Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #1  

Default help me help myself

I really don't want to whine, but I'm totally in a rut.

I gained quite a bit of weight while being pregnant (and then miscarrying) and then being pregnant again (this time a successful pregnancy). I use to exercise a ton and eat healthy, etc.

Now, I'm having a terribly difficult time fitting any exercise in. I know that it's possible. I can't be the only person that works full-time and has a family.

My son is 7 months old, and I need more sleep than him. I feel like I'm a zombie at work, so exercising after he goes to sleep isn't an option. My husband does not help (he's sitting in front of the TV all night, so I can't even do a video). Soon it will be warm enough to walk during my lunch break, so that will help.

I'm 5'8", and 208 pounds. I was 158 prior to all of this. Do you have any recommendations for fitting in exercise?

Thank you.
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Why doesn't your husband help? He can't watch your baby for 30 minutes to an hour?

I don't have kids but is it possible to keep your baby occupied in a play pen or something? How about taking him for a walk? I walk my dog every day which is one way I fit in exercise.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #3  

Once the weather is nicer, we will go outside for a walk, but until then it's far too cold for him to be outside (I'm in Iowa).

You'd think my husband would help, wouldn't you? He's not opposed to me exercising or helping out our son, but the only place that we have that large enough for me to exercise is our living room...where the TV is.

By the way, you have quite the success story...congratulations on your weight loss!!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Congratulations on your new family member! I remember the zombie years well (even though my son is now almost 20...) It is very hard to reorganize your life after such a drastic change. Sometimes overwhelming. And takes time to adjust.

It sounds like everyone is getting what they need except you. Maybe your husband needs a direct request for use of the TV and living room (it seems fair to share) because maybe he is willing to help but hasn't realized that this is a concrete way to help?

You might also check in some books for workouts - I know I have some that list out a sequence of exercises and weights that don't take up much room (the ones I have are for the 50ish year old, since that's me, but there are titles for new moms, younger people, etc., I've seen them in the library). I do these on about a 6 x 8 rug in our spare bedroom. I've also done pushups against the kitchen counter, jumping jacks in the garage, etc. So maybe something like this would help?

I have also done yoga this way. I mean, with a book and in a small space.

If there is a Y or some other similar kind of place near you, maybe you could try for a class one night a week? (Or maybe in the early AM? Or on a weekend?) Sometimes having a stated time to attend gets you moving when you otherwise feel you can't.

Good luck!
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Honey, I think you need to have a serious talk with your DH. What you said makes me wonder if he helps with any of the household chores at all. He will have to pitch in, after all, he was very actively involved when you were making the baby. And the longer you tolerate his behaviour, the harder it will be to change it.
Are you planning to have any more kids? How will you manage then, with a baby and a toddler? You sound like you are exhausted and need some "me" time.
Hugs
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #6  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

oh my goodness tomato you took the words right out of my mouth!

iowasteph -- I'm sure DH wanted that beautiful blessing too --

i hope that you will have a heart to heart with your DH -- in this day and age, there's no reason to "miss" your favorite show -- there are many ways to record shows (as a compromise). Ask for his cooperation/participation -- after all, if Mommy's happy - everybody's happy!

best,
b

Last edited by bruniQ; 03-06-2008 at 09:40 PM.
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote