Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 365/278/150

Height: 5'7

Default Exercises?

I'm a complete newbie to strength training, and I have no idea where to start! . Walking, videos, and the gym won't be an option for me until about two or three months, but I still want to get some exercise in, and build up strength. I currently have two 5 pound free weights, so I was wondering if you ladies had any suggestions about specific exercises to do. How many reps/minutes/times a week should I do those exercises?

I've read through some of the sticky threads, but I can't really find any information about specific exercises to do. Help?
Judith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Did you read any of the links in the stickies? If you follow the links, there is a bunch of good information.

This is specifically a good site to read over
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

Also, quite a few of us are doing the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" which is excellent.

I have to put a plug in for kettlebells which I love and we have a sticky about.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/278/150

Height: 5'7

I did go through her site, and there are a few exercises I'm interested in trying, but many seem a bit.. advanced for me. What about arm/chest work? Just basic stuff, standing up, etc etc.
Judith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Did you look at this section?

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=26

It has beginner workouts.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

If you think that these are too advanced for you, take a look at an older book called Strong Women Stay Young by Miriam Nelson. She has very basic exercises for people who are at a very very beginning level. In fact, I just checked, and she has the programs on a website here
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #6  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I want to throw in, that as a complete newbie to strength training too, I found the exercises in NRL4W very eay to follow. Particularlly as there aren't that many exercises per workout. Don't be afraid to try it.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote