Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Smile I could've kissed this woman!

I was hanging out with my friend and her mother last night. Well, following dinner the mother offers me both ice cream cake, and chocolate layered cake with frosting. O_O Oh how I was tempted, but I said, "Thank you, but I just really better not tonight." I steeled myself for having to refuse at least 5 times before it stuck. However, her mother says "Are you sure? Oh well I won't push, I know what that's like." I could've kissed this woman!

I was wondering what your experiences were with having someone randomly know where you're coming from and just understand. Who could you all have kissed?
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #2  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

I am not sure if this answers your question, the way you presented it,

I work at a Shell on weekends. A customer had asked me how a particular item tasted. I told her I don't eat anything here as I am on a diet. She then asked me why was I on a diet? She stated I didn't need to be (she doesn't know about the weight loss thus far).

I thought afterwards, "Wow, I look like a regular person now?"
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Faerie - I know exactly what you mean.

A few months ago I went out to dinner with a very good friend of mine. We have both struggled with our weights and our eating, and have done so the whole time we've known each other. In the past, when we went out for dinner, we would share a big fabulous gooey dessert.

In this particular time I'm thinking about, the meal ended and she asked if I wanted dessert. I sat that and thought about it, and went back and forth on whether I should and how much I really wanted it. And I did some of that out loud. And my friend just sat there and let me figure it out myself, with no pressure in either direction, and no judgement in either direction. I doubt if she remembers that, but it meant the world to me.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #4  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Faeire: Isn't it nice when people can understand the situation and don't get pushy. Heck when I had my goodbye party at my work, even though everyone knew what I had gone though - they were still really pushy about me eating cake, snacks and everything there. Of course, I did - but in small portions. I kind of needed it anyway as I had just donated a pint of blood before arriving at the party and needed something to give me a bit of energy back.

Fresno: Congrats!!! You've come such a long way, and you are a huge inspiration to all of us. In a way, I would have been kind of annoyed - only because the person wouldn't have known what I had to go through to get to where I am now. But like you, I also would have felt elated to know that I fit in more with those around me.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Faerie -- your question makes me smile a bit. As I'm in school to become a therapist, one thing we constantly stress is the power of simply listening and empathizing, even if it feels strange to us to think that it's really that powerful, particularly since we are often nearly strangers to the people we work with. So your reaction reconfirms some of the things I'm paying 60K a year to learn!

On my end, my entire family has been on diets since as long as I can remember (well, the women in the family, at least. The men say, "why do you always try all these diets? JUST STOP EATING!!" ha.), so I think I take for granted that people will not push cake.

Anyway, good job saying no!!

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Over the weekend my brother invited our family over to have "leftovers" from a church function the night before. Corned beef, Mostacholi, polish sausage and sauerkraut, red potatoes. This was for LUNCH. There was no way that I wanted that heavy of a meal for lunch, even if I did watch my portions. So I brough tunafish and an apple. I only had to tell them once that I wasn't having any. After that no one gave me any grief or made me feel bad.

Hubby left with a stomach ache and I felt great!

Last edited by Sandi; 03-19-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #7  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

I know how you feel, my sil invited us to dinner at an all you can eat buffet last Friday. We accepted and then she called me back and said she was not even thinking about my diet and that we could go somewhere else with less temptation. I thought that was very sweet and caring of her. I told her the buffet was fine with me because I had to learn how to eat out correctly. I must note that even though I did not know what points I spent (ww) I did very good. I started with a salad and only ate one plate of food, no dessert! And guess what? It's didn't kill me! *lol* In the past I always left that restaurant feeling like I was about to pop!
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

My 14 year old daughter has been my own personal cheerleader!!! She does it in a way that always makes me feel good!!! She knows the right thing to say at the right time. She wants me to be healthy and has never made me feel like there is something unacceptable about me because I am overweight. She is one of the very few people in my life who accepts me for me.

As if that isn't enough to make me wanna kiss her...But this just took the carrot ( we have replaced the other "C" word in our vocabulary!!) We were invited to my MIL for supper. My MIL puts so much butter in food it would make Paula on the food channel look like a fat free dieter. I brought a salad and she made a turkey breast so I managed to make good choices for the meal. Then came dessert. She made a cake and a pecan pie and had ice cream. I politely declined dessert once, then twice. Then she said she made the pecan pie just for me and started to act hurt and dramatic about it. She said, "Well you have done so good, you could 'reward' yourself this once."

Before I could say a word my daughter piped up and said, " Gramma what kind of a reward is that?? Would you say you've done so well, Here have a slice of heart attack, topped with diabetes and high blood pressure!?!?! Mom said NO, just leave it at that!!"

I smiled to myself and thought...That's MY Girl!!

Last edited by KateB; 03-19-2008 at 11:43 AM.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Kate -

If you ever need to get rid of that wonderful child, I'll take her!
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #10  

Kate,

Your daughter is a sweetheart!

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/219/140

Height: 5'7''

Default Ditto Ditto Ditto

Wow I agree, and if you don't mind I will take her after kristas mom:P

That is such an awesome girl!!
Hope20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #12  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

When I decided to leave my previous job for my new job, I knew I was going to miss a lot of my co-workers. They were all going to miss me too apparently because without me knowing one morning they threw a "going away" brunch for me. Now mind you we have done these for other people for various reasons and everyone chips in and brings a ton of wonderful but not healthy foods. What really made me want to kiss all of them was that they all knew I was trying to eat healthier so all the foods they brought were healthier foods! There was yogurts, fresh fruit, mini bagels with ff cream cheese and bottled waters. It was so nice to have people understand and try to support me.
Hopefulpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote