Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default A question about The Firm DVDs

I know there are a lot of you on here who use the Firm DVD's. A friend of mine loaned me hers to try out. So far -- I HATE them! They go soo fast. By the time I am figuring out what they are doing, they are on the the next step. I have watched them first to try and figure it out and then I think I got it and I go to do it and I totally mess up. It's more frustrating then anything -- does frustration burn calories because if so, I have burned a LOT. I know it is a good workout because just the little bit I have done has made me sore. But I'm wondering if there is a beginner video that goes through the moves step by step or just is maybe not so complex? I have been doing watp, but I'm bored silly with it and am trying to find a change to mix it up. I always end up going back to the watp no matter what I try. I really want to give the firm a chance, but I won't do these dvd's anymore. If there is a simpler one I may give it a try though.
marie8674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #2  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

I have the Firm an experienced simmilar frustration. I never really got their steps down, and have done them several times. I generally just use the steps that come with it and do lunges on them while I watch a girly movie. I don't know if there is a good beginner version, but I'm not a fan. You have to find something that you really enjoy doing, or you just wont do it. If you continue to be frustrated, I would find something else
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174/See Ticker/130

Oh I'm so glad to hear that. I thought it was just me becuase I've talked to a couple of people who have them and just love them. I thought I must be the most uncoordinated person ever. I think I'm going to stick to WATP. I'm hoping soon enough I will be able to walk outside!
marie8674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

I think it really depends on which dvds you get. Some of the instructors are better than others. I really like Allie and Allison.
Emily is difficult to follow, her cues are not very good.

I love my Firm workouts - I get much better exercise with these than the WATP - my heart rate gets up faster. Just remember to keep moving and modify the moves until you can get up to speed.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/162/140

Height: 4' 11"

Talking You Too??

Marie I feel your pain. I feel so clutzy trying to do the the Firm. I stopped trying to do the cardio and focused on the toning dvds, follow the tutorials and now feel vaguely competent. I'm looking for diversity but if I can't do the Firm how can I do Turbo Jams or Hip Hop Abs?

Is there a better way to master the FIRM?
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #6  
Gwen

S/C/G: 234/ticker/150

Height: 5'7.5

On the Hi Def Sculpt DVD they have a section on the main menu screen that says "Firm Moves". I think they go through and show you there. I never watched though and I know that they have them in the booklet as well.
Honestly. I remember literally crying in the begining because I could not keep up. Practice makes perfect. Now I can keep up with them and it feels great.
Gwen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

I have some aerobics class experience so most of the moves were familiar to me, but even so, some of the older (80's & early 90's) FIRM DVDs go too fast for my taste.

I like the ones from the Body Sculpting System 2 (the first ones with the "sculpting stick"), although sometimes I still have to pause it when they're moving equipment around, I don't think I'll ever be able to set up as fast as them! lol. They tend to start out simple (sometimes with explanations/definitions) and add on the more complicated moves, instead of just plowing right into it.

I haven't done anything from the newest series or two, so I have no advice on those.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

With practive, I'm much better at Turbo Jam than at Firm. I like how the Firm makes me feel. So I plow on with hope that I will be awesome sometime soon.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote