Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #1  

Default Gaining weight but seem to be losing inches

I have been pretty consistent since starting weight training (again!) in Sept./07. I have been steadily gaining weight but I feel tighter and lighter and appear to look skinnier even though the scale is not showing that. My clothes are not really fitting that much looser so what is happening???? Is there such a thing as a "fat shift"? It appears that all my weight is moving towards my stomach (I am a pear shape). Any ideas?
Gumbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #2  

Forgot to mention that I am doing cardio on my off days of weight training.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

I started an exercise program 3 weeks ago. I'm not gaining weight, I've plateaued at 133-136, though I continue to lose inches. Well not "inches" yet since it's only been 3 weeks, but I've lost an additional 1/2" inch off my waist while at the same weight.
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Gumby, how is your food? Often people gain weight exercising if they don't restrict their calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #5  

I feel that I am eating pretty healthy. I don't calorie count except for every once in a while just to make sure I am on track. I typically have a bowl of All Bran and Fibre One cereal with strawberries for breakfast along with egg whites, lunch is usally a huge salad with either chicken breast or 1/2 cup beans for protein and usually some fruit and yogurt, supper is whatever the rest of the family is having but I watch my portions, I have at least one - two snacks a day and they are usually a low cal protein and a carb.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

It is absolutely possible to stay the same weight or gain a little if you are weight training and all at the same time losing inches....

This picture of Fat vs. Muscles

says it all I think, the fat (yellow) is LARGE and weighs 5 lbs. the muscle (red) is small and weighs 5 lbs also ...Hence why you would weigh the same if your are weight training but be losing inches and be smaller ... Which is a really good thing IMHO ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote