Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/Tracker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Agave nectar

Good morning all - I was going through some of the threads recently and saw several references for agave nectar. What is this, how do you use it and is it found easily ? Thanks for the info.
michigan girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

From my understanding, it is very similar to honey in consistency and can basically be used as such in place of regular sugar. I have been looking at my regular grocery stores and have not been able to find it anywhere. I think I'm going to have to go to more of a specialty store like a Whole Foods--I'm not sure even Trader Joe's would have it (I checked last time I was there, but maybe I was just looking in the wrong section).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #3  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I buy it at Trader Joe's. It is near the syrup and costs about $2.50...in California. I think it would be the same everywhere. I use it in place of a lot of things. I use it to sweeten my greek yogurt and I even put it on waffles instead of sf maple syrup. I love it!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I found some yesterday at Whole Foods. I haven't tried it yet. It was in 2 different sections--there was some in the area with the sugars and other sweeteners, and there was some with the honey. The ones with the honey were cheaper than the ones with the sugar
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Jill - that's so odd that they were different prices in the different locations!

I personally don't use it a lot - I make my own bbq sauce with it and put a little of it on plain yogurt. We buy the Trader Joes brand - it's the cheapest I've found. DH is a Type II diabetic (it's lower on the glycemic index and glycemic load than other sweetners) so he uses it when he needs to sweeten something - iced tea, plain yogurt, as syrup on pancakes or waffles. It's VERY sweet. You don't need very much.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote