Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This weeks healthiest food - Grapefruit

I don't eat much grapefruit although I love it. Unfortunately it interferes with many medications, including birth control. As much as I love Grapefruit, I don't want a Grapefruit baby

Food of the Week . . . Grapefruit
Did you know that the nutrients found in grapefruit can promote a healthy heart? Grapefruit is a good source of dietary fiber and contains pectin, a type of soluble fiber that forms a gel-like substance in the intestinal tract that can trap fats like cholesterol. In animal studies, grapefruit pectin inhibited the development of atherosclerosis. Animals fed a high cholesterol diet with added grapefruit pectin had 24% narrowing of their arteries, while animals fed only the high-fat diet had 45% narrowing. Grapefruit is also a good source of the mineral potassium, which helps to regulate blood pressure. Additionally, red and pink grapefruit contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant carotenoid that has been found to inhibit free radical damage to LDL cholesterol. Higher body levels of lycopene (a reflection of dietary intake) have been associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=25
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

Yay! I love grapefruit and have one every morning. Thanks for letting me know I'm doing a better thing for my health than I thought!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I love it, too! In fact, we had a pomello with our roasted chicken last night.

When I was on cholesterol meds, grapefruit was forbidden. Since I'm not on any right now, I'm lovin' it!

I didn't know that about the birth control. Funny how grapefruit will mess with meds but oranges and lemons don't.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yep . . . grapefruit is a wonderful food and one that I really, really miss since I've been taking Lipitor. Enjoy it . . . It's great.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am not a huge fan of grapefruit. I can't remember the last time I ate it.

But, I have had Pomellos, like cbmare mentioned. I buy it for the weekend usually and the family shares one. I like the consistiency MUCH better.

Funny thing. While someone was questioning me about my weight loss and the foods that I eat, this woman said I must eat lots of grapefruit. I told her that I haven't eaten one in years. She INSISTED that in order to lose weight, one MUST eat grapefruit. I mean incredibly, incredibly insistient. It took everything I had to not let into her.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I didn't know that grapefruit could interfere with medications! (Especially BC !!!!!)

It's a good thing I've never liked it. Even with sugar (the good ole' fashioned way my parents used to have it) I just can't stomach it. Leaves a bitter aftertaste

I'm all over almost every kind of fruit & veg there is available... but grapefruit is one of the very few that I just don't want to eat. Oh well! Plenty of other delicious fruit/veg make up for that!

Robin - If it took eating grapefruit, then I guess you & I haven't really lost any weight!

Last edited by Lovely; 03-10-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Robin, if that was all there was to losing weight, then none of us would need this support forum and the world would be a skinny place. I can't believe how some people insist that they know how you lost all that weight when you were the one doing it!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

vomit vomit vomit...one of the few foods I truly detest
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
vomit vomit vomit...one of the few foods I truly detest
I'm afraid I'll have to second this. I can't stand it either.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Yeah Grapefruit

I love grapefruit. Eat a half as my evening snack 3x per week in season. After carefully eating the meat of each section, I then slowly rip up the sections and eat all that goodness as well - leaving only a smooth bowl for the compost bin.

Thank you California. Thank you Florida. Thank you Texas. Keep them coming.

[Thanks for the reminder to enjoy them now while I'm not taking any interfering medications.]

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Robin, if that was all there was to losing weight, then none of us would need this support forum and the world would be a skinny place. I can't believe how some people insist that they know how you lost all that weight when you were the one doing it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post

Robin - If it took eating grapefruit, then I guess you & I haven't really lost any weight!

Yes, Faerie, I wanted to tell her something to that affect. A few other things too . Like if I should ever gain the weight back (G-d forbid), I'll try it her way next time, since there can't be any possible way to lose weight TWICE without eating grapefruit. Could you imagine?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Mmmm. I like them, but like several others, I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit with my meds. I looked up lipitor which is the main one, and found that grapefruit makes it do whatever exactly is that it does more so. I only recently found this out, but I only eat them occasionally, and haven't had any adverse effects. Now interference with BC I can understand not eating it!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I like grapefruits, but have to sprinkle a bit of sugar on them! Didn't know they interfered with BCPs, though!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #14  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

They also interfere with many anti-depressants and anxiety medication or anti-psychotics. Needless to say, I can't eat them. :-)
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I like the red ones, but I'm not so keen on the regular kind. They always seem to be more expensive then other citrus though, so I just buy oranges instead.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote