View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
SugarSpunSister

S/C/G: 240/185/115

Height: 5"3

Default where are you buying your veggies?

I am by no means veggie challenged, I love vegetables and always have, whatever weight I was (mainly I just never took the time to cook/prepare them, and I do also love cheese and bread and ice cream and you get the picture!).
I came on here though because I have recently encountered some friends of mine in far away places who hated vegetables and when I questioned them about it I realised why. It was the type of vegetables they were having.

A lot of people do not realise that there is an extreme difference in taste and quality between the vegetables you buy at Safeway/Albertsons/etc. and what you would buy at Whole Foods or another health food store. And you get a whole other level of quality from a farmer's market - and it's cheaper too! There is nothing like buying directly from the farmer.

If you think you hate "salad" I would ask - are you having it with iceberg lettuce? I would hate that too! But a nice, lightly coloured Romaine lettuce (try the hearts of romaine, 3 in a ziploc baggy those are the best parts) is just divine. I wouldn't touch a shiny red apple from Safeway, those are absolutely disgusting and flavourless. But a reddish-yellowish Fuji apple from Whole Foods, will be tasty and oh-so-juicy (will help with dehydration from weight loss, and a super healthy snack).

Do you know that there are ways to choose a vegetable so it is ripest and tastiest? Only eat a tomato if it is bright red, not orangish in any way! Avocados need to have a bit of softness to them when you squeeze them but no so it'll make an imprint. Celery should be nearly white, and spinach leaves should be thick, curly and nearly 3-5 inches in size!

Please excuse me if I appear patronizing, it's just I have been raised in Northern California, eating healthy, organic foods and going to Farmer's Markets and I was shocked to discover there are lots of people who do not know how to pick a vegetable or cook a vegetable or what kinds of vegetables are tasty. To be frank, I would not consider much of what I see in the vegetable/fruit section at Safeway to be food!

Anyway, I am a supreme veggie lover and advocate (vegetarian since 9 too), so if there is anything I can do to help - hit me with questions!

Oh and, as my subject stated, I would really like to know where you are getting your vegetables from. Are you getting them from Whole Foods and Farmer's Markets and still not liking them?
SugarSpunSister is offline   Reply With Quote