Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question I don't get it...scale issues...a little graphic...

Okay, so first off, I've had my digital Weight Watchers scale for about three years now.
Today is my weigh day, so after I peed this morning I weighed myself. The scale said 259 and I was all excited that I lost 2 pounds!! But, then I had to poop (LOL). So, after that I thought, "Well, maybe there's more weight to come off!" So, I weighed myself again. This time it said 263! How can the scale go from 259 to 263 in a matter of about 10 minutes?!
So, needless to say, I'm frustrated. Is there something wrong with my scale? Is there something wrong with me? LOL HELP!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #2  
Meg

It has to be the scale! Sometimes they can be erratic if they need new batteries or are on an uneven floor surface. Or maybe it's always been this goofy? Have you ever weighed ten minutes apart before to compare? Whatever it is, it is definitely not you! I'd take the two pounds that you originally saw and call it a successful week.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #3  

Thanks Meg
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #4  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

For what it's worth, when I weigh-in, I usually step on and off the scale a few times. I generally get 2 or 3 different numbers--once I get a number that comes up consistently, I go with that one
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

This happens to me ALL THE TIME!!!! i hate it. seriously, i'll poop and then the scale will go up. in the mornings though, i'll weigh myself, get off the scale and then try again (it's always different the second time). somewhere in the instructions for the scale it says that anytime you move the scale you should do this, i.e. ignore the first reading, step off and try again. i never move my scale but i do this anyway. i have no idea what it is! obviously it's probably the scale. maybe i'm pushing my knees together, maybe i'm stepping on different parts of the scale, who knows!?
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

You've got a long way to go to goal. Buy yourself a decent scale or every weigh-in between now and then will be an exercise in frustration. Best thing I ever did for my state of mind during this process was to blow too much money on a great Tanita scale. Absolutely no second guessing, get on one time and we're done. Really, when you think of all the work you're putting into this, a decent new scale isn't too much to ask for yourself.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #7  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

Just wanted to give you a . I am having scale issues, too, and I know how frustrating they can be! I second the motion that you buy yourself a new scale.
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #8  

Thanks for reminding me that I have a long way to go until goal! LOL I went out today and bought the same scale that I had been using...Weight Watchers by Conair. Cost me $30. But, I came home and there was a two pound difference. The new scale is 2 pounds down from the old, old scale. I'm unemployed, so a $30 scale is just about all I can afford! LOL Thank you all for your input!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #9  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I also second buying the Tanita scale. Can you return the new WW scale you just bought? You can get a good Tanita scale for about $40-$45 and I really recommend it, even if it is $10-$15 more than the WW scale. I bought a Taylor scale a few years ago and it would give such inconsistent readings within a few seconds of each other that it drove me crazy. I finally got a tanita a few weeks ago, and it's fabulous! You can step on 5 times in a row and it gives the same reading each time. Fantastic and no more guessing what I really weigh.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #10  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I third the Tanita scale. I bought one with a coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $30. I love the thing and it weighs me the same as my doctor's office does, so i know it's on point!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
You've got a long way to go to goal. Buy yourself a decent scale or every weigh-in between now and then will be an exercise in frustration. Best thing I ever did for my state of mind during this process was to blow too much money on a great Tanita scale. Absolutely no second guessing, get on one time and we're done. Really, when you think of all the work you're putting into this, a decent new scale isn't too much to ask for yourself.
I love my Tanita scale! It's so accurate. I can step on it 10 times, and it will read the exact same number down to 0.2 lbs every time. It was only about $50. I highly recommend!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #12  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

My WW scale is crazy too--- I have to pick it up off the floor completely, put it in exactly the same place each time, and then I weigh myself at least three times to make sure the weight registers the same each time.

If I just slide it across the floor, that messes things up. If it's tilted funny, that messes it up.

So I follow a strict routine when it comes to weighing (and yes, I also weigh AFTER a poop *just in case*... and it's usually at least a pound lighter.)

TMI- oh well!

As for buying a new scale--- now that I'm a few months in and 28 pounds down... I would NOT want to mess up all my charts and numbers and graphs with a "new" starting weight. Oh no. I'll just deal with my pesky WW scale for now and deal with a new one if mine dies!

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 03-14-2008 at 12:34 PM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetarysiren25 View Post
Okay, so first off, I've had my digital Weight Watchers scale for about three years now.
Today is my weigh day, so after I peed this morning I weighed myself. The scale said 259 and I was all excited that I lost 2 pounds!! But, then I had to poop (LOL). So, after that I thought, "Well, maybe there's more weight to come off!" So, I weighed myself again. This time it said 263! How can the scale go from 259 to 263 in a matter of about 10 minutes?!
So, needless to say, I'm frustrated. Is there something wrong with my scale? Is there something wrong with me? LOL HELP!
First off THANK YOU for posting this and verifying that I'm NOT the only one that tried that. I feel a lot less goofy now knowing that I'm not the only one. I was just curious how much -er- stuff weighs on average.

Second - Same thing happened to me this morning. Then it occurred to me that I've been a little gassy from upping my fiber intake. For a split second, I had myself convinced that the extra gas was responsible for the lighter first number.
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #14  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

I make sure my scale it put on the exact same spot on my bathroom floor every time and then I step on it two to three times to make sure I'm getting the right number.

I am going to remember the Tanita scale since so many are bragging about it for when I need to replace mine.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 8"

hey? is that WW scale the one that tells you if your centered when you step on it?

Cuz I finally got sick of my old one that told me 15 different weights each time i stepped on it and went and got me the WW scale at walmart. I LOVE IT! I've got that soft linoleum kitchen floor so I have a hard piece of particle board that I put on the floor and put my scale on that. And I get the same weight no matter how many times I step on it!!!!! It's a really good scale so far and haven't had any problems with it. I don't use the memory feature tho. I got it also cuz I love that it weighs to the tenth of a pound. My last one was ever .2 increments that wasn't accurate enough for me!

The other one was just probably getting old or battery low.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote