Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/165/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Scale addiction and fear

Hey everyone,

I have a scale addiction I can't seem to help but weigh myself every day. I know its bad because of water weight fluctuations, but I think its rooted in fear.

If you were to say to me, don't weigh for a month, I'd be terrified that my weight would creep up, even though my diet and exercise are the same. I guess the thought process is that by weighing myself each day, I can feel "in control". Even though its the scale that seems to be in control.

I would use a tape measure, but I have no idea what to expect from it, i.e. what should I expect to lose in inches etc.

Do you have any experience of the same thing, anything that has helped you let go of the fear of the unknown? I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Martie.

Last edited by Martie11; 03-07-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Martie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Hi Martie! Getting on those scales is definetly a double edge sword--get on them too much and you're disappointed that the numbers aren't moving as fast as you'd like--don't get on them enough and you're afraid of losing control and having those numbers creep UP instead of DOWN.

I think it's just good to keep in mind that if you are losing at a healthy pace those numbers are going to move slowly. Maybe you could ease your way into weighing yourself less, maybe start doing it every other day for awhile, then going to every few days. I know it's hard but figure if you're losing at a healthy pace you're going to be losing no more than a couple pounds a week--it's a lot of pressure to hop on everyday and not see some kind of loss so try to avoid that stress!

In regard to the tape measure ((Sigh)) everytime I start losing weight I always say to myself I'm going to buy one, take my measurements, and calculate those numbers....and I always forget!!! I've done them in the past usually like once a week and it seemed no matter what I'd always measure at least some small loss around at least one part of my body. Tell u what, let's both commit to getting tape measures becaue I need one too!!!! I think seeing THOSE numbers go down is more motivating than seeing the scale go down. Let's do it!!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I used to do the same thing. I switched addictions. I bought an omron body fat tester. I take my body fat everyday. That does not move as quickly but I'm not concentrating on that crazy scale anymore.

I know that doesn't help, but it something that is in your head. You have to change you.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't see anything wrong whatsoever with weighing yourself everyday. Sure there are going to be discrepancies. It's not the scale that fluctuates day to day, it's US. The scale is weighing ALL of us, not just the fat. It's the hair, the muscle, organs, and the WATER. Which we're more then 1/2 made up of. It's GOING to vary day to day.

Weighing every day is a reality check first thing in the morning. It's just one more way to make us AWARE of why we're doing what we're doing - trying to get and stay healthy. It's also the most accurate, though not perfect, and most convenient way of measuring our progress. If one were to wait a whole month, well then how do you know what you're doing is "working"?

For me, avoiding the scale for just about 15 years led to disaster. Sure I knew I was morbidly obese, but I can't help think that if I just had been into weighing everyday, and therefore SEEING and FACING the number that things may have been different. No hiding in the sand. Reality check.

So by all means, get on that scale daily, IF you can handle the fluctuations of the body. KNOW that it will go down sometimes and up others. But also know that if you stay on track, it WILL eventually go down and stay down. So maybe you want to go on every day, but only COUNT it, or log it one day a week.

We are all different and therefore all need to find what works for ourselves.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I went without a scale for years, and therefore I didn't realize how much weight I was gaining, even though my clothing sizes were telling me so. I think it's important for people with a history of weight problems to have a scale as a tool for reality checking.

That said, why not record your weight only once a week? Choose a day--make it the same day each week. Maybe Thursday morning--whatever. And record your weight in a chart or on a calendar or in your day planner. You'll see after three or four weeks whether you are really losing or not. It will free you from the madness of the daily fluctuations. You can still weigh every day--but it doesn't "count" until weigh-in day.

Weight Watchers has you weigh in once a week, and that seems to be enough for people who have formerly been scale addicts.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/350/170

i am a weigh-myself-every-morning type of girl! seeing the number every morning keeps me focused and on track for the day (most days). it makes me think about what i am going to do that day to make the number decrease. i only "officialy" weigh myself once a week though (that's the number i use to chart my progress, every wednesday morning). i realize that every day the number has the potential of being different, sometimes down, sometimes up, but as long as i am seeing it go down from wednesday to wednesday i know that my diet and exercise are working for my body. last night i stayed at my parents house b/c my husband had to stay out of town and i was disappointed that i couldn't weigh myself on my scale at home this morning (i only weigh on my scale in my bathroom).
jmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #7  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning!

I agree with those that still weigh every day. I think it's a good way to mentally keep you on track. However, that said, if it upsets you and you don't deal well with the fluctuations that are inevitable then perhaps once a week is better.

I think JayEll is bang on...I weigh every day but I only record on Saturday mornings and that is my Official WI. Over the weeks/months I see a consistent loss so I'm not upset when I get on one day and I'm up 1 or 1.5lbs...I know it will even out, especially if I've been OP and exercising. It just happens that that day for whatever reason...I'm up. But I know that it'll come back down.

I've even had days when I weighed and was at one weight and 30 minutes later (still before eating anything) I was 1.5lbs heavier. Now I'm not a physicist...but I'm pretty sure that's impossible. So it's just one of those things that you have to accept the number and use a weekly average to get an accurate number. Also, make sure you do it at the same time every day in the same state.

I weigh first thing in the morning, after I've used the bathroom and wearing my birthday suit. And I always do it exactly the same.

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

There is some middle ground between every day and a month! I weigh once a week - same time, condition and I like those consistent results. There is no problem with weighing everyday if you can handle/understand the fluctuations. If you are weighing everday, I would say to chart the weight everyday so you can see the downwards movement over time.

Get a measuring tape! They are really easy to find. I didn't start measuring until nearly a month into the process and I am bummed that I don't have my accurate baseline numbers! It is really satisfying to look at how many inches I have lost (centimeters are a good way to measure too, smaller than inches so you see results faster). I lost 10 inches off my waist, 5 inches off my ribcage, 6 inches off each upper thigh, 2 inches off each arm - it's pretty amazing!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I am a weigh every day-er. I only record on Thursdays. If I don't weigh myself in the morning I get freaked that I will go off plan. So I also (like lots of others) do it as a reality check.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

LOL Martie. I was just wondering the same thing about myself this morning as I got on the scale after my shower when I had already weighed before I got in Don't know if I thought using a loofa was strenuous enough exercise to cause a noticable weight loss in 1/2 an hour or if I really thought I was carrying around a pound of dirt or what. I haven't quite mastered the tape measure yet because I have a tendency to keep moving the location of my waist, hips, and thighs to correspond to the biggest part so I've sort of compromised with myself - I'm allowed to get on the scale whenever I want but the weight is not "official" until Friday mornings. I kind of like getting in the habit of weighing every day because I can get an idea of what a "normal" cycle is for me as far as fluctuations. I plan to use that info as a tool when I get to maintenance - if I know that a 1.5 or 2 pound fluctuation is normal for me I won't have to panic until I see 3 on the scale.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I also weigh in everyday and plan to for the rest of my life. I think if it keeps you on track and doens't drive you too crazy then go for it!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/165/150

Thanks for all the great replies everyone Some really excellent advice!

Vealcalf2000, Re: the tape measure- you're on, let's do it!

JayEll & RockinRobin: You're exactly right about the only logging it once a week, but weighing in "unofficially".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleef
I've even had days when I weighed and was at one weight and 30 minutes later (still before eating anything) I was 1.5lbs heavier. Now I'm not a physicist...but I'm pretty sure that's impossible
LOL tleef, the exact same thing happened to me, and I thought, "Wha?? The scale is trying to tell me to stop weighing myself twice in 1 hour."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Get a measuring tape! They are really easy to find. I didn't start measuring until nearly a month into the process and I am bummed that I don't have my accurate baseline numbers! It is really satisfying to look at how many inches I have lost (centimeters are a good way to measure too, smaller than inches so you see results faster). I lost 10 inches off my waist, 5 inches off my ribcage, 6 inches off each upper thigh, 2 inches off each arm - it's pretty amazing!
Wow! That's awesome, congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas
LOL Martie. I was just wondering the same thing about myself this morning as I got on the scale after my shower when I had already weighed before I got in Don't know if I thought using a loofa was strenuous enough exercise to cause a noticable weight loss in 1/2 an hour or if I really thought I was carrying around a pound of dirt or what.
LOL!
Martie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #13  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 235/194/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Weighing every day is a reality check first thing in the morning. It's just one more way to make us AWARE of why we're doing what we're doing - trying to get and stay healthy. It's also the most accurate, though not perfect, and most convenient way of measuring our progress. If one were to wait a whole month, well then how do you know what you're doing is "working"?

For me, avoiding the scale for just about 15 years led to disaster.
Hi there...i have to agree with Rockinrobin, only because it is my daily dose of reality...it keeps me motivated...and focused and aware of the choices I make or made throughout the day...I stopped weighing when I went on vacation for 1 month..and it was disasterous...and very difficult for me to get back on...I was scared to look..when I finally decided to weigh myself..that was two days before I decided...i have to get back on track...thus far...the scale has been my friend...and supporter...so if it works for you...and not against you...than do what you have to do... I think, anyway!

Last edited by JayEll; 03-07-2008 at 04:03 PM.
mamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #14  
Bikini Season :)

i weigh everyday - sometimes several times a day. a big thing of mine is - i gained a lot of weight when i stopped looking. i wont stop looking now.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #15  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am in the same group as most of the posters here. I weigh every morning, and record that weight in my diary, but I also have a WEEKLY chart where I record the "formal" weight for that week. I find both of these are really helpful. The daily weigh-ins have helped me immensely to learn about my body. It took me a lot of time worrying and being frustrated before I worked out that I needed to LEARN from the scale experiences. So I started to really study what my weight was in comparison to my eating, activities and hormonal levels throughout the month. From this I worked out that my body does NOT like salt, working out with weights makes me gain weight (so just live with it, as muscle is GOOD) and twice a month (ovulation and TOM) I gain weight. Actually, I never realised before that I gain MORE weight when I ovulate than when TOM visits. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about my body and how my weight changes due to many different aspects of my life. I wouldn't have known this if I only weighed in weekly or monthly.

That said... I also now like to see the weekly weights, as I can see whether there is a general increase or decrease in my weight. For a while there I was telling myself that the general increases were due to hormonal fluctuations. Well, after a few too many higher readings on the weekly chart, I realised that I could no longer blame hormones and had to look at other things in my life. I worked out that I had been adding a little more (all be it healthy) food into parts of my day, so I just stopped that and am now heading downwards again.

So, I enjoy BOTH types of recording. It truly is a personal thing.

Take care,

Zelma

Last edited by ZedAus; 03-08-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Grammar oops.
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote