South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #1  
Dawn

S/C/G: 240/195/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Newbie Here!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Dawn and I'm now to the South Beach Diet, I have been eating less and excercising since before Christmas, but was feeling frustrated because I was seeing little to no progress.

Then a friend suggested I try South Beach. I've been on it less than a week, and have dropped 5 pounds already!

But here's what's bothering me... a while ago I purchased one of those scales that tells you your body fat percentage, water percentage, and weight in pounds. In the past week my water percentage and pounds have gone down, but my fat percantage has not changed.

Does anyone know how long I will be in the stage of losing only water? Does anyone else own one of the scales, and did you see similar results?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dawn
FinallyReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Congrats on losing 5 lbs!!!

I basically just assume that once I transition into P2 that's when I'm losing body fat. It really depends on the person at the time. Just keep trucking along and I'm sure you'll see the changes in the body fat percentage.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the beach, I agree with Kim, just keep following the plan and you will see results.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats on your success so far!

From my understanding, those scales aren't always very accurate. One thing I've heard is that they send a slight current through your body in order to get the measurements and percentages. Well, the current isn't strong enough to reach your entire body, so it only shoots up to maybe your waist and just assumes that same percentage for your whole body. So, if you're losing fat first from your face, chin, arms, chest, etc., it may not be accounted for on that type of scale.

As with any plan, the initial big weight loss when you first start is mostly water weight. The fat loss will catch up with you in time
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Dawn! Glad to have you with us and glad to hear that SBD is helping you through your plateau!

Water loss is very common in the beginning of a diet. I totally second what Jilly said--those type of scales are known to be pretty inaccurate--so don't let that frustrate you. As long as you eat protein, do cardio and strength training, and follow a plan, you can be pretty certain that you'll lose fat. I go to a nutrition clinic where they use a current (through my whole body) to get my percentages. You could try something like that if you really want to know for sure, or find someone at your gym (or elsewhere) who is trained and capable with the accurate use of calipers to measure your fat percentage. That's apparently the most accurate way (as long as the person does it correctly) of getting your fat percentage. A low tech way to keep track is to measure your inches regularly. Fat takes up more space than muscle!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-12-2008 at 01:03 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to the Beach, Dawn!!! So glad you're here!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219/215/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Dawn,
My name is Dawn too and I just posted that I'm new to South Beach today. I can't give you any advice on the scale thing, but I just wanted to say hi and congrats on your first 5 pounds! Way to go!
Dawn
dawnhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: [url=http://www.TickerFactory.

wow 5 pounds go you ! you will find the pounds just slide off
blondywants2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #9  
Dawn

S/C/G: 240/195/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Thanks For the warm welcome!

It's so nice to meet you all! I think I've decided that 5 pounds is 5 pounds, and I'll take it whereever I can get it! It has really given me a HUGE boost in motivation, so I guess I just need to quit analyzing it!

Thanks so much for your comments!
FinallyReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Dawn and Dawnhere!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote