Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/266/180

Height: 5'8"

Default 3 scales, 3 weights...?!?!?

Well, I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday and checked their scale against mine. At home I was 264, at the doctor's it is 7 lbs. lower (257) and at my husbands work where we weigh in I guess it is 261. Although they are all lower than mine, which I am taking to mean that mine is probably high, I don't have an accurate number and it is driving me crazy! I weigh in tomorrow so I am gonna just adjust my ticker to that number.

I am trying really hard not to feel frustrated. How do you get the scale to move when it just doesn't want to?

Thanks to everyone who has made me feel so welcome! You guys are fantastic! Good Morning!
Andria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

It doesn't matter what different scales say. It's the difference over time in our weight that we're looking for as we lose.

Choose one scale--namely the one at home--and always weigh on that one, preferably at the same time of day and wearing the same clothes (or no clothes). Track this number. Any other numbers on other scales are irrelevant!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I agree with Jay! Pick the one scale that matters.

This is kind of like "Can't please everybody all the time." Can't please every scale all the time. What is important is that you began at a certain weight, and you are no longer that weight on that same scale!

We'd drive ourselves bonkers if we had to use 3 different scales at various times of the day.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I definitley recommend picking your home scale for your weigh-ins and forgoing stepping on any other scales at all! The differences in the numbers will just frustrate you. The only thing that really matters is that the weight is coming off, regardless of the actual number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andria View Post
How do you get the scale to move when it just doesn't want to?
How long has it been since your home scales moved any for you? What plan are you following?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yep . . . stick with a single scale and ignore the numbers on the rest. Gee, I manage at least three or four numbers on the same scale. So, I just keep getting on and off until it decides to give me the same number twice in a row. We are more than numbers, Chickie. The overall way that your clothes are fitting and the way you are feeling -- those are things that matter.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #6  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Sometimes I'll get different readings when I check the same scale two or three times in a row (I do that out of curiosity, not compulsion... I just want to see how consistent my scale is). I paid $80 for my scale, which calculates weight down to a tenth of a pound, and it still isn't that accurate.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #7  

Smile My scales wacky too!

My home scale is doing the samething that Meowee and Drina are dealing with. I get on the scale (which wasn't cheap) and the number goes up and down before landing. If I get off and back on, 9 out of 10 times the number will be different. When I weighed at the doctors office, his scale weighed me at nearly 10 lbs less. I've just decided it doesn't matter what the number says, either up or down a few numbers. I'm more interested in how I feel, if my clothes are getting bagging and the like...

Miz M
mizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

All of which is a great reminder that, while scales can be helpful in showing progress over the long term, it's really not good to get hung up on the number from day to day or even week to week!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #9  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

For this very reason, I will not be checking my weight until my next Dr. appointment on April 1st. After that, I'm not sure what I will do. I don't keep a scale at home because I will drive myself crazy. I'm thinking maybe it would be best to find one at a store and maybe that would be closest to the Dr.'s office? Any thoughts on that??
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #10  

Rhonda-

My home scale has moved, and pretty consistently. I think that I just need to be patient and realize that I didn't gain all this weight overnight and unfortunately I'm not gonna lose it that way either! I just wanna see results and have to remind myself that small or slow results are still results.

I'm not sticking to a specific plan. If anything I am kinda using what I learned in WW, but am watching calories, switching bad carbs for whole grains, lots of veggies, and drinking lots of water, and watching the salt and fat. I guess that's basically it.

I'm having trouble drinking all the water I need to. When I know I don't HAVE to it is a lot easier, other than lemon, which I like, anyone know of any way of dressing it up that is very low or zero calorie? Does something like Crystal Light count as water drank?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #11  

Yeah, the 3 different numbers are driving me crazy, and I have a hard time not obsessing about weighing every time I am in the bathroom where my scale is even though I know that a bigger number through the day is normal even just from drinking water, and doesn't mean a gain...the only reason I was contemplating using the scale at my husband's work as a guide is because that is the one we use for our Biggest Loser weigh in's. I could use the one at home, but just figure out the difference in the 2. I just want to be able to have some idea of what Thursdays (weigh in) are gonna show...At best guess I think I am looking at between 4 and 5% loss for the last 2 weeks which is gonna be nice to see tomorrow!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #12  
Newbie LAWL

S/C/G: 261/257/130-135

Height: 5'3"

I really only use two scales...one at home in my own bathroom (that I weigh in maybe twice a week just to see how I"m progressing), and the one at the LA weight loss center. I've decided to keep the LAWL center scale numbers as my tracker, but I might need to change to my home scale in a few weeks since I'll be moving soon....oh boyee.
starofsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I hate this. the doctor's scale is usually 7-8 ounds higher than mine, too. the other day I bought a new scale, a digital one, thinking it would be more accurate than my old mechanical scale, and it's four pounds off--higher, of course. *bangs head*
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

I weight at home first thing in the morning and go on that weight. I get weighed at the gym once a month but that's at the end of the day when I've been drinking water all day long so it can be 3-4 pounds heavier just like my at home scale can be at the end of the day. I'm also weighing nude at home and the gym and doctor both weight me fully clothed. For my own personal reference I go by my home scale.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote