Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Why, O WHY, do you hate me Scale?!

Yes, I am fairly certain that my scale is taunting me.
It knows how much i cross my fingers when i step on it, it knows how desperately I want the numbers to go down!

2 days ago, i stepped on it and it said 210! wow! 7 lbs lighter than the day before! I was so excited and i stepped back on it... 218. ugh.

Again this morning - 212! i step back on it because last night i was 215....
217. ugh.

why does it hate me!?
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hmmm... sounds like a new scale is in your future...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #3  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

not sure but i think we all weigh more the later the day gets
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #4  
Ashley

S/C/G: 172/163/140

Height: 5'6

yeah. we definitely weigh more at night. i weigh a good three or four pounds more at night than in the morning, i think it's normal. <3

believe me - i have a mean scale too!
fallenaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hmmm... sounds like a new scale is in your future...

Jay
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'll add that I can easily gain 4 lbs during the day and then lose them overnight. I've even lost as much as 6 lbs overnight. It's all water. Clothing can also increase my weight by 2 to 4 lbs (especially if I'm wearing shoes and a heavy sweater). Make sure you weigh yourself at a consistent time of the day. My preference is first thing in the morning, before eating, after going to the bathroom, naked.

But if you step on and then off and then on and your weight changes by 8 lbs, that's a good indication that it's time to get a new scale. Don't punish yourself any longer! Spend the $20 to $30 for a reliable scale.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I agree with Jay and Blue. Iweigh myslef about 8 times a day ! In the morning I get on and off about 5 times the most it varies is 1lb. I think anything more than that woudl indicate a broken scale and since yours is going up and down in more than 8lb increm,ents something is definitely wrong!

At the end of the day I weigh 2-5 lbs more than in the morning so that part I think is normal. Just make sure you consistently weigh yourself and control for all variables! I find for myself even 30 minutes can make a difference.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #7  
Oh Me Oh My

S/C/G: 196/192/140

Height: 5'6" - I am shrinking!

Kate, I know where you're coming from. Each morning I weigh myself and I step on then off then on then off, hoping it will go DOWN.

Eventually it will keep going lower as long as I stay true to myself but boy oh boy, it sure is frustrating.

I'm leery to get a newer scale - I got mine at a yard sale for 10 cents. I have to keep fixing the starting weight at 0.

I really have to buy a newer one - maybe it will show my weight as LESS!
2old2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #8  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Kate, haven't you heard about the conspiracy theory that all scales are out to get us and drive us insane?

Yup, have to agree w/others -- time for a new scale!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Why be a slave to the scale? It's crazy making!

In a couple of weeks, I am starting a new challenge with a few TBL ladies and all are welcome...It's going to focus on positive lifestyle changes, consistency, habits, exercise, eating healthy, inches lost and so on, and not be about the scale. I hate "scale tales"! I don't own a scale. I weigh in at the doctor's or the gym and leave it at that!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #10  

You should not be weighing more than once a week and the scale should be on the bottom of your list of things that point to success. You can be thin and unhealthy because you have too much body fat. You can be overweight and very healthy because you have a lot of muscle from exercising. Everyone's weight changes throughout the day. GET OFF THE SCALE...put it in the closet and leave it there. Measure you success by the permanent lifestyle changes you are making: drinking 6-8 cups of water, eating more fruits and vegetables, regular exercise 6-7 days a week, choosing well when you go out to eat.

I wish you success in your weight loss indeavors.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #11  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

The scale is not the be all, end all and yes, success is measured in a thousand different ways. Ultimately this is all of our goals; to get to a healthy, sustainable wt, losing fat while gaining muscle, and incorporating sensible, lifelong habits.

But when you are staying on track and working really hard - - - sometimes it's just really, really encouraging and a real morale booster to see your success in a concrete way like the scale going down.

Sweat is the cologne of accomplishment.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #12  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

Yep, I think the scales are conspiring to drive us all !
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/210/207

Height: 5'10"

I agree that you may need a new scale as well. I also try not to weigh myself more than twice a week. I used to do it every day and it made me crazy. The number on the scale determined my mood for the day. It was insane! There has to be a balance and if you're weighing yourself hours apart throughout the day you are going to see fluctuations that you won't like and you'll beat on yourself for it. Once or twice a week is plenty. Hugs to you, it's probably nothing.
Nancy CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #14  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I think you should send the scale back to the facture and get a full rebate!!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Buy a new scale.

I had this same problem with a digital scale we had after I changed the batteries the first time. It would fluctuate wildly (10-40 lbs wild...) Personally, I think, in regards to digital scales, you get what you pay for. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a scale, so I bought an analog one. It works fine and isn't much different from what my doctor's scale says either.

BTW, I weigh myself daily (only in the morning, naked, and after using the facilities.) I know some people are against this, but it keeps me on track. I'm in maintenance mode, so if it fluctuates more then 2-3 lbs and I didn't go heavy on the salt the day before, then I adjust my day accordingly.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-13-2008 at 06:34 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote