South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default From couch potato to running 5K

OK, as you may or may not know I have joined curves which I do during the week. On the weekends I try to get the dog out for a walk, and found myself jogging a little. Well, I decided to start training for running a 5K. I did a google and found this ad to help. I thought I'd post for anyone else that might be interested in joining me. Perhaps we can start a runners club?

here's the link... http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hi Loriann-

I'm very interested in this and downloaded the podcast awhile back. I did start it but my knee almost immediately gave me trouble. I'm hoping the Dr. will give me the go ahead to stick with it. If she does I'd love to have a buddy or group of buddies!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Good luck Loriann and others on this venture.....

I would love to join you but my active days are behind me (in more ways than one).

I am so happy to hear you pursue your dream of doing this. Keep us posted as you work towards this.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #4  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi ladies!

I just wanted to pop in to invite you over to the exercise forum. A bunch of us just started C25k this week and there's a thread going so that we can share our progress. We'd love it if you'd like to join us over there, or even if you want to come over from time to time to share how your runners club is doing if you get one going on this forum! Not all of us are starting this week, some are already several weeks in, and some will start a little later. Its all good!

Good luck!

Amarie
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/260/175

Height: 5'7

Talking me... run??

Thanks for the link.
I am very interested in joining a running group/club.
I have never ran a single mile, but I have dreamed about it my whole life. I dont know why, but it seems like freedom to be able to run...

I want to prove to myself, once and for all, that I can do whatever I set my mind to. I think the benefit will be much more than the weight loss.
ElayneRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I have been thinking about this myself. Let me know if you are going to get something started.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Unfortunately, I'm not a runner, though I think it's amazing! Several friends of mine find great comfort, physically, psychologically, and emotionally, in running. They have amazing physiques, too! One of my sisters is dealing with her grief over my aunt's recent death from leukemia by running in a marathon to raise money for blood disorder research. She's already raised over $2,800!!!

I think it helps immensely to have friends along the way, whether they run with you in person or via an internet connection.

Messing up your knees is something no one wants to do (especially women, who are prone to knee issues to begin with), but have you talked with your doctor or PT about it, Cyndi? Some of my friends have used special braces or changed the surface they are using (tarmac/asphalt is softer than concrete, sand is even softer than that...) so they could continue running without harming themselves. If you really love running, look into alternatives. Doing exercise you love is so important! Even though I can't run, I use the elliptical at the gym and get the same kind of "high" without any pain.

I recommend our Exercise and Weight and Resistance Training forums to everyone here--they are phenomenal and full of amazing experts! As many of you know, Dr. A has already advertised a new version of SBD that is meant to help you lose more quickly. Guess what the secret is? Exercise!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-05-2008 at 09:53 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
have you talked with your doctor or PT about it, Cyndi?
I'm seeing my doctor Friday and plan to talk to her about this. I was seeing the PT for back issues so need a new referral for knee issues (don't you love our health insurance system?!). Problem is I've had surgery already on my other knee, this is my "good" knee now. The other one has almost no cartilage left and will need a replacement at some point. I suspect this one will be the same. It's some weird arthritis thing that I spent a lot of time trying to get diagnosed several years ago. Now I just listen to my body and do the best I can. That was way more detail than I meant to write! Bottom line is that running may not be for me but I still want to find some way to bump up my workout. Maintenance is looming and that's the part I've always messed up in the past.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #9  
Determined to lose!

I'd like to start the club starting this coming Saturday. Anyone that would like to join please sign up.

EVEN IF YOU CAN'T RUN, SIGN UP FOR WALKING HERE!!!!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote