Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #1  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Default Loving the StepMill

So, does anyone else here like the StepMill? I just started it a few days ago. It took getting out of a comfort zone for me to get on it - since it's so *tall* and places your booty right at eye level of everyone on the ellipticals and bikes! (Just in case they hadn't noticed the size of it already.) Anyways, I started at 5 minutes after doing my regular 60 min on the elliptical. I've been adding 1 minute a day and look forward to being able to do it for 20+ minutes. Shy of running, which I'm leary of doing much of at this weight, it gets my HR WAY up there. It kicks my ***. Hopefully quite literally.

Anyone use it regularly? I never see many people on it at the gym. Occasionally, there's the mountain climber type training on it all geared up with huge backpacks. But most of the time it's sits there unused.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Yes, I have used it and YES it does kick butt, literally... Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and trying it out...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Yes, I've used it and I love it too! It really does kick butt. I also like that, similar to a treadmill (and unlike the elliptical, where it's up to me to maintain the pace), the machine sets the speed and I just have to keep up. I also like that it requires a lot less coordination than a stair master (which I am just miserable on). And it sort of cool to be up so high--you can really see what is going on. We have three stairmills at my gym and there's usually someone on at least one of them, if not all three.

Unfortunately, I injured my knee in October and since then I haven't been able to use it (no stairs until my knee is 100%). But until then, it was a regular part of my cardio workouts.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  

I love it! I just started using it too, I made it for about 5 minutes after I did my run, I want to add a minute like you said each day to get up to 20 minutes.
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #5  

Whats the difference between that and a stairmaster?

I tried the stairmaster today, not the old fashioned ones where you put your feet on the pedals, the one that is like the mini escalator.

I did 5 minutes. It was hard.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I think stepmill and stair master are the same but just different company names...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #7  

The stepmill is like an esculator, it has like 4-5 steps and you just keep on walking up the steps. The stairmaster I think is one of those things that you just walk step place.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #8  
One life, live it well

StairMaster (Nautilus now?) makes the StepMill. The one at my gym looks like this:

For me it is lower impact on my knees than the stair stepper.

Caitbeans & MissGiggles - which program do you do? I've only done manual and "Rolling Hills" so far. I like the Rolling Hills one, but will try others.

Last edited by Nori71; 03-09-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #9  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Oooh, my gym has one of those too. And most of the time, it just sits there all neglected and lonely... I think I'm gonna pay it a little visit tomorrow!

Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

I know, for as good of a workout as I feel I get on it, I'm suprised that it's not in use all the time. My gym only has 1 - to about 25 each of ellipticals and bikes and treadmills!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #11  
I Love my girls

S/C/G: 350/315/145-

Height: 5'3

My gym doesn't have one of those

I am so sad!! I really want to try it now...they have them on the biggest loser and I was like cool that thing is so neat!!! Bummer for me...
helenandaudreysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenandaudreysmama View Post
My gym doesn't have one of those

I am so sad!! I really want to try it now...they have them on the biggest loser and I was like cool that thing is so neat!!! Bummer for me...
Go to a Mall and go up the down escalator ... OK, I'm going to bed now...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #13  

I've just done manual at level 7, I might have to try a different program today!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #14  

Thats the one I was on. Same thing different brand names. I only did manual cause I was afraid of tripping. LOL

I've seen some people do an hour on them. They must have some awesome legs.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #15  
One life, live it well

I know - an hour on it would wipe me out! My personal trainer said that mountain climers and firemen/women really like them.

Anyways, I did 15 minutes today. I think the only reason I could do more was because I did it at the beginning on my cardio session, instead of after an hour on the elliptical. I'm going to keep doing it first to mix things up for awhile.