Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #1  

Default Need some motivation

Hi all,

I have a bit over 100lb to lose and joined (again) weight watchers two weeks ago. The first week, I had a great loss of 5.2lbs., this week, I only lost a 1/2 lb. I was disappointed. I totally stuck to the program and even walked five days this week. I did start my period so that may have something to do with it but I don't feel 100% confident that it does. Ok, logically, I know, it's a 1/2 lb which is better than nothing and eating like a piggy and yes it could be my period but I could use some other motivators to get me through the next week. All I want to do right now is eat a friggin' cheeseburger because I think, what does it matter? If anyone has lost a significant amount of weight, what did you do to get through yucky weeks?

Thanks!
hoodling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You just keep going! 1 week out of a lifetime is nothing. You have lost 5.5 pounds in 2 weeks, that is great!
Over the coming weeks and months, you will have ups and downs on the scale. Some deserved, some not.
To get yourself through the times that the scale doesn't give you the number you want, look at all the other benefits you see, such as:

feeling better
eating healthy
clearer skin
looser fitting clothes
doing activities that you couldn't before

It's about so much more than a number!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #3  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

5 pounds in one week is amazing. It's normal after a big loss for your body to kinda freak out and say, "What's going here?" and try to hold onto your weight the next week. Have you seen the Biggest Loser? They always have huge losses the first week. And the second week they have the lowest losses of the whole season. Then their bodies start getting into the groove of losing weight more consistently.
Yeah, it would be easier on us if we could lose a consistent amount each week, but our bodies don't work that way. Sometimes we lose more than we thought we would, sometimes less. The big thing is that we KEEP GOING.
You can do it!
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #4  

Thank you Lori, you are right, I do feel better and it's nice to not have that overstuffed feeling. I should write that down!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I struggle with your same mentality....if the weight loss isn't coming, then why bother. But, they only way to lose the weight is to stay on-plan! Quitting won't get you anywhere. And, you are losing...5.7 pounds in two weeks. Those are very very good results. These are your very first steps on your journey. Keep going! You're off to a great start.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #6  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

While you are at the beginning of your journey take some measurements - if you haven't already. I found that even if the scale showed a small drop my measurements often would show a larger drop - which is even better in my mind and it really helps to stay motivated.
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It might help to focus on success that YOU can control, no one can control the scale. You can eat perfectly, work out everyday and the scale doesn't budge a bit. Other ideas:

* Focus on your health. If you're eating right, exercising, drinking water, getting lots of sleep, handling your stress, you are doing AMAZING things for your body that are WORTH IT.

* Chart your weight loss, take your measurements. Even if you get a week where the scale doesn't move, you can look at the downward slope of your progress and feel motivated. I loooooved looking at my measurements! I made a little chart - it is so awesome knowing that I lost TEN INCHES off my waist.

* Accept our wonderful womanhood - I gain 3-5 lbs the week before my period. Nearly FIVE POUNDS. I just don't get on the damn scale the week before my period.

* Keep a pair of pants. Keep trying them on, watch them start to slide. Get a pair of goal pants, keep trying them on, wait until they can slide up your hips, wait until they zip, wait until you can breathe! Own those goal pants.

* Remind yourself this is for LIFE - how will you stay motivated when you reach your goal weight, start maintaining and the scale just stays the same week after week. NOT GAINING WEIGHT is huge victory, every week it happens, it's a miracle.

* Let go of the Biggest Loser mentality - you lost .5 lb - you LOST, any weight lost is a victory. Do a dance!

* Finally tough love - you want to give up, eat a cheeseburger, never lose another pound? How is that going to help you feel happier, be healthier? Gaining back that initial 5 lbs is going to make you feel rotten, keep GOING feel good about yourself.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-19-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

The whole key, I think, is not giving up. Never. You fall, you get back up. You make a mistake, you learn from it. Just never use a bad meal as an excuse for a bad day... and one bad day should never be an excuse for a bad week. Just keep going no matter what.

You can do it.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #9  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

You can do this! We all have bad times... the success is seeing how you handle them & move forward!

This community is here to suppport you - whether you need pats on the back - or kicks in the butt!!

Don't give up
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Unfortunately, weight loss is not mathematically linear. We cannot eat x & exercize y and end up with z weight loss. Our bodies are not scientifically exact. (And sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes that's a frustrating thing as you are experiencing now.)

What we do know is that our hard work WILL pay off. We just have to keep sticking with it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #11  

WOW! Thank you all so much for the encouraging words of wisdom. I will try to use this board more often for support because what you all said really really helped. I think I'm going to print some of it out to keep around me. Thanks again, here's to a good week!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

someone had a post a few weeks ago that i really liked - basically, it was saying i ONLY lost 1 or 2 pounds, or someweeks 1/2 a lb or nothing at all...but for a year...and now i'm down 50 or 60 lbs!! it might be slow going but imagine where you'll be a year from now! whoohooooo !!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote