Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Need and alternative for my sweet tooth

I am in love with chocolate and would marry it if I could. Anyway, I am in desperate need of help. What are some of the things you eat instead of chocolate?
HELP!!!!!!
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I like the 100cal packs of choc animal cookies (taste like choc teddy grahms). I also like the Quaker mini delights in the 90 calories packs the chocolate drizzle flavor. I eat popsicle brand "pudding pops" they are 90cals each and have choc, choc/van swirl and vanilla. I actually think the vanilla ones are best. Or the skinny cow ice cream in mint cones with the chocolate drizzled on top. But I guess these are all chocolate things... I don't cut them out, it's all moderation for me!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't know if cutting out chocolate all together is a good solution. Sometimes eating something other than what you really want can lead to going off plan or bingeing (at least it does for me).

I would try buying a good quality dark chocolate in the small squares. Like Scharfenberger and allowing yourself a set amount of calories of it per day, like 80 calories or so (which is one or 2 squares). You could have someone hold the chocolate for you if you find it too tempting to have around. Or, just buy it a couple squares at a time.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I relied on fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth when I first started. Personally, I really had to cut out sugar initially to get out from under the cravings that made me binge and feel out of control. I love fruit and this is an excellent time of year to be indulging - citrus is in season, and it's about to be berry time, then watermelon and cherries - and oh my, I am drooling.

Another super sweet fruit - dates. Don't get me wrong, they are high in calories, but they are really really delicious. Chopped dates in oatmeal are a big winner for me.

If you can handle a little chocolate, buying single serving squares of really nice chocolate is a good way to satisfy a fix (don't buy a big bar thinking you can just "break off a square" - that might backfire). I also like no sugar added cocoa, something sweet and chocolately for 50 calories.

I am also a huge chocolate lover and now that I am maintaining, I indulge occasionally - molten lava cake is my favorite thing, maybe EVER.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-06-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #5  

Height: 5'

I like to buy the fat free sugar free pudding. You can buy in individual cups or make it yourself with fat free milk and divide it into portion sizes. Or like someone mentioned earlier the skinny cow or weight watchers giant fudge bars. Or try sucking on a cream savers sugar free chocolate and caramel creme candy. That might be just what you need to get you through your craving
SassySar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

THIS is one item I CAN'T let go of Chocolate. I think it comes from my time spent in Europe, where you bring Chocolate or flowers to a home when visiting someone. It used to be harder to find the darker chocolate in America, now you can find it at Safeway and grocery stores, you want it to be at least 60% cocoa to be the GOOD FOR YOU KIND, and only a few squares, under 100 calories. Experts are now saying chocolate is good for you - I find that it both gives me energy and relaxes me. A snack that perhaps isn't the best (but it could be worse) that I can't give up is M&M's, but now I can find the almond ones when I'm traveling at a lot of the convenience stores. I'm TRYING to eat just a 1/2 of the packet, but it's HARD. Now look at French women, they eat Chocolate, enjoy wine, and cheese and they are skinny. If you are exercising especially, chocolate is something you can enjoy a few times a week! My opinion... but if you are in serious weight loss mode you might cut it out until you lose more first. Then add it in as an occassional treat.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #7  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Molten Lava Cake.... ::gurgle::

Ohh... hmm.. sorry about that...
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

I drink Peppermint Tea to kill the craving. I like Traditional Medicinals Organic Peppermint. It tastes like a peppermint stick without all the sugar.
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat chocolate almost every day. I buy dark chocolate and a little goes along way (50-100 calories).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I also eat dark chocolate and for some reason am not tempted to overdo it.

Low cal hot cocoa is a good way for me to go sometimes, thoguh.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

How about the new Starbucks Skinny mocha's, has anyone tried one? I haven't yet. Supposedly they are under 100 cal...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #12  

They are wonderful! I love them!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #13  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hmmm I'll have to check out these skinny mochas from SB's... I had their new honey latte yesterday (a tall, nonfat, no whip is around 200 cals) and it was a nice morning treat.

I really like those dreyer's 100 calorie ice cream cups. SmartOnes has some pretty good desserts as well... the chocolate chip cookie ice cream one makes me feel like I'm totally cheating.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

I am hooked on sugar free jello and fat free cool whip - 30 cals of yum! I also use the fat free hot chocolate -not great on its own but i use some lowfat milk instead of water. Its pretty good.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #15  

I love the honey latte too, you sure you got the calorie count right? When I look it up online, a tall non fat no whip is 160 calories. I ask for no honey drizzled on the top which I hope takes it down to 130 or so - within my limits. They are NUMMY.

Someone suggested putting key lime yogurt between 2 graham crackers and freezing it - I keep meaning to try it, sounds divine.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-06-2008 at 03:42 PM.