Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Help figuring nutrition facts on Chicken Tortellini Soup

We're making it tonight. Not sure how much it serves though. You put in an entire cut-up chicken, carrots, celery, a can of chicken broth, and a package of frozen meat-filled tortellini.

Can't find out the nutrition on an entire chicken (looked at calorie king). The others I should be able to figure out. (I used to have Mastercook, but I lost it during the move). Anyone know? It's a 4.75 pounder and I don't know if my bf will let me take the skin off, lol.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

This got my curiousity so I looked it up. I googled how many calories in a whole chicken and the first site to come up was Calorie King. They had the nutrition facts for 4 oz of raw, whole chicken - so I assume they are factoring in the differences between dark and white meat and averaging them out. So I calculated 4.75 pounds into 76 ounces and plugged that into Calorie King. It came back with 4,240 calories, 303.3 grams of fat, 86.7 grams sat fat, 1542 mg cholesterol, 3276 mg of sodium, no carbs, fiber or sugar, calcium and 366.2 grams of protein.

You said you could get the other info, just add it together, divide by the portion sizes and check out the damage.

I've made this soup with cut up chicken breast and whole wheat cheese tortellini and it wasn't bad. Cut back on alot of the fat and carbs.

If the BF won't let you remove the skin before cooking, at least let it cool down and skim the fat off of the top of the soup.

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-10-2008 at 05:02 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Wow, I'll never eat an entire chicken that's for sure, lol. Maybe I can take the skin off while he isn't looking. Thanks.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

A part of that 4.75 lbs of chicken is bones, which, of course, aren't edible. So a 4.75 lb chicken is not really 4.75 lbs of edible chicken. Hopefully you have a food scale because that's the only way I can think of to come anywhere close on figuring out the calories. If you are cutting the chicken off the bone before you put it in the soup, you can weigh it and that will give you a better idea of the actual calories in the chicken.

If you cook the chicken whole in the soup and separate it from the bones afterwards (probably what the recipe calls for because this will enhance the flavor of the soup), weigh the bones when you take them out and subtract from 4.75 lbs to figure out how much chicken went into the soup. This isn't quite as accurate since there is always some meat that gets discarded with the bones and it will weigh less after it is cooked, but it should get you close and you'll be estimating on the conservative side.

I think you'd be crazy to cook a whole chicken in soup with skin on it. The skin is only good when the chicken is roasted and it comes out nice and crispy. If you cook the skin in the soup, you're going to have soggy pieces of chicken skin floating around in your soup. Maybe I'm just squeamish when it comes to chicken skin, but I can't imagine wanting to eat that.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote