Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Default Weight loss obsession/depression

I feel like I'm losing weight, and yet when I compared photos from when I started (2 weeks ago) and today there was no difference, in fact it looked like I gained! I know I should use a scale, but we don't have one and I'm a poor college student who is moving in three months so I don't really want to buy one! (Normally I'd take it with, but I'm moving countries). I am consumed with losing weight, I spend so much time on forums (yay 3FC!) and reading other people sucess stories that I have neglected to do my course readings this week. I have cut out the "bad" from my foods and added more veggies. I walk daily, but more relaxation then power walking. I don't own a treadmill or exercise equipment and the only gym near me is a German group class with a 100 euro a month price tag. I'm a bit depressed that I don't know where to begin, I feel like I'm doing the right things yet, I don't see results which is putting me off.

Does anyone have any exercise suggestions? (Note: There are no library's here. and no exercise equipment)

Or anything that will motivate me?
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Well I would suggest you start a good plan. Counting calories works well for the less uh.. fortunate (I'm with ya there, don't have a ton of money!). I think the key to losing weight is having some sort of plan. Exercise is also vital. Make it a point to walk at least a certain number of minutes or miles per day. Walking is great exercise! And you can do it anywhere in almost any weather.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #3  
This Time is for Real

S/C/G: 272/261.2/156

Height: 5'6.5

It might take more then 2 weeks to see results...Just remeber as long as you keep going with it, you will never fail. our bodies have to have time to adjust to a new lifestyle...Don't worry you will get to where you want, just keep at it.
Mixie Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Results take time to show. Took me over a year but it has stayed off for 3 years. Don't let weight loss "become your life", if you eat well it will come naturally. But it takes time. If it didn't, then everybody would be in perfect shape. People give up because they don't have patience.

If you don't have equipment, then you can do cardio in your room (maybe an exercise tape?) or run outside. You could also purchase some dumbbells at a cheap price and begin some strength training.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

If you're really intent on weighing yourself, does your college student health center? You might find and use a scale there for free.

You can do lots of things without any real gym equipment. Power walking, jogging, running for cardio. You can buy a cheap jump rope, and it won't take up too much space when you change locations. Turn on music and dance with all your energy (works better when no one else is watching haha). If you have hills or stairs, all the better! You can find lots of other ideas for cardio exercise routines on the internet. For resistance training, you can use your own body weight (push ups, triceps on the back of a chair, floorwork for abs) or heavy things you have around the house (like bicep curls using jugs of water or milk).
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

There are a lot of things going on here.

Two weeks is not necessarily enough time for us to see physical differences in how we look. I began and 331, and 10 lbs would not have made a difference in my face. At all.

Are there any public places that have a scale you could use? I especially suggest it for the beginning, because ... how else will we know if we're heading in the right direction? After all, you say you don't see results, but the scale would probably show them.

Wanting to lose weight, and spending time reading up on inspriation stories & "how-to's" is not really bad... but it shouldn't be done at the expense of your education. You know this. Set yourself a time limit if you need to. If you focus on your work you might even feel better.

It's good that you've been adding vegetables, and walking (no matter what pace). But do you know how many calories you're consuming? Are you keeping track of the food that you're eating? This is important.

If you want to get more exercise in, you could always buy a dvd, or turn on your radio and dance, or do some housework and cleaning. There are ways to get in a little extra, even if we can't go "full out" and exercise at the moment.

Keep the changes you've made going. You're doing better things for your health!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Thanks guys! I understand that I lack patience. I also might be trying to do to much. I live in Germany, but I am not fluent in German so it really limits what I can do! I also live in a small town and well there is nothing here for health. I think I am so obsessed right now because I go home in June, it's the first time I've been home in about a year and a half. I want to lose some weight before I arrive, and silly me I decided to wait until the last minute! I'm committed to losing 100 lbs, but I know it will take time. For me though it feels like I don't have time to wait. I am a perfectionist. To not see results right now makes me want to give up. Wouldn't it be so much better if it was easy to lose weight?! I know it would make my life easier! I want so badly to lose weight that I expect immediate results. I don't want to push myself to hard. My first time trying to lose weight I went overboard on the treadmill pushing myself so hard that I had shinsplints daily. I lost 20 lbs in two months, but I moved and gained it back. I don't want to wear myself down in the beginning and not be able to finish! Thank you guys for your input! It makes me feel much better to have support!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

If you are a perfectionist, use those "nerd" skills to your benefit. Start tracking your calories and cut all of the junk food out of your diet. Study diet and nutrition books at the library and this site, create of a list of what you can and can't eat. You might be eating some junk that you don't realize is junk, I was. When I first discovered this website I too spent hours and hours reading stories, got behind on my work as it was exciting to find a place with so much information. BUT if you really read the stories here you'll find there's no magic quick route to losing weight long term, it takes daily discipline and planning to get it off. If you are going to continue to walk, to lose weight, you'll have to rev it up, casual walking is fine for relaxation, but what you are after is getting your heart rate up for 25 minutes plus at a time. Are there hills in your village? Perhaps you could start off with a light relaxing walk for 5 min, then alternate between a really FAST walk and a MEDIUM paced walk every few minutes? Also head up those hills and increase your pace. You can create a weight training program without weights if you are just beginning, in a small space at your home - or even at parks - tricep dips, pushups, walking lunges, etc. I have a routine now for hotels and one for when I'm at the parks with my boy. I walk, sprint, and do some exercises while he's playing. It doesn't take a gym or fancy equipment to start out on this weight loss journey. (another idea, find a good exercise dvd) If you have two months and you watch your calories and exercise an hour a day, you should be able to lose 10-15 lbs, but one never knows. I found that I had to watch calories, rev up exercise and once it started coming off it was more per week but it took time to get the metabolism back up.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #9  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

Also since you don't have access to the gym try buying an exercise tape or being more active within your daily activites. Like set a certain time of day to do some type of activity in your room (i.e walking in place, push-ups, running in place). Its not about the place (i.e. gym) its about your committment toward your ultimate goal. Just be determined, you can still work up a sweat with getting in some type of exercise daily or every other day. You'll feel better. I agree with Peachcake, watch your calories, which really means cut back on eating and continue to eliminate "bad" foods. Stick to you plan, and little by little you'll start to feel more motivated. I know because I'm going through this now. I'm also a college student, and I use 3FC faithfully for encouragement so I understand the stresses of school. You can do it!! You have our support. Tonight I didn't have the enery to go to the gym, but I knew I needed to do some type of activity so I ran in place for 15 minutes lol. It may have seemed silly but I worked up a sweat and felt more energized afterward! Keep up the positive thoughts!
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Forget a scale, buy a measuring tape. Dirt cheap and easy to pack - even for a move to another country. Great to see results

As one perfectionist to another, learn to RELAX. No one NO ONE (not one person with a great success story on this site) is perfect EVERY SINGLE DAY. Letting go of the "oh well this day wasn't perfect, I'm a failure, I will start over tomorrow" and accepting myself was a huge key to MY success.

It's only been 2 weeks, think 1 year. Sure, who wouldn't like to be instantly slender? Reality check - it ain't going to happen. Accept and move on!

Last edited by Glory87; 03-08-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just want to warn you, that it took me a good 25-35 lbs lost til I noticed a difference, and even then, well, not so much. The heavier we are, the more pounds lost it takes for weight loss to "show".

But I knew, I mean I really, really knew, that IF I STUCK IT OUT, and STUCK with my program that eventaully it would show. I know it's hard to be patient, especially while not seeing results, but you must know that weight loss is most definitely not an immediate gratification type thing. But if you hang tough, and look at the big picture down the road, the rewards are ENORMOUS and WELL WORTH IT!!! Beyond belief.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #12  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I've lost close to 40 pounds, and there's been no change in my clothes or looks. Frustrating, I know, but I know in the end, it will be worth it all.

One change I've made this time- I stopped obsessing about the mirror and the scale. Instead, I try to improve my appearance in other ways, such as hot oil treatments for my hair, polish my nails- manicure/pedicures, trim my eyebrows, whiten my teeth, facials, etc.

I make sure I burn off as much or more calories than what I take in. That has helped me tremendously.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You've gotten some great advice! Commitment and patience are very important. And Glory's idea to measure yourself is cheap and easy!

But you do need to actually have a calorie deficit to lose. There are lots of sites you can enter the food you eat and see how much you're eating. That's often a good place to start.

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #14  

Two weeks isn't enough time to see a difference, not even in measurements. I had to lose about 60 pounds before I even noticed anything. Get a tape measure, it's cheap and portable. A scale isn't a good measure of success. Instead celebrate the permanent changes you make to you food plan. You can do this, it takes work and perserverence and some exercise! Keep posting, we're here to help!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #15  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

I hope you're sticking it out Megan! Take all of this GOOD advice I know I am!
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote