Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #1  
Just Starting Out...

S/C/G: 185/180/145

Height: 5'9.5"

Default I Can Make You Thin

Has anyone watched this show on TLC?
its really interesting....thinking about using some of his tips...
there was a woman who lost about 100 lbs using his program....it seems like legit stuff
Tanisha Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/253/180

Height: 5'8"

i watched it too, a couple times actually. it does seem legit. and im going to try to use some of his tips as well. keep me posted with how things work for you!
JimmieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

I missed it, but am hoping to catch a rerun of it. What types of things did he suggest?
alliegater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #4  

This first time I heard of this show was tonight. I overheard it on the tube while ...eating. Something about helping people stop "emotional overeating" I am so down with that. I also heard the tube say it will be on next Sunday (I think). I'm looking forward to hearing his tips!! Also, once I watch the show I will know how not to emotionally overeat so you probably won't see me around here much... HA!! hahhaahha
drea1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #5  
Just Starting Out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliegater View Post
I missed it, but am hoping to catch a rerun of it. What types of things did he suggest?
The first four golden rules lol...check out mckenna.com
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/185/130

Height: 5'3-4"

I wonder if YouTube might have some clips of the show...thought it was interesting...
macygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #7  

TLC promoted the website as www.tlc.com/thin
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/175.5/160

Height: 5.5

It was pretty interesting... Pretty basic simple stuff that most of us know, but don't practice. It's a 5 week show and it's on every sunday. There will be a different lesson each week.
LovemyPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #9  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

Default i can make you thin

i watched the show last night. i tried his eating suggestion this morning. i must admit i felt silly though. i put down my spoon after each mouthful of cereal, closed my eyes, and ate. chewing lots and away from the tv. i still felt full when i got to work, so guess it has some merit. we'll see how things go. DH wanted to know if the lady who lost weight did any exercise along with his suggestion.
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #10  
Just Starting Out...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon fairy View Post
i watched the show last night. i tried his eating suggestion this morning. i must admit i felt silly though. i put down my spoon after each mouthful of cereal, closed my eyes, and ate. chewing lots and away from the tv. i still felt full when i got to work, so guess it has some merit. we'll see how things go. DH wanted to know if the lady who lost weight did any exercise along with his suggestion.
I did too!! this morning! and i feel very full, and i didn't even finish my plate lol it was great b/c i was sitting there like, this is so dumb
but now i feel very full this is great! lol

I imagine that exercise is also involved here, but i'm assuming he's taking it slow so that ppl aren't overwhelmed lol
Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I have his book and cd. I think listening to the cd has really helped me curb my cravings. Right after I listened to it for the first time, I totally stopped drinking Crystal Light Tea. Now there's nothing in the cd about not drinking C L tea, but for some reason I never wanted it again! I was drinking at least a half gallon per day and now nothing. That was about a month ago.
I'm not snacking as much and don't find myself going to the fridge or cabinet as often for a snack. I have actaully gone to the cabinet and thought "am I hungry?" and closed it back without taking anything out. It's kinda weird.
Now, I will say that I haven't lost any weight. Which is strange because I know I'm not eating as much. So, I'm still undecided on the weight loss effects, but I know it has helped my over-snacking.
There are a few clips on youtube. Just search for his name.
I liked the experiment he did in a diner. He took a group of people and let them eat a typical breakfast (bacon, eggs, hashbrowns), then the next day they went to the same diner with the same breakfast, but they were blindfolded. They didn't finish what was on their plates. Without seeing the food, they let their stomachs tell them when they were full.
I think this is just great. How often do we eat with our eyes? I know I do it alot. Leave some food on your plate and don't be a member of the "clean plate club"

Donna
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/175.5/160

Height: 5.5

I've been trying to follow it today and I must say it's really hard to put down the utensils after every bite.. I feel like a weirdo... But I did end up feeling full before I even finished my lean cuisine pizza... and I was hungry a short time late, but then back to rule #1... eating again.. consciously..

I am trying to eat good stuff though.. stuff I like, but still not too bad. I don't want to give myself an open bar just yet
LovemyPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #13  

I watched it and a lot of the information is the same as a book I read many years ago called "Intuitive Eating". The book was written by two nutritionists who basically said that all babies are born knowing when they are hungry and when they are full. Unfortunately that changes due to many things (parents who control what and when a child eats, etc.).

In the book they also say to eat whatever you like, and in fact, when you start, they say eat a lot of whatever you like. We've made certain foods "bad", so that those are the ones we crave. Allowing yourself to eat whatever you want, whenever you want will make the food less desireable.

I think it will be interesting to see the rest of the series. It kind of bugged me because it seemed set up like an infomercial, but I think he had some good things to say. I'll be really interested in hearing what he has to say about emotional eating.

Oh, and I thought the diner thing was brilliant. My eyes really do make my decisions for me when it comes to food.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #14  
meggy

S/C/G: 260/240/175

Height: 5'4''

Hi everyone!

I've been waiting for a while for this show to air! I knew about the four golden rules but it's interesting to listen to what Paul McKenna has to say and to learn new strategies.

On the site of tlc there's a link to Paul McKenna's site. It's free to suscribe and you can watch the techniques on video (for example, how to be motivated to exercice). There's also some success stories.

As you wrote Darby, it is basically the same "rules" of Intuitive Eating. If anyone is interested, there is a thread on this site where people follow these rules. It's called...you've guessed it...intuitive eating!

Meggy
meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #15  

This is exactly how I lost my weight girls! It works. I ate whatever I wanted ...just never over fill my stomach..I am down 107 lbs. to date. This way of eating is VERY freeing. In my opinon..sounds like to me the reason he has you put down your fork..he wants your body/brain to have time to register you are full. So many people eat way to fast. The book I read stressed eating slower.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote