what I have read, I am very excited about the long term effects of lifting weights. I really feel like I am becoming a new person. Thanks for the advice. I will be keeping in touch. (I just finished a workout and my husband is making dinner at the moment and I think I am going to eat the computer!!!) lol ~ Gretchen
Mamma Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I started lifting last year when working with my trainer, so I kinda knew what to expect when I started the NROLW routine earlier this month.

You HAVE to up your protein intake drastically (I was surprised at how hard it was to get that much protein in my diet, even with using bars and shakes) and you do need to eat more calories on the days that you lift. Using the guidelines in the book, I've actually added nearly 300 cals to the days I workout otherwise I feel like I'm about to starve.

I also eat a 1/2 a protein bar on the way home from the gym on the days I lift - otherwise, like you, I feel like I could start gnawing on the steering wheel on my way home!

It will get better, though, as your body adjusts to the schedule and as you increase the protein. I promise you won't feel this ravenous and exhausted always!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 03-26-2008 at 05:34 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote