Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default SuperFoods Daily Accounting

Deep breath ... I am absolutely blown away by Glory today. Oh I've been following her around the boards for a while and have always appreciated her very much, I even bought the book -however- today she is striking a chord with me.
I CANNOT figure out how to maintain. I always just diet back down. This isn't good.
For a couple of weeks now, I've been mulling/grieving over this. Slim by the end of summer, thick by New Years, depressed all of February, start up again in March or April, slim by the end of summer ... dum dum dum.
Ya know how some folks post that they need a kick in the pants? I think I got it today with all this chitter chatter about Glory. She is a wonderful example. How freudian is it that I don't see her post very often lately?! Avoidance you say?

So ... I've printed up daily checklists. I have a list of SuperFoods in my purse. Would anyone care to join me in an accountability thread?

Today I have had ....
tomatoes (in soup with cabbage)
salmon
green tea
and a slice of turkey

for a night snack I should have oatmeal with soy milk and a grapefruit. I'll let you know how that goes.

Join me?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #2  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Hi! Who is Glory??
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #3  

Oh my! I should have remembered that 3FC is such a huge place.

I'll post a link to one of her posts and you'll see why I'm so impressed.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84601
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Ha Susan! I used to count super foods everyday and it might be fun to do it again. I used to do it like this:

B - 1/2 cup Nature's path pumpkin flax granola, fat free Greek yogurt with honey, 2 spoons of wheat germ

S - 6 oz blueberries

L - salad with spinach leaves, orange pepper strips, grape tomatoes, red onions, broccoli slaw, shredded carrots, 90 calories of chicken breast, low fat ginger vinaigrette dressing

S - tangelo

S - no sugar added cocoa

S - cut up veggies - sugar snap peas, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, red pepper strips

D - maple glazed salmon, brown rice, broccoli

Super foods - oats (granola, brown rice, wheat germ), tomato, yogurt, salmon, broccoli, blueberries, pumpkin (orange pepper, carrots), tea, beans (sugar snap peas), orange (tangelo), spinach - 11!

I started counting super foods before the second book, so I rarely remember to count apple, onions, garlic, honey, etc.

Just edited to add - I think it's fascinating that I still eat so many super foods without really trying, it is my new normal way of eating! Pretty cool after 3 years

Last edited by Glory87; 02-19-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #5  

I remember! We did it in the the general diets forum or support or something like that. We had a nice bunch of folks who posted their menus each day.

Today I've had tomatoes and cabbage (left over soup), oats, soy milk, a slice of turkey, squash and I haven't figured supper out yet ...

Supper was turkey and lots of leafy greens on a whole wheat bun with green tea. If I can bother to peel a grapefruit, that'll be 9 for today.

Last edited by srmb60; 02-19-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #6  

Wednesday ... I sidekicked a little ...peanutbutter, grapefruit juice, broccoli, chicken, walnuts, oatmeal with soy milk, green tea and yogurt ... 9!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #7  

Wednesday

B - 7:00 am 1/2 cup of Nature's path organic pumpkin flax cereal, fat free greek yogurt with honey, 2 spoons of wheat germ

S 10:00 package of fresh blueberries

L 12:00 Salad - spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, red onion, shredded carrot, broccoli slaw, orange pepper strips, 90 calories of chicken breast, low fat gingerly vinaigrette dressing

S: 1:00 100 calories no sugar added cocoa

S 3:00 tangelo

S 5:00 cut up veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, red pepper strips

D - went to play board games with friends, so stopped by the local organic grocery store and picked up a yummy turkey wrap sandwich on whole wheat lavash with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and sun dried tomato spread. On the side, I had a really great kale salad with olive oil and lemon dressing, lots of sesame seeds. Way too much dressing, but it was pre-packaged in the deli

S - too many whole wheat pita chips (always measure out a serving, never eat out of the bag) and some absolutely fabulous hummus

super foods - beans (sugar snap peas, hummus), spinach (kale, spinach), tomatoes, turkey, tea, oats (granola, whole grain pita, wheat germ), tangelo, blueberries, yogurt, pumpkin (carrots), broccoli (broccoli slaw) probably not enough sesame seeds on the salad to count, but still yummy! Eleven super foods (missing walnuts, tofu, salmon)
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Wednesday ... I sidekicked a little ...peanutbutter, grapefruit juice, broccoli, chicken, walnuts, oatmeal with soy milk, green tea and yogurt ... 9!
Sidekicks definitely count!! Thank god, or I'd never get pumpkin.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #9  

I like my pumpkin in pie But squash is fine too.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #10  

Thursday

B - 7:00 am 1/2 cup of Nature's path organic pumpkin flax cereal, fat free greek yogurt with honey, 2 spoons of wheat germ

S 10:00 package of fresh blueberries

L 12:00 Salad - spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, red onion, shredded carrot, broccoli slaw, orange pepper strips, 90 calories of chicken breast, low fat gingerly vinaigrette dressing

S: 1:00 100 calories no sugar added cocoa

S 3:00 tangelo

S 5:00 cut up veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, red pepper strips

D - home made pasta sauce with veggie crumbles, basil, sun dried tomato, red wine, spinach leaves over 2 oz of whole wheat pasta, side salad with green leaf, tomato, red onion, low fat gingerly vinaigrette

super foods - beans (sugar snap peas), spinach (kale, green leaf), tomatoes, soy, tea, oats (granola, whole wheat rotini, wheat germ), tangelo, blueberries, yogurt, pumpkin (carrots), broccoli (broccoli slaw) Eleven super foods (missing walnuts, turkey, salmon)

Last edited by Glory87; 02-21-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #11  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

Height: 5'6"

Do you know What I'm eating right now?

Meatballs. With oatmeal in them.

Go me!
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #12  

Go you Julia! I'm glad you stopped by! Did you read Glory's story? The magazine isn't out here yet.

I'm doing good today!

yogurt, chicken, mixed greens, walnuts, a really nice multigrain bread, green tea, blueberries, raw tomato, an orange ... nine again? If I had a slug of soy milk .... 10!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Susan, what does soy milk taste like? Anything like real milk?

Can you buy real Greek yogurt at regular grocery stores, or is it a specialty item?

Good luck with this!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think this may help those new to Dr. Pratt and his Superfoods:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/82/97166.htm

Pratt:

1. Beans: A great low-fat, low-calorie source of protein and an easy way to help control your weight and your blood sugar.
2. Blueberries: The best food on the planet to preserve a young brain as we mature.
3. Broccoli: The best food on the planet to prevent cancer.
4. Oats: A sure-fire way to lower your cholesterol.
5. Oranges: The most readily available source of vitamin C, which in turn lowers the rate of most causes of death in this country, for example, heart disease and cancer.
6. Pumpkin: Loaded with phytonutrients, which keep our skin young and help prevent damage from sunlight.
7. Wild salmon: A guaranteed way to lower your risk for cardiac-related death.
8. Soy: The only complete vegetarian source of protein.
9. Spinach: The best food on the planet to prevent cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, thus ensuring a lifetime of good vision.
10. Tea -- green or black: The easiest and cheapest no-calorie way to avoid heart disease and cancer.
11. Tomatoes: One of the easiest ways for men to avoid prostate cancer is the consumption of tomatoes and tomato-based products.
12. Skinless turkey breast: The leanest meat source of protein on the planet.
13. Walnuts: Consuming walnuts is an easy, tasty way to lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.
14. Yogurt: A tasty, easy way to boost your immune system.

AND

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10722493

* Apples
* Pomegranates
* Kiwis
* Garlic
* Onions
* Cinnamon
* Turmeric
*Dark chocolate
* Extra virgin olive oil
* Avocado
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #15  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

With the exception of turkey and fish, I eat all those things regularly.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote