Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #1  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Default Confession time--- went WAY over calories... gotta fess up

So... yesterday after work I went to Wegman's to pick up some groceries and figured I would grab a freshly made sub for dinner. And what did I do? I ordered a FULL 14" sub. Why not the 7"? B/c you could get double the food for only $2 more. B/c I fooled myself into thinking that I would eat half and save the other 1/2 for tomorrow. Turkey, ham, and roast beef. With Mayo. And Cheese. And then I made the awful decision to buy TWO big chewy choc chip cookies.

Went home... AND ATE IT ALL. And it was DELICIOUS. But... but... BUT!!!!! I HAD GOOD INTENTIONS! I unwrapped the sub, put half on the plate, put the rest in the fridge. I tried not to rush through eating it... I really sat and enjoyed it (did I mention it was DELICIOUS???)

And then I realized that tomorrow was a Friday and I couldn't eat meat. And the sub would get gross by Saturday. So I ate the rest. Makes perfect sense, right?

And then I ate one cookie. Then I watched LOST... and ate the OTHER cookie.

And then I looked at the back of the cookie wrapper. And my eyes bugged out of my head. EACH COOKIE WAS 420 CALORIES!!!!!!!

oh ... my ... god.

What should I have done? Gotten the 7" sub. No mayo. Gone home and put my own light mayo on it. Not gotten ANY cookies.

And I would have had a substantial and filling and DELICIOUS, guilt-free meal that would have totally fit in my calorie allotment for the day.

But I didn't. ::sigh::

I typed it all into fitday and see that I more than made up for only eating 600 calories the day before (not on purpose... been having relationship woes and got distracted and didn't get dinner in). But 3300 calories is inexcusable.

However... this is honestly only the 2nd or 3rd major screw up since I started this journey Jan 1st. And I have been doing remarkably well and haven't had CRAVINGS or whined about what I COULDN'T have.

And truly? Honestly? This wasn't a binge. It shocks me that this was 3300 calories... I can't even begin to explain what a "bad day" was like before I started this journey. God... I certainly wouldn't have thought that eating a full sub was HORRIBLE for me. not back then. So I guess when you compare THIS bad with my FORMER "bad"... I guess this is a step in the right direction. I could have messed up WAY worse than I did.

But still... I'm disappointed that I could have made a truly SIMPLE and EASY decision... and made up excuses and KNEW that I wouldn't be able to handle the results.

ME? Turn away a whole portion and only eat half? It's NEVER been possible. Why did I think I would be able to so soon??? Argh.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Get back on track today.
Next time - don't go shopping before dinner! It's hard enough to keep food out of your cart when you have eaten.
I am always amazed at what ends up at home if I shop hungry.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #3  
Taking life by the horns

Oh, you would be SO PROUD of what came home with me. I made a list before shopping and I stuck to it. Bananas, apples, broccoli, romaine, onion, milk, eggs, and THAT WAS IT. I looked like the most super healthy person in the market.

Fast forward to where I'm jamming 2200 calories in my mouth in one meal... yeah... not quite as impressive anymore.

At least my grocery cart looked healthy, huh?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't beat yourself up just get right back on track and you will see results.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Everyone messes up - the good thing is you are figuring out what you could do differently/better next time. Like, ONLY getting half, putting on your own lite mayo and skipping the cookies entirely. Another good habit is to look at the calorie count of everything - I bet you wouldn't have bought even 1 cookie if you had known it was 420 calories.

One night won't derail you, get back on track today!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

We've all been there.

What I like is that you're definitely looking at this in the right way. As a learning experience. (Forgive me for the cheesiness) Seriously though, next time you go to get that sub, you might more clearly remember what happens when you order the whole thing. You'll be better prepared!

Just a little bump in the road, as you already know Keep on heading forward!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #7  
Taking life by the horns

That's the ridiculous part about the cookies--- I would NEVER have bought even ONE if I knew the count--- I read labels on EVERYTHING (seriously... I spend hours in the supermarket- it's pathetic)

but they were "homemade" and wrapped in plastic wrap. I didn't even REALIZE (or think to look) for a nutrition label--- you know how it is. Like going to a local bakery- they don't have the labels on the hand-wrapped stuff.

Ugh--- shoulda just flipped the frikken thing over and looked!!!

But you're right. It's a minor slip. If I can keep my calories today around 1400, I will average 1800 over the last three days, which isn't that bad for my weight right now.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #8  

Jen,

Sending hugs to you, and it's so funny you mention Wegmans cookies. I was in there on Wednesday, and almost bought one that they had by the register near the sandwiches. Luckily I did check the nutrition info first Their sandwiches are delicious...I'm proud of you for writing about it here and getting back on track.

Take care,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes that's what it takes to make us realize we can't do that. You are getting back on track and that's what you need.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think we've all screwed up before! But I like that you've already figured out what NOT to do! And I'm always amazed by what I was eating before! just astounding what not thinking about what you're eating will do!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #11  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Jen at least your mind is in the right place. You had a minor slip and learned from it! That's great. Looks like you have started new. We all do it. I eat footlong subs all the time. What I do is only have turkey, veggies and mustard on wheat bread. It's about 600 calories. I'd get much more out of the whole sandwich instead of a 6 inch with a cookie.

Also...pat yourself on the back for only having 3 "screw-ups" this year. When I started in November I cheated on a weekly basis for at least 6 weeks. I am better now. It just took time to completely adjust. You are doing great!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #12  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Kudos for back on track

Kudos, BrandNewJen, for getting right back on track. I, too, would have had a hard time walking away from a $2 sub-doubling bargain.

By-the-by: I have easy access here in Massachusetts to Whole Foods and Trader Jo's - both I consider wonderful. I've only been to Wegman's once (in New Jersey). And I think that Wegman's beat them both! It's one super store. I don't know how anyone could walk out of their hot foods section with only a sane amount of food. If the sub-doubler hadn't gotten you, there were certainly other pit falls that you avoided.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #13  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I have days like that, and it's really okay to be imperfect sometimes. You know how to handle yourself in the future; put it behind you and keep it movin'!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

OMG, I've so done that with the subs...lol. Well, all I can say is that it is great that you know what you should have done instead and next time I have faith that you will make the healthier choice. Just don't beat yourself up over a bad choice and move right on.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote