Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Lack of Walking Progress

I was so proud of myself, I've been walking at least 30 minutes daily for about three months now. Yesterday I decided to tackle our hill from the bottom, walking up to the top (not a huge hill, maybe 250 feet, but straight up). Even being in better shape than I was, I started huffing and puffing on the way up, got all sweaty, and didn't really notice much difference in my physical abilities than before I started all the walking. Uphill is such a difference from walking on flat surfaces. I guess I won't really notice any difference until I lose a lot more weight or start climbing that darn hill every day. Sigh.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #2  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

I did something similar today. I have been walking on a flat track at the park and then today I went to a different park and walked. Well, their track has inclines on it and my legs really felt it! *lol* I've decided to add that park into my routine every other day to get that huffy puffy heart raising feeling!
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Even at my top weight I could walk for hours on a flat surface (I had to at work). However, stairs killed me. You use different muscles for walking and climbing. You seem to already know that to build your endurance you could try walking the hill more often. Good luck!
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #4  

I love Wendy's attitude about it all. Actually, Anne's and Paula's too. I've been exercising regularly for about ten months now, and I crave that huffy puffy / sweaty feeling so that I can feel as though I've accomplished something. Great work on recognizing ways to improve your fitness routine.

And, Anne, 82 lbs??? Wow! That's amazing! I'm hoping to get there myself sometime soon.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You should be proud! Sticking to an exercise program for 3 months is awesome!
Add that hill in to your routine. The way to increase fitness is to push yourself a little bit each time. Soon you will be trotting up and down it with no problem!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I agree - sticking to walking for 3 months regardless of it being a flat surface or up the side of a building is wicked! yay!! i want you to sprinkle some mojo over me please to get my *** moving

i think wendy had it right, put that hill on the agenda a few times a week and you'll kick it's BEE-HIND in no time!! you goooooo girlie!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

for your keeping up with the exercise for 3 months. That is an awesome accomplishment. Like the PPs have said doing different exercises challenges your body in different ways. If it were me, I would take that hill as my next challenge to overcome and start working it a few times a week until I no longer got winded while going up it. You can also try to change your speed while walking to vary your pace and that will give you a bit different workout.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Yeah - whether you huff and puff or not - just walking that hill should be looked at as an accomplishment!!

But, I know what you mean. I have been taking the stairs at work since mid-December (132 stairs). I try for twice a day = some weeks I am better about it than others - but I SWEAR that it isn't any easier than when I first strated. (although, deep down, I know that it is a little easier). I can get on my treadmill and jog a mile in 12 minutes, but those darn stairs kill me every time!!!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297.4/280.4/180

Height: 5'11"

I live in a very hilly area, so I have to hit a lot of them whether I'm hiking in the woods or walking on the roads. There was one wooded hill that used to kill me. I would have to stop and take a drink of water and stretch out about 3 times during the climb to get to the top. But I made myself keep doing it every day. In about a week and a half to two weeks, I did the walk as usual, and made it all the way to the top without stopping. I didn't even realize it until I got up there. There's an awesome feeling of accomplishment when you tackle a big one. So keep plugging away at it. It's ok if you struggle, and it's ok if you even need to stop to gather yourself before going again. The key is sticking with it, and then the next time you'll be telling us all how getting up there was a breeze. That great feeling is soooo worth the work.
Jen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

Awesome job on your daily exercise routine! I just started 3 days ago, so I will hopefully stick with it like you. Unfortunately I live in Az so for one thing it's as flat as a pancake, but for another, I've only got about another month before I have to move my walking back inside to the treadmill for fear of heat exhaustion, lol. I can add some inclines then I guess! But I much prefer being outside, especially now with the orange blossom smelling so amazing.
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8

Before you know it, that hill will get easier. I have a huge hill by me I used to have to pause a couple of times to catch my breath. Now I can walk up it without having to stop.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #12  

Thanks everybody! It really does help to know I'm not alone.

I was very subtle when I had to pause going up, stopped to check my iPod, etc. LOL. Like I'm fooling anybody.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #13  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
I was very subtle when I had to pause going up, stopped to check my iPod, etc. LOL. Like I'm fooling anybody.

hahaha! That is sooo something I would do!! *lol*
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote