Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

Default Looking for cocoa

I am wanting to get a few suggestions on a good, dark chocolate, low sugar/lower calorie hot cocoa. I haven't been able to find anything to fit that description yet and would love suggestions from others who've found something good for a late night treat every once in awhile. Thanks~
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #2  

Have you thought of making your own? It's quite easy

Buy a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder in the baking aisle. I usually get Hershey's. Add some splenda and a pinch of salt. add in skim milk and heat. Remove from heat and add some vanilla extract if you like.

You can also make a powdered dry mix up with dry non fat milk, cocoa powder and splenda. I usually use 1/3 of each in a batch and then add a couple of Tablespoons to a cup and add boiling water Can also add cinnamon too.

If you don't use splenda you can always use real sugar, stevia or some other swetener

Last edited by LindaT; 03-06-2008 at 02:13 PM.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Linda, that's how we always made cocoa when I was a kid - there were no packaged cocoa mixes back in the dark ages of the early 50's.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'd be lost without good cocoa powder to quell the chocolate- once in a while. I find that plain FF/NSA yogurt is absolutely a little bit of heaven with some cocoa and some Splenda (or your sweetener of choice) stirred into it.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

I was contemplating it Linda, but I wasn't sure on the quantities, so thanks so much for the recipe! I knew I should've bought that Hershey's powder today at the store, lol. Oh well I have a couple things to run out and do tomorrow so I'll have some tomorrow night for my treat!

Ooooo I might have to try that yogurt suggestion, it sounds divine! And if you get it almost frozen it would be like frozen chocolate yogurt or ice cream! MMMM!

Last edited by AndLy; 03-06-2008 at 04:32 PM.
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Unsweetened cocoa powder is also yummy added into oatmeal w/ your sweetener of choice!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote