Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 07:12 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs down 21 Day Challenge #5

Originally posted by katrinabgood Thanks, Katrina!

I missed my weigh in today...not too upset about that, because I seem to have fallen into the same slump a lot of us around here have found...having said that, I can't believe that I just blithely threw away almost a whole week of good, on program work for a day or two of haphazard eating!

We need a collective kick in the pants to re-energize us and get us back into high gear...Here's what I was thinkin'...

When I belonged to ediets, there was a message board called the "21 day challenge" the idea being that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. You commit to eating within your program, drinking the water and exercising for 21 days. If you slip, you begin again on Day 1. It really was very motivational and really a lot of fun...anyone interested in a challenge? Let me see if I can dig up the rules...

Rules for the 21-Day Challenge

Block 1
1. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.
2. You must eat from your meal plan or stay in your calorie range for every day!
3. If you go over your calorie allotment, (OR cheat!) you must start over.
4. No exercise is required until your second 21-Day Challenge (block#2), but by all means, if you're already exercising please continue!
5. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.
6. Nothing is wrong with having a yummy snack!! Just make sure you plan for it!! It has to be part of your calorie limit for the day!
7. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!
8. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.
9. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

Block 2
Same as block 1 + 20 minutes of exercise 5x/week

Block 3
Same as Block 1
+ increase to 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week
+ toning exercise for at least 15 minutes 3x/week
+ must post inches lost

Block 4
ON YOUR OWN... no rules except for the ones you set for yourself... it's time to turn this plan into your plan... you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal.
Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

What do you think? I'm just trying to shake things up a bit around here...

I'm up for the challenge, ARE YOU?

Last edited by Arabella; 05-22-2002 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:34 AM   #2  

Angry Day 2

The other thread was getting a little long. I found myself thinking - "4 threads and I've only lost 4 pounds." But then I thought that this has been a difficult time and I bet if I hadn't been doing the challenge I would have gained in that time, and probably a lot more than four pounds, too. I think I'm making progress...Yesterday was 100% perfectly OP. I only ate at the table, ate extremely healthily, drank gallons of water and walked, did tai chi, and went to the gym.

I also found the Web site I mentioned yesterday about sugar sensitivity -- it's www.radiantrecovery.com and is based on the Potatoes, Not Prozac book. Just like what you were saying yesterday, Beanie, it talks about the sugar intake/depression cycle. They suggest that you eat a potato before bed every night, which is supposed to get your serotonin levels set up nicely for the next day. I ate a small potato last night - can't vouch for the effects just yet. I feel a bit under the weather today, but not too bad. Although they talked about withdrawal symptoms from quitting sugar...hmmm... I have eaten sugar every day for about the last five or so...

Anyway, i think I'll give it a shot. The sugar/depression connection sounds pretty convincing. As a rule I don't eat much sugar, but I do sometimes get into these periods where I eat way more of it than i should. Also, the symptoms of sugar sensitivity rang some bells (problems with impulse control?
HELLO??!!).

Let's make it a good one!

xo
babette
2/211 (-4)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 05-22-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:26 PM   #3  

Exclamation Potatoes??????

No kidding? I would have thought that would leave one in a blood sugar tailspin! GO figure.

I'll tell you what my dietician said (I have intermittant problems with hypoglycemia): Your grandmother was right. A glass of warm milk before bedtime. Skim milk is your best friend. The Lactose satisfies that seratonin need, the protein keeps your blood sugar in good shape overnight and the volume gets rid of that pesky hollow spot we have this urge to fill up before bedtime.

Do I always follow this? No. But I feel better when I do.

And Babette, those four pounds are gone for good, darlin! It may be slow, but you're losing!!!!!!!

Feel good, ladies!

Beanie
Old 05-23-2002, 07:12 AM   #4  

Angry Day 3

Hmmm...Yup, potatoes. The verdict is still out on whether I think they work or not. The site was pretty convincing in its explanation of why they do. I already try to follow most of the rules they promote anyway, and I'm already convinced that sugar is ....hmmm... I always forget which is which: is sugar "white death" and salt "the slow painful killer" or vice versa? Not giving up salt any time soon! The potato does seem to make me feel pleasantly sleepy a while after I have it, which is a good thing, anyway. I plan to give this an honest try before I decide whether or not it works for me.

I've got my sister coming over for lunch today, my mom coming over for dinner tonight, and some friends tomorrow evening. And I am NOT making (or buying!) dessert. Cruel? Maybe -- I almost feel like I should pre-warn them, but they'll survive...

Beanie, thanks for the kind words - they really help a lot! I also know that some of the slow weight loss is due to the gym. My clothes fit the same as when I'm about 5 pounds lighter usually. Any more thought on the cross-trainer purchase? If there was one of those comparable to the gym's machines, I would LOVE to have one in my house! Add a few minutes of that to a day's exercise and the weight would soon fall off! I've been thinking of incorporating a stop at the gym to get on the elliptical cross trainer for 15 minutes into my a.m. walk.

Let's make this a great day!
xo
babette
3/211 (-4)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 05-23-2002 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:54 PM   #5  

Angry Just moving you over to the new thread, Peggy...

Originally posted by sweet tooth
Well, it has been a while since I posted (almost a week), but the time that I took off was spent wisely. I think another small weight gain for me last week, made me sit down and reflect on all this weight loss stuff.

This past weekend was a long weekend in Canada, so I spent the weekend reflecting and making some key decisions about my weight. I am definitely having trouble losing the last 10 pounds and wonder if I really am in a frame of mind to lose it. When I started this journey, I wanted to be about a size 6. Consequently, I guessed that, for me, a size 6 would be about 120 pounds. I went to Walmart a couple of weeks ago because I needed a pair of cheap jeans really quick. Sooo I settled on a pair of size 6 jeans, simply because they didn't have anything smaller. When I really thought about the whole issue, I realized that I have accomplished the size goal that I was striving for - it just doesn't match the weight goal that I set for myself. The final decision that I have made is that I am going to be happy at around the 130 mark (size 6), let my body adjust to this weight and then decide in a few months whether I want to lose the extra 10 pounds. The thing I need to do now is to stay on a maintenance program and make sure that I don't gain. Consequently, I started with Day 1 last Monday, on a less rigid program, but one that will still allow me to maintain the weight that I am presently carrying.

The long and short, is that today is Day 4. Unfortunately, the stress, plus the work load that I am carrying, have been so high this week that I haven't had time to eat even the minimum required on my weight loss plan. My official WI is tomorrow, so I am expecting a bit of a loss. Starting Saturday, I will need to manage the maintenance plan very rigidly.

Hope everyone else is having a good week. How is the weight loss coming?

Tomorrow is the start of your holiday weekend. For those who are driving out of town, drive carefully and have a happy and safe holiday. Take care.

Cheers,

Peggy
Canada

Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember.... Amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

186/129.5/120

Last edited by Arabella; 05-23-2002 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:46 AM   #6  

Thumbs down Day 4

Got another perfect day down yesterday -- actually, I could have exercised more, but I got some exercise anyway, and food was OP.

Peggy, I think that you're wise to rethink your goals. After all, when we set them, they are a little arbitrary -- we don't know what it will be like to be at that weight. And even if you decide to lose the last pounds, it might be easier and healthier to let your body adjust to where it is first. In any case, you have done FABULOUSLY! Kudos to you!!!!

I really need to get to work if i'm going to continue to pay the bills around here. Sigh. My SIL just asked her boss to lay her off -- she almost always manages to have the summers off. Wouldn't that be nice Ah, well, off to the virtual salt mine...

Let's make this a good one!

xo
babette
4/211 (-4)/1
Old 05-25-2002, 06:22 AM   #7  

Talking Day 5!

Well, i think it's been a little while since i made it this far. I really fought the good fight yesterday -- and won! I took my grandson for a long walk (never realized that it pushing a stroller actually makes it more exercise...) to my mom's place, and got her out to walk up to her corner with us and back. But first I had to fend off her apple and cranberry pie and ice cream . Which i did, although it really sounded good. And then after I got home again, I was on the verge of getting myself something sweet to have for dessert, but resisted. And then I fought off the urge to allow myself to curl up on the couch with a book or movie and have dinner there. I reminded myself of how much trouble that gets me into and resisted. Hope today is easier!

I'm into my end-of-month workathon, here. Ick. But I'll get through it and then life will begin again.

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!

xo
babette
5/211(-4)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 05-25-2002 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:10 PM   #8  

Angry Day 6!

Well, it really has been a while since I got this far. I've been trying to do new things, so I've almost forgotten my criteria for the block. To recap: I can only eat seated at the table (and no reading) when I'm alone. No eating when I'm not hungry. Simple, and yet - sometimes so difficult

Since I've been trying to cut out sugar and processed carbs, I sometimes think of that as part of the challenge, but it really isn't (although I think it helps, for sure). Anyway, I fought the sugar urge all weekend and won. I think that the healthier we eat, the less we crave those things. So that's my focus.

Tomorrow will make an entire week. I'm fairly certain I'm going to make it through today, too, so look for the WOO-HOO in the morning

xo
babette
6/211 (-4)/1
Old 05-27-2002, 06:28 AM   #9  

Angry 1/3 of the way around the block...

Well, that feels pretty good. Made it a week! Into the end-of-the month workathon, so I'm going to have to be very careful -- which I will!

Let's make it a good one!
xo
babette
7/211 (-4)/1
Old 05-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #10  
deleted2

Hi Babette and all! Can I join the group? I always do better when I have a string of "good"days behind me. Lately I haven't been able to pull it together but I feel ready to give it a go again!

I know that I do best when I can get a good hit of fruit and/or vegetables at breakfast--kind of sets the tone for the day. About a month ago I counted calories and want to go back to it because then I had the startling revelation that the reason I wasn't dropping weight wasn't because of a slugglish thyroid or whatever, I simply ate too darn much! And I felt incredible eating all those low calorie veggies!

I know what's best for me--why don't I stick with it? My eternal question....But hope springs eternal! I've just had my 39th birthday--my goal is fit and fabulous by 40!

Old 05-28-2002, 06:22 AM   #11  

Talking Day 8! Day 8! Day 8!

I'm so happy to have made it this far! Food has been good, as has water and etc. I'm exercising 15 minutes here and there because of work, but it's better than nothing.

Eydie! We'd love to have you with us here! I agree 100% on the fruits and veggies. Whenever I make a concentrated effort to eat a lot of them (say at least 7 servings a day) I feel GREAT! Clear headed and energetic. Even though I tend to be drawn towards the carbs, I know the fruits and veggies make me feel more the way i want to feel. Thanks for the reminder. Did you ever look at the "eating by color" diet? It emphasizes the special components of strongly colored fruits and veg and what they do for us.

http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/h...07/detail.html

I'd better get to work. Let's make this a fabulous day!

xo
babette
8/211(-4)/1
Old 05-28-2002, 03:07 PM   #12  
deleted2

Wah!! My challenge is over before it's even begun. First thing this morning I had a run-in with a co-worker which made me go right for the sweets. My own fault, of course. I've got to find some other way to deal beside going straight to food for comfort. I know that I can do this. My father had brain surgery once and was in the hospital for weeks and I kept my diet absolutely clean then, and I was practically living at the hospital--so I know I have it in me--I just need to find my focus again.

I meant to ask you, Babette, out of idle curiousity, how did your sis and mom take their dessert-free meals?! Were they okay or did they miss having that closure at the end?

I have a lovely idea for our water intake---trust me on this. I have roses [unsprayed, of course!], lavendar and mint growing in the garden now. Put some lavendar [leaves and flowers], some mint sprigs, and some rose petals in a pitcher, fill with water and chill. It makes a wonderful refreshing drink! And it looks beautiful in a glass pitcher. Plain mint is great too. A no-brainer but feels very elegant!

Old 05-29-2002, 06:05 AM   #13  

Red face Day 9!

Good Morning!

I can hardly believe I've made it this far, but I have! Now I just want to kick it up a notch and start actually LOSING WEIGHT! What a concept! To this end, I am going to start counting points again today and drink even more water than the gallons i'm now sloshing back. I'll get in a walk this aft and practice tai chi throughout the day. I'm retaining water (rings tight, legs achy), so maybe that will give me the boost I need to drop a bit. I'm going to try "doing it by the numbers" -- I always found that, somewhat to my surprise, when I ate within my point range and exercised, I could count on losing weight. Radical, but maybe I'll give it a shot

Eydie, it's always so hard to get started and so much easier once you get a string of days behind you. That's the essence of the concept here, trying to change habitual behavior.

My mom and sister were both okay about not having dessert. I know that my mom would have loved to have homemade white rolls (she makes the absolute best) and then dessert after, but if there is a perfect example of the sugar-sensitive individual, she's it! She's about 100 pounds overweight, has never really exercised and at 78 finds it very difficult to walk a half a block. She thinks that this is because of her arthritis and doesn't realize how much easier it would be to get around if she lost weight. I don't want to follow in her footsteps!

Love the idea for water intake. I need to get a pretty glass pitcher and do that.

Time for me to get to work. Let's make this a great day!

xo
babette
9/211 (-4)/1
Old 05-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #14  
deleted2

Today was even worse with my co-worker. She's one of those people who have to hammer their point across, can't bear the thought of being wrong--I thought it was over yesterday and she started in again first thing this morning. Anyway, the short version is I ended up actually raising my voice to her and now I'm mortified! I just don't do things like that!
Good news is I feel like I've been beaten with a big stick and am too exhausted to binge. Just want to have a bit of a cry and then a nap!
Other than that, Things are fine!

Old 05-30-2002, 06:04 AM   #15  

Angry Day 10

V. happy to have gotten this far. I didn't end up counting my points all day -- one of those situations where you see you're going over and then stop counting. But if I was over it wasn't by very much. Today I make a new attempt to count and stay within my points. I don't want to go below 24 points, but stay between there and 30 most days, which is about 1200-1500 calories, depending on fat and fibre. I'm going to prepare some good no-low point snacks so that they're ready to grab.

Eydie, it may be a good thing that you raised your voice to your coworker. You sound like me -- I avoid confrontation at all costs. And so often the cost is to myself, and can be measured in pounds and ounces . I think one of the most crucial things I have to do to lose this weight is stand up for myself, esp. with DH. Of course, oftentimes when I do stand up for myself I find it disturbing, but I think I just have to learn to deal with it. Maybe you would have preferred to get your point across without raising your voice but it sounds as if nothing else was getting through! Hope you're feeling better about this today!

OK. Today I'm going to try to stay within 30 points -- to which end I'm going to PLAN my meals and snacks. I'm going to catch exercise here and there throughout the day because I have a "shipload" of work to get done today

Let's make this a good one!

xo
babette
10/211 (-4)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 05-30-2002 at 06:06 AM.
Closed Thread