Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 09:31 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life #56

Welcome to Body for Life number #56

We welcome posts by people looking for information about BFL and those new to the BFL program! We are a friendly group...come join us!

Basic Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist (carbs) palm (protein) method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes. Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex Lite by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast [which is all sugar!]) or use Protein Powder and add carbs such as fruit. If you shop at www.netrition.com the page for each product will list carbs/proteins/fats/sugars. check the labels carefully! If you like to add carbs, go for a low carb but keep your protein/carb grams in mind. Some of the protein shakes have protein grams as high as 42 and this is usually too much for one BFL meal for any woman so split these in 2 and add carbs.

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Essential Oils: Recommended. Udos is the most recommended.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Results: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2002, 09:32 AM   #2  

Hi Everone!

Would someone like to be the official BFL thread started for the next three months? I'm not sure how much computer access I'm going to have outside of work and I'd hate to leave this group hanging. Anyone?

Thanks
Susan
Old 05-24-2002, 09:35 AM   #3  

Next question: how many sugar grams is too many in a day? I notice some MRPs have 3 grams of sugar (x3 =9) and some have 5,6,7 (15/18/21). I was wondering when it starts to add up to negative results. Anyone?
Old 05-24-2002, 11:49 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Susan - I'll start the new threads if you can't. PM me with the details. Once a week, on Friday, yes?

As far as sugar goes - my opinion is the less the better. Hopefully someone else will jump in on that.

AACK! On my way to work today - my old crappy car OVERHEATED. And I have the afternoon off, which I was planning to spend cleaning the house so I wouldn't have to do it this weekend and getting my afternoon cardio session in. I'm going to see if our neighbor upstairs (who is a car buff) can take a look at it. My guess is it needs a new radiator (it actually needs a LOT of stuff but it's just not worth the $$). Everyone tells me to get another car, but we still have quite a few payments left on the truck and I don't want ANOTHER car payment for us to deal with. AUUGGH.

Well, I'm not going to let that spoil MY day! Yesterday after work it was gorgeous out - no wind, just a light breeze - so I took my road bike out for a spin up to Sawyer Camp Trail. Getting up there means riding up Crystal Springs Road to Skyline Blvd, a rolling hilly route with a fairly long climb to the top. So I gotta say I was hitting a few 10's on the way There were deer everywhere grazing - it was picture perfect!

Let's hear how everyone else out there is doing!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:27 PM   #5  

Hi, I know I don't post frequently, but I thought I would check in because I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone else feel like they still need more exercise?

When I do my upper body or lower body in the morning, by evening I feel like I should be out taking a walk. And I feel guilty on my free day for not doing at least something. I know I am sculpting those muscles and I am getting my cardio in on the alternate days, but I do this in the morning, and like I said, by evening I feel like walking. Would this be wrong if I DID take a walk in the evening? Should I follow the plan for the cardio if I do it or should I just take a walk all at the same pace?

2. Does anyone else feel guilty eating on their free day?

I actually stayed on the program last Sunday, because I felt so proud of my success that week, that I hated to "contaminate" my body with just any old thing. But this Sunday is coming and I wonder, should I have whatever I want or just continue eating healthy until my body screams: PIZZZZZZZA Please!!!!

Also, I have been doing this for 9 days, and I haven't really noticed a huge difference on the scale. I know I am building muscle, but a little looser in the pants would be nice.

I'll admit, I don't do the supplement drinks. I am just eating low fat...my goal is less than 65 grams of fat a day, and I usually hit anywhere from 15-30 a day...and my caloric limit is 1950 calories a day based on my weight, and most days I am between 1200-1800, with a couple of days that were around 2000.

I know this will take time....but it just seems like this weight was put on SO fast, and comes off SO slow!!!

Thanks for listening!
Tiffany
265/I weigh tomorrow/150
Old 05-24-2002, 02:11 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi Tiffany!

Let me answer your questions one by one:

1) Just because BFL has the 20 minutes of interval cardio doesn't mean you can't - or shouldn't - do what I call "leisure cardio". By all means, if you feel like taking a walk, bike riding, rollerblading - whatever - just do it! I doubt if you're going to get to a level '9' or '10' doing leisure cardio. I myself take English riding lessons once a week, and now that the weather's getting nice around here Jim and I will be going on a lot more bike rides. Save the intense cardio for your 20 minutes three times a week

2) As far as feeling guilty about eating 'unclean foods' on Free day - ya gotta get over it! The whole IDEA of Free Day (IMO) is to keep you motivated and eating clean the other six days of the week. It's your DAY OFF. My first Free Days were total gorgefests, but I've mellowed out quite a bit since then. You'll find that, if you're eating your 6 clean meals a day the rest of the week, your tolerance for pizza and other 'bad' foods will go way down. I remember one week I was looking forward to pizza for Free Day...Jim and I ordered it...and I could only eat one small piece before feeling icky. Guess what Jim had for lunch the next day?

I've seen this happen too many times with people who DON'T take their free day - their nutrition goes totally haywire during the week, due to feeling deprived...and they end up binging. At least for your first Challenge, take the Free Day, although that doesn't mean you are required to stuff yourself. I would advise that you continue drinking lots of water though.

Now, the scale thing. My advice would be: STAY OFF THE SCALE!! Trust me...by continuing the habit of weighing yourself every week you are setting yourself up for discouragement and failure. Pam Brown (check out her progress pix at the thread on Diet Plans begun by her) said it so well:
Quote:
I NEVER LET THE SCALE SET MY MOOD FOR THE DAY OR WEEK!! In fact, I try to weigh myself as little as possible. Remember, you are building muscle! Not only do you build muscle but you increase the density of your bones, increase the fluid in your blood, and muscle weighs a lot more than fat! Try not to let it affect how you feel about yourself.
You don't need to do the supplements...I urge you to check out www.leanandstrong.com and their message board - many of us here at the BFL thread also hang out at L&S - an INCREDIBLY supportive and helpful community!

And I would urge you to NOT count calories. Stick to palm/fist, with the exception of foods like eggwhites and cottage cheese, then count grams of protein. At L&S, my buddy Tall Jen (TJ) has a menu thread that she starts every morning Monday-Friday. If you post your menu there, she will critique it and offer some great tips. Palm/Fist as a measurement tool works GREAT - just check the L&S Transformation Gallery...BFL WORKS!

Here's 10 tips that someone posted on L&S about a year ago - perhaps these will help you:
Quote:
1) Do this for yourself. If you can't keep promises to yourself, you can't keep them for anyone else.
2) Do at least 12 full weeks the BFL way. Learn from it, how your body responds, how it feels.
3) Don't bring anything else into the bubble you create when you work out. Focus on the task at hand, on your body.
4) Don't believe everything you read in fitness magazines. About supplements, pros' workout routines, etc.
5) Eat CLEAN. I can't stress this enough. Over time, I found that what I thought was clean was sorta murky. Shop the outsides of the grocery store. If it comes in a box or is prepackaged, pass (except oats, rice, etc.) Eat vegetables, fruit, lean meat (not prepackaged deli meat), seafood. Use spices, have fun when cooking. Bottom line, if you can grow it or kill it, eat it (sorry if that is offensive). Check Lean & Strong's Cooking Library for some great recipes!! -MrsJim
6) Don't overdo cardio. Do your 20 MAS. Cardio for fatburning is overrated. You'll get farther by increasing your muscle mass and eating clean. For more info on cardio, check the article here at this link: http://www.stumptuous.com/cardio.html
7) Have fun with it, this is for life! It's not a diet, or a short-term plan, it is for life. You are making a lifestyle change.
8) Enjoy your free day! Some free days, I eat like ****. Other free days, I eat clean food, just a lot of it. Either way, enjoy it, it's your day off!
9) Most importantly, don't judge your self-worth by what you see in the mirror. Yes, we're doing this to improve our physiques. But it is a long process, and not everyone can go from flab to fab in 12 weeks. You will improve, you will get better. Enjoy the process of improvement, focus on that.
10) Finally, to rip off the Nissan ad, Life is a Journey, Enjoy the Ride. Open your eyes to what is around you. Open your eyes to yourself and your potential.
You can catch me here or at www.leanandstrong.com for help and support! Take care!
Old 05-24-2002, 03:06 PM   #7  

Wow...what can I say besides...

THANK YOU!!!!

That was very inspirational!!
I feel better about the free day. I guess I was just afraid that if I ate what I really wanted on Sunday, that I would not want to start again on Monday with the healthy food. But that doesn't seem to be the case!

Thanks again! I really appreciate your kindness!
Tiffany
Old 05-26-2002, 11:12 AM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey Tiff, no problemo - anytime!!!!

Well! Been rather quiet here - guess that means everyone is having a good weekend...

Yesterday I had such a good riding lesson. Dee Dee decided that it was time for us to start....JUMPING...just doing the low jumps that is, coming towards the jump at a trot so it's not exactly Grand Prix or anything like that. Nevertheless, it was quite exciting for me! Can't wait til my next lesson...which won't be next Saturday as Jim and I are going to Las Vegas for my Dad's 70th birthday bash. I am all too aware that there are lots of 'food traps' in Vegas - buffets, etc. - so of course I'm taking along Myo Lites, protein powder, and my hand blender. The hotel (Luxor) has a gym but I couldn't tell on the website how good it is. I'll just have to PBE (play by ear). I'm not really a gambler but I'm looking forward to browsing around the shops.

Today we're going to the Jack Tone Ranch Open Barn celebration in Stockton, about a two hour drive from here. Jim and I haven't taken a road trip in eons! I had Meal #1 a little while ago, Meal #2 (a Myo Lite) I'll have right before we leave. I'm packing 2 meals in my little Igloo - just chicken breasts, sweet potato and veggies. In case of dire emergency, I'm adding a tuna pouch but really don't want to smell fishy during the day

Well...I'd better jump in the shower as we're leaving soon!
Old 05-26-2002, 11:47 AM   #9  

Mrs. Jim,

Have a good time on your road trip!!!! Sounds like fun!

Well, today will be my first FREE DAY, since I didn't take one on my first week!

I'm a little apprehensive, but I feel good. I am having a whole wheat bagel with some fat free cream cheese for breakfast and then me and my fiance are meeting my parents to help them transport a screen door, and to thank us, they are buying us pizza at my favorite place.

So, I think I will get salad bar and then have a few slices (well, they cut them in little squares) and see how I feel, then I can go from there.

Enjoy the wonderful weekend everyone!!!
Miss T
Old 05-27-2002, 09:44 AM   #10  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Hi ~ This is the post I originally posted and received some response from. They directed my over here and I am going to re-post it now. I do not know ANYTHING about BFL so if I am going to be a PAIN IN THE BUTT, please tell me. I just want to know if this is the way to go for me. Oh, adding one other question to this, is it a healthy way to go?

thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoe
Hello ~ I am a long time member of 3FC and unfortunately, have mostly just socialized under a few threads. I have read about some of our fellow 3FC using the BFL (Body For Life) 'challenge' and with great success. I have no idea what it is and if it would be, a) good for me and, b) something I'd even want to do.

so if there is anyone out there who is an expert or who knows something, anything about it, can you help me......or just direct me some where. I checked ou the BFL website but it wasn't really all that helpful to me (ok, so I'm a bit slow maybe.....)

My questions are:

1. can anyone do this program?
2. do you have to be "not too over-weight" to do it?
3. is it something with specific foods to eat or not to eat?
4. can a picky eater do it?

and last but not least, the ultimate question......

5. DOES IT WORK????

thanks to anyone who can help me.

Zoe ~ Soaking up the "SON" in Texas
P.S. I am going to be reading the posts here now so I will get somewhat of a handle on this.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Good Morning ALL!

We had such a great day yesterday...the weather was PERFECT in Stockton and the Arabian horses were beautiful! Jim took some snaps and is going to download them today after the camera recharges a bit.

Zoe - you're NOT being a pain, I can assure you. Let me try and answer your questions...

1. can anyone do this program?
The answer to that is definitely YES - anyone with the determination and motivation to commit themselves to 12 weeks of the BFL lifestyle can do this.

2. do you have to be "not too over-weight" to do it?
No way. I would like to direct you to www.leanandstrong.com and check out their Transformation Galleries there. In fact you don't even need to go that far - here in the "Diet Plans" forum there's a thread called "Hi All! Mrs. Jim was talking about you all..." begun by an extraordinary gal named Pam Brown. I've posted her transformation pix there...she went from 244 pounds to 144 pounds and a SIZE FOUR. And she is not, by any means, the only one...there are HUNDREDS of transformations on the L&S site!!

3. is it something with specific foods to eat or not to eat?
Read the book - there is an 'authorized food list' there. Basically you eat six small meals a day, which include a portion of lean protein and a portion of clean unprocessed carbs (such as potatoes, whole grains, oatmeal, yams [which are my favorite carb at the moment - so good!], etc.) At least two of your meals each day should include a veggie such as spinach, broccoli, salad, peppers, etc. etc. Since you are feeding your muscles, you need to eat every 2-3 hours. No snacks - just six small meals a day.

Also coming back to the Lean & Strong site - my buddy Tall Jen has a Daily Menu Thread during the work-week where folks can post their menus for critique by TJ. It's INCREDIBLY helpful in planning meals.

4. can a picky eater do it?
I'd say anyone with the determination and motivation can do this. BFL is an easy program (the book only takes a few hours to read) conceptually but it takes desire, motivation, planning, and determination. If you put your heart into it, you can do it!!!

Judging from what I've read, a lot of people who 'can't do this' make the following mistakes:

a) they don't PLAN ahead. Planning is a very important key to this.

b) they don't take their free day - read one of my posts above to see what Pam B says about free day. I've found that when I'm tempted to eat something 'unclean' during the week, I can tell myself "just a few more days and I can have it" and the craving stops.

c) they rely too much on the scale. On BFL, the scale LIES. TOTALLY. Muscle weighs more than fat - but it looks a heck of a lot better. My recommendation would be to weigh yourself at the beginning of the 12 weeks, then PUT THE SCALE AWAY for at least 4-6 weeks. Oh - also take baseline photos of front/back/side. Sometimes since you see yourself every day, you don't see the changes that your body is making until you compare progress photos. Trust me on that.

And your last question...DOES IT WORK?

Coincidentally, someone posted a query at L&S today asking that same question and got some great answers. Check it out here: http://216.97.116.55/cgi-bin/BBS/lea...=297440#297440

Take care and keep posting!
Old 05-27-2002, 02:18 PM   #12  

Wink Hot Point Fitness

Just finished my free week and then 3 days of really good workouts.

I think doing the free week may help me stay on program during the week, I am looking forward to free day.
Last 3 days of eating have been about 90% clean.

Hot Point Fitness is a book with workouts designed for you and an eating plan. Very similar to BFL so I have been following this thread for about 6 months.
Many thanks for the recipes. Today I had the SF jello with cottage cheese, PP and fruit. Yummy!

Looking forward to finishing the week clean and feeling leaner.

Have a good week.

Suz
Old 05-28-2002, 03:44 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Happy Tuesday!

In 2 days, Jim and I will be off to Vegas! Can't wait!!!

Hope everyone's holiday weekend was great...after our Sunday Road Trip, we just took it easy yesterday. Of course, I did go to the gym for my legs workout. This is too cool...there's this one gal that works out in the free weights but I've never had the nerve to speak to her. I just assumed that she was a fitness model or personal trainer because she is in such good shape and had such terrific form on her workouts.

Well, yesterday I was completing my final set of deadlifts at the squat rack and she came over to see how much longer I would be. After I finished I started pulling the plates off the bar and she came and helped me a bit. I just blurted out, "I've been watching you and I wish my legs were in as good shape as yours!" Then SHE told me that she'd been watching me too and was really impressed with my progress - and that I wasn't a "cardio queen" like most of the other gals at the gym. We didn't talk long but we did shake hands. She is in SUCH GREAT SHAPE, I was almost scared to say anything to her!

Other than that...well...gotta get back to work! Let's hear from you quiet folks out there!!!
Old 05-28-2002, 04:44 PM   #14  
Mel

Default Post-Holiday Workout

Hope everyone had a good week-end and is back at it ! I had a so-so time, mostly spent wondering when in the wee hours of the morning my daughter would come home each day, so I didn't get much sleep. Did a ho-hum home chest and tri workout yesterday; it felt good to get back to eating clean. I didn't pig out at the party Sunday, but even just looking at all the cake and pasta salad made me ill.

Today I had the best workout ever! Worked with Robert Super-trainer on legs and he made me do each leg separate today. Leg presses sure are tough with only 1 leg. I was amazed that I couldn't do 1/2 the weight 1 normally do. Then he made me step up and down off oa platform about as high as my knee with an olympic bar across my shoulders. I think that was the hardest thing I've ever done. I wish I could afford him more- but it keeps me busting my butt, knowing that I'll work with him again next week.

Sure has been quiet on this board--

Have a good time in vegas, Mrs.Jim. Stay away from the buffets!

Thunderheart- where are you?

Hi Hottie, Miss Tiffany and Zoe!

bye for now, mel
Old 05-29-2002, 07:17 PM   #15  

Default veggie?

I get the fist size with potatoes, onions, etc. But how to use measure for lettuce, rice, oatmeal? Also I didn't see in the book about the thickness of the protein. Any suggestions on that? Is there a place for recipes on the BFL plan? If it's on 3FC or mention in the book I didn't catch it. I need to workout at home any suggestions on equipment? I have a treadmill, 2#, 5# dumbells already. I'm in awful shape just had a baby 3 mths. ago. THanks for any help.
Closed Thread