Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Ziploc zipnsteam bags

I'm sure you guys have heard of these, but just in case...I bought them the other day and they are awesome! It tells you on the bag exactly how long to cook each vegetable and they come out perfect and taste great!
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/175.5/160

Height: 5.5

I'm dying to try them, but I haven't been able to find them here yet!
LovemyPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #3  

They are wonderful, aren't they!?

Our grocery store has them located by the Saran wrap, sandwich bags, etc.
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

Yes, and if you go to ziploc.com, they have tons of great recipes!
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

There are a couple of threads around here about them. I did a product test for them. ITA that they work great! They warn you to stay away from the vent holes. They mean it!

The only problem I have with them is that they are not recycleable. They are such a new plastic that there hasn't been a way to recycle them invented yet.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #6  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

Height: 5'6"

I never thought that steaming veggies the old fashioned way was all that inconvenient. But I'm a cooking nerd.
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Question How are these better?

Need help.

I told DW about these this evening at dinner. She asked me how they were an improvement on her standard technique of putting stuff in a glass bowl with a plate as a lid. The plate is heavy enough to hold in the steam, but can lift (just like the valve in these bags) to let some steam out to prevent overpressure. And the plate is reusable. (The Ziplock website recommends NOT reusing these bags to prevent the spread of bacteria.)

How do I answer her? How are these better?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I love them too! I bought the medium and large sizes!
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Need help.

I told DW about these this evening at dinner. She asked me how they were an improvement on her standard technique of putting stuff in a glass bowl with a plate as a lid. The plate is heavy enough to hold in the steam, but can lift (just like the valve in these bags) to let some steam out to prevent overpressure. And the plate is reusable. (The Ziplock website recommends NOT reusing these bags to prevent the spread of bacteria.)

How do I answer her? How are these better?
They aren't better. The glass bowl/plate will work just as well to steam veggies in the microwave and since it is reusable, it is better for the environment. You can also buy reusable vented plastic discs to put over the glass bowl (or even just use a sheet of wax paper, which is at least recycable and, in some places, compostable). I hate to see manufacturers coming up with more and more disposable products like this. It exponentially increases the waste filling our landfills. Even if the bags were recycable (or better yet, compostable), it would still be better to use the glass bowl. It's better to reuse than recycle.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Default A greener option

I use Pampered Chef's small MicroCooker (http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=CW) and will be using the large one (http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=CW) I've been very happy with the small one. It's cheap, cooks well, drains well and keeps cool in the microwave. I do have one complaint. I like to add butter to most veggies I steam. With the microcooker, I drain the water, add the butter, then replace the lid to melt the butter. It works great, but the plastic of the steamer doesn't seem to want to let the butter part. It wants to stay greasy! So, I either add the butter to the veggies after they depart or know I'm going to have to use extra soap to clean it up. One nice thing is that the lids snap on, much like a pressure cooker lid does (put on crooked, then spin to snap in place). This is great for when you drain the water. Your veggies don't force the lid open. You can just turn it over in your sink, then attend to the rest of dinner while it drains for a moment.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thanks Barbara

Thanks Barbara (BlueToBlue), That's exactly how DW sees the whole picture.

Although she's very open to trying new things, she wrinkled her nose at even trying these. Made up her mind just from my description.

I even blanched at the website's suggestion that one brings in a piece of raw chicken to microwave at the office. YIKES! For me, raw chicken comes under stronger special handling than does my lunch bag carried to the office.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My method of steaming (also not recycleable) is to use a wet paper towel on top of whatever I'm steaming. It works perfectly.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #13  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I love the steamer bags, since I can now take things to work for lunch that I couldn't before. Now I can enjoy steamed veggies or corn-on-the-cob for lunch.

Since I work long hours, I have to pack both lunch and dinner to eat at work so this is a great way for me to have something other than salads or the usual brown-bag stuff.

I just pop the bag in the microwave, and about 2-3 minutes later I have some tasty stuff to look forward to.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #14  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

LessEveryDay, thanks for posting those pics. Do you have the option of either the long handle or the shorter dual handles? We have a small microwave and I don't think the long handle would fit. Plus, I'd actually prefer the other design. Which do you have?
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Microwaved corn on the cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
My method of steaming (also not recycleable) is to use a wet paper towel on top of whatever I'm steaming. It works perfectly.
nelie, that's the way I do my corn on the cob. Wrapped in a paper towel (damp or not) for 3 minutes. It's yummy. I do a bunch and eat them cold - no salt, no butter - just the corn taste. I can eat 2 ears a day with lunch for the whole season.

Since I've discovered this I've never gone back to steaming or boiling.