Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default Excercise Question

I am finishing up my first week on ww and was wondering how often you increase your exercise. Right now I am walking 1 mile everyday and thought I would increase it one mile more every time I drop down into a different point range. That way I will be decreasing food and increasing exercise. What do you think?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I usually keep my increasing activity & my decreasing points on separate scales. I usually increase or change up my exercise a bit every couple of weeks. But, it's all about if I feel the intensity or if I feel that I'm lacking.

If this works for you in the beginning that's great! But for me, at this point, my exercise would be increasing too slowly as it can take a little while for me to lose 10 pounds.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

I think it sounds like a good plan. Just remember that it's not written in stone and if you find you're not losing fast enough, you can always increase your exercise at any time. Also, changing up the type of exercise can be beneficial too. A little strength training can add some muscle that will help you burn more calories.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I would judge the increase based on how you feel, sometimes you can become much more fit than the scale would indicate.
After a week or so, increase the amount of time you walk for, say 10 minutes or so. Or, try to reach that 1 mile mark in less time than before. Then see how you feel, you can adjust that time. You always want to push yourself just a bit when you exercise, but not go over board.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Like the PPs see how you feel afterward. If it's not taxing you at all then it's time to up the speed and/or distance. If you are struggling to go that mile then you need to work on it until you aren't struggling. I would also try to find other activities you can do so you don't get bored with the walking.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #6  
On the Trail

S/C/G: 270/230/220

Height: 5'11"

I second the recommendation to add strength training. All of my favorite inspirational posters have strength training in common. I reckon they're doing something right.
AutumnHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #7  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
I would judge the increase based on how you feel, sometimes you can become much more fit than the scale would indicate.
After a week or so, increase the amount of time you walk for, say 10 minutes or so. Or, try to reach that 1 mile mark in less time than before. Then see how you feel, you can adjust that time. You always want to push yourself just a bit when you exercise, but not go over board.
I agree. One day I just felt like going after that second mile and I did. Same with the third. I didn't plan it I just felt like I was able. Your plan also sounds good too. Just do what works for you.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I increase my exercise bike rides by 2 minutes/week, unless my knees are exceptionally sore then I don't increase that week.

I would say if your mile is getting easy and you feel like going farther, that would be a good time to increase it.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote