Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Default Conference Buffets Ugh!

I just feel like whining....

I'm at a 3 day conference this week, and they serve free breakfast, lunch, and snacks buffets all day long. It's just one constant munchfest, and I've already blown all of my calories for today and I haven't even had dinner!

Breakfast was bagels and cream cheese, cereal, and fruit.

Lunch was pizza calzones, caesar salad, rolls with butter, and minestrone soup.

Snacks consisted of chips and cookies (including some delicious frosted shortbread cookies... yum!!)

So of course I went nuts. I need to get back to my normal food-controlled environment!! At least in a few days it will be over.

End rant
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Tough situation. I know when I travel for business, I try to eat before I go and bring my own snacks...that way, I can have some of the offered fruit at breakfast and still look like I'm eating, but not be so hungry that I eat everything in sight.

Get right back on plan, right this second, and view it as a learning experience. Sorry you got removed from your environment and it threw you for a loop - next time in this situation, you'll hopefully be more aware and more able to resist the temptations.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I hate buffets! There is always a tendency to take just a little of this, a little of that, and next thing you know you've eaten way more than a normal plate of food. It's really hard travelling on business. I had to go to South Carolina for a week. We had to eat on site at the training center. All the tea had buckets of sugar. All the food was fried or rich as anything I've ever had. The first day I loved it, the second day not so much, by the third day I couldn't bear to look at it any more. We did go out one evening and I ordered a salad with house dressing. It came and it had BACON GREASE in the dressing. I couldn't wait to get back on the plane to CA cause if I'm this fat here, God forbid what would happen fulltime in SC!

Last edited by PaulaM; 03-05-2008 at 07:25 PM.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I feel for you. I always hated buffets. Just the thought of the food sitting out there for who knows how long really makes me nauseous.

Whenever I go on a business trip, I tend to take my own snacks. I also try to have as much control over my food as possible but I know its not always an option.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Ha - that was my experience LAST week. I had a 4 day work conference at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas. They served EVERY meal buffet style and there were mid morning and afternoon snacks (caramel popcorn! hot pretzels! Dove bars! UGH).

I did great with breakfast - stuck to oatmeal and fruit and stayed OUT of the snacks (I brought my own oranges and Nectar bars) but I would guess only about 50% of my lunch/dinner choices were "on plan." I was tempted by sun dried tomato and walnut risotto, eggplant parmesan, a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN! I managed to stay MOSTLY out of the desserts, but I did cave for the chocolate fountains.

I am so glad it is OVER and I am back home and back on plan. I have NEVER been able to handle buffets well - I want to taste little bites of everything. Which isn't a bad idea in theory, except it's like 20 bites of really high fat/high cal stuff!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote