Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #1  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Snack question

Question: I知 at school 4 days a week and I find that I tend to get hungry while I知 in class. Besides the Atkins bar what would you suggest snacking on while I知 in class?
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe me View Post
Question: I’m at school 4 days a week and I find that I tend to get hungry while I’m in class. Besides the Atkins bar what would you suggest snacking on while I’m in class?
Cheese, hard boiled eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, leftover meat or chicken, pork rinds, homemade cheese or pepperoni crisps, celery sticks, green pepper strips, raw cut up broccoli florets or cauliflower florets dipped in ranch dressing...all are excellent snacks when doing Atkins.

With all due respect, get rid of the Atkins bars! Atkins Nutritionals claims Atkins bars are "appropriate for Induction" which makes absolutely NO SENSE! Read the label..it says they contain SOY, MILK & PEANUTS. Where are any of these ingredients on the acceptable foods list for Induction??? They also state they contain 0 grams of sugar alcohol. The Chocolate Peanut Butter bar starts out with 22 total carbs...it contains 10 grams of fiber...this brings the total net carbs to 12...HOWEVER, the label states they are 2 net carbs Confused yet?? Glycerin is deducted and guess what glycerin is....Yup, its a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!! Save your almost $2 per bar and make yourself some tuna salad or a hard boiled egg....You'll be happy you did!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-11-2008 at 05:34 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

EDIT: JG is right on with her recommendations!

I like beef jerky for a quick snack, though it tends to be salty and it's hard to find some with low carbs (WalMart Brand has 3g per 1 ounce serving).

Last edited by Azure; 03-11-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I take almonds, pecans or Brazil nuts with me to school. They are an easy way to make it through without issue. 8 Brazil nuts, 20 pecan halves and 22 almonds is about an ounce, as far as I have been able to measure. Every nut is different and all that
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I take almonds, pecans or Brazil nuts with me to school. They are an easy way to make it through without issue. 8 Brazil nuts, 20 pecan halves and 22 almonds is about an ounce, as far as I have been able to measure. Every nut is different and all that
Nuts make a wonderful snack if you are not on Induction. They are not permitted on Induction but, may be added when you progress to OWL....they are on the 3rd rung of the carb ladder.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Ah, I remember college. The boring lectures, the all nighters, staying up to watch Doctor Who on Sundays, the rocket scientist math teacher who could not understand why everyone thought her Finance II class was hard. That woman still haunts my dreams. Good times, good times.

I would agree with JerseyGyrl that you should cut out the bars and any other low-carb, premade product. During Induction, you want your body to get used to eating natural. You need to give your body and your mind time to adjust to living without the sugar/flour and their substitutes.

My favorite snacks are sticks of celery, green & red papper and cucumber. Cut up everything and put them in a baggie. Depending on how long you are at school, you may need to add some protein, like those packets of tuna with mayo or olive oil. Okay, so at this point you are probably going to need a nice lunch bag and be prepared to be away from home for at least one meal. But you cannot let this upset your plan. You have to get and be prepared. Thsi means having some protein, carb and fat to eat.

Good luck and let everyone know if you need more information.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Definitely the cut up veggies (if you get it from the dining hall salad bar stick some ice in the bottom of a cup to keep them fresh)
I'm not on Atkins (I'm kinda finding my own Hybrid) I like soy nuts or laughing cow cheese (it's purse friendly!) Turkey Jerky is great too I've seen prepacked PB ahd celery (not sure if its natural tho!)`
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #8  

Thanks for all the suggestion I really do appreciate them and value your suggestions. I don't mind taking celery on the go but I find that it gets rubbery too quickly. My mom bought some on saturday and by tuesday they went all limp on me. Not sure what to do about that.

I never actually tried the Atkins bar. But I was thinking of buying them because they seem so convenient. Just grab them and go. But after reading what Jerseygirl wrote I think I will pass on the bars. Plus $2 is a lot for one bar..especially when your working on a student budget.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Gosh! I think the above items are great suggestions but as these are snacks to eat during a class I would stick with those that are a)quiet not crunchy and, as my inner 12 year old sniggers (per Fay) b) not, uhhhmmm, stinky (thinking about the egg). Maybe things in the quiet but mighty category like cheese, meat and cheese rollups, beef jerkey.

Good luck!!!SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

StayingCalm, how right you are. I forgot about the noise factor with celery.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

LOL. I imagined myself chomping away somewhere and everyone looking at me while I'm oblivious. I gotta admit though...I think cracking open a hard boiled egg might have more of an impact than celery. Why do the most satisfying things have to be loud or a little smelly? It is just not fair!!!

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #12  

lol
Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #13  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Hehe--I was having jerky in one of my classes last week and it's not the most...non-obvious snack either! Of course, this was a 6-person seminar, and I happen to have TMJ, my my jaw pops loudly and you have to tear a bite off of a larger bite with your teeth... I'm sure my professor thought it was cute
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I was kinda thinking a small handful of unsalted almonds (but as SIC mentioned...the noise factor may be an issue!)! I'm still laughing about that one (visualizing you in class chomping away! ). Here's a suggestion...maybe carry around a very small cooler where you can hold your cheese, low-carb yogart (dannon strawberry is pretty good), cottage cheese). Also, a nice 0 carb whey isolate protein drink is good. You can carry it around in a shaker and just add water when you get to school or make it before with some soy milk, davinci low carb SF syrup and store in your little cooler. Hope these suggestions help! But for goodness sake (and the rest of the class...NO EGGS PLEAZZZZE!

Glad to see your getting some good advice here breathe me and are still here. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #15  
PBL
han - working in kilos

S/C/G: 75/75/58

Height: 169 cm (5'7)

I like:

Green Capsicum (Pepper) as it's not too crunchy, with a little tub of an Australian Spinach Dip that is about .2 carb per serve. I just keep it in a little container with a tiny ice pack. It's worth being prepared, that way you don't end up buying crap.
PBL is offline   Reply With Quote