Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Recipes for the Outdoor Grill/Smoker!!

I live in Northeast US, and we are still having some cold days, but Spring is coming soon! We are going to be setting up the grill and smoker soon and I wondered if people could post some of their fav grill recipes.

I know I've wanted to try more oven roasted veggies/fruits. But with grill season coming, I want to cook some on the grill too.

Any creative recipes out there??? Marinades?? Interesting food combos?

Thanks in advance guys!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

I always make vegetable packets with foil for the grill and they are yummy! I use onion and squash, or mushroom and onions, slice them, a dollop of butter or olive oil, and garlic, and wrap them up to throw on the grill with the meat. Then I can be outside with everyone else. Guests always rave about the veggies, they don't know how easy it is for me, lol.
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

I like the vegetable packets, too....I use canola oil spray and a touch of olive oil with potatoes, carrots, and onions. Great with a lean pork chop!
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #4  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Sounds so good! Veggies are so yummy, it's a wonder why more people, esp. Americans, don't eat tons every day...my DH included! He loves to grill, so I want us to have some great tasting recipes that will make him want to follow me and eat more healthy foods. These veg packets sound great for the kids too! Thanks.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

We like to grill salmon with any number of seasonings. As a side, we grill tomatoes. Slice large tomatoes very thickly, about four slices per tomato. Mix olive oil with crushed garlic (I used jarred), Italian seasonings and a little salt. Brush over tomatoes. Grill. We only grill them on one side and they take only a few minutes.

Hot wings. Grilling is a fabulous alternative to deep frying these guys. Much nicer flavor, too.

Marinade boneless skinless chicken breasts in Italian dressing and (original) Mrs. Dash. Grill.

Buy yourself a veggie sautee basket thingy for the grill. Bed, Bath and Beyond also sells "kabob" baskets that allow you to keep the veggies whole and rotate them like a kabob, but not have to spear them.

Veggie burgers. I recently tried spicy lentil burgers (just Google it; the recipe is everywhere). They were great. Next time, I'm going to add some TVP for texture.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I love grilling artichokes. It takes a little prep, but they are amazing! You trim them as usual, cut them in half (stem to tip), and cut out the choke. Then you steam them for about 30 mins. When the grill is ready, brush them all over with olive oil and season however you want them grill them until they have nice grill marks on both sides. They are so smoky and delicious! They don't even need anything to dip in either, they are good by themselves.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-14-2008 at 07:25 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #7  

I like to put hearty things like whole onions, carrots, etc - wrapped in foil - buried into the coals after they are burned down. They get all smoky and soft.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

You can slice zucchini - the larger ones, not the tiny ones - the long way and put a little oil and spices on them and grill. Very yummy. Also slices of sweet potato, though I usually microwave them a little first, or they take too long.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #9  

Hi! I'm a newbie to your forums, but registered tonight because of this Whole Foods section. How cool to find people who share the same thoughts on food as myself.

One of my favorite recipes is almost a non-recipe, it's so simple! You just combine about 3/4 cup of maple syrup (the real stuff, not Mrs. Butterworth!) with about 1/4 cup of soy sauce, then add salmon fillets and marinate for a day or two. You want the salmon to either be covered by the marinade, or give it a turn from time to time.

To cook, remove the salmon pieces from the marinade. Grind over a good amount of fresh, coarse pepper and grill until done to your liking. You can also cook it under the broiler.

When it's done, it's almost candied in texture, and has an amazing flavor. I love it hot, warm or even cold, and often flake any leftovers into a salad.

I'm off to do more reading here....but hope to get to know you all better!

<-------- I love this guy!!
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote