South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Monday Madness

Good Morning all. Sorry to not have dropped in this weekend, busy. Late last night we received a phone call that no one likes to get. My son's "grandfather" passed away yesterday. Barb (His grandmother) lost her first husband about 15 yrs ago and married this guy. We all loved Lenny. Yes, even I. It's truly a sad day for everyone. My son is going to college today, knowing he can't miss that much, but will be telling his instructors of the death in the family. Barb will be calling with funeral arrangements. It's hard. I won't be going to the funeral because I don't want to cause friction in the family. See, Barb is convinced her son is an angel and I'm the evil one. And yes, she knows he used to beat me silly. I suppose thats what mothers do sometimes, put blinders on and convince themselves that their children are all angels. Anyway... my prayers are with them.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Loriann, so sorry to hear your son's grandfather passed away. I know that must be hard for him and also puts you in an awkward situation (been there when my ex's Dad passed).

Going to be a very busy week and a 1/2 for me with my Mother going back to NC next week and my sister, bil and my dd coming in...lots of cleaning, yardwork, cooking etc to do before they get here (plus 2 jobs on top of that) but looking forward to seeing everyone. Seems like this winter my home has turned into a B & B, but I love it. It's going to very quiet when they are all gone. Don't know if I really am looking forward to the quiet or not!

We had a nice day in Mississippi after we finally got there. Went to the cemetery, out to eat, then visited with a cousin for a while. The weather was perfect.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #3  
Determined to lose!

femme, thank you... You sound like a busy beaver! Enjoy the company.

I was just over in the PCOS forum, should of gone there a long time ago, chock full of information. There is an article that says, get this, carbs and refined sugars increase insulin, and those of us with PCOS already have increased insulin.... At least now I know why I gain all my weight in my stomach area!!!!!! I also now know the connection between High blood pressure and the eating habits... acne, chest pains...

folks, please, listen to your bodies!!!!! Get your check up and mammograms! (which I need to have one done, suppose to do it every year since my mother passed away from breast cancer)...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning,

Loriann, I'm sorry to hear about your son's grandfather. I hope he went peacefully. Thanks for the timely reminder, I need to schedule my yearly exam and mammo. In fact, I think I'll get that done today.

Cat, you sound busy but happy! It sounds like you had a real nice day yesterday.

I'm trying to get myself motivated to go to Curves this morning. It's hard to get back in the exercise mode after taking last week off, but my cold is gone and I don't have any excuses. Besides, after eating 2 helpings of rice pudding yesterday, I'd better get over there and work it off!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Monday Madness? Or Monday Motivation? I'm not sure yet but things may be clearer after my coffee. At least I know I can now drive my car - FREEDOM!

Loriann, sorry to hear of your bad news. It does make things awkward but I'm sure you will make the best decision. Would your son be able to go to the funeral on his own to smooth things over with his grandmother?

Cat, your B&B sounds like mine around Christmas this year. I am sure you will love your Mother's visit and miss her when she goes back to NC.

Cottage, here's lifting my mug to a peaceful Monday for you. One of these days I need to get back to the gym - at the moment I cannot imagine climbing the stairs to the second floor. I hope that rice pudding had raisins in it to make it really worth it.

Chickies, I need to get back to pure South Beach eating. Today's focus must be on veggies, fiber and water. TMI, I'm sure but I need a "celebration" as Weezle used to say. (Where is she these days?)

Yesterday I drove my car for the first time since January 23. What freedom to be able to go to the store for milk and then have lunch at the diner with the local lads! Today, weather permitting, I may take another slightly longer excursion. My aim is to be able to take myself to town on Wednesday for my check-up with the surgeon.

Hope your Monday has marvelous moments.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Chicks-

Another week and I have no idea what I'm doing. I left my briefcase with planner in my friend's car after the Brew Pub Friday night and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing this week. I love surprises!

Loriann - Sorry about your ex in law and about the awkward situation. We do a lot of things for our kids. The articles you read sound really useful! Good luck applying them - hope the tips are as helpful as they promise to be.

Cat - I don't know how you juggle it all! I've bookmarked your garden pictures - just to give me hope

Cottage - Glad you're feeling better. Good luck at Curves. I'm actually going to check out our local Curves. My PT says go for it and I would love to find something to add in during the day to free up a few evening a little. I have to admit rice pudding is one of the things I miss. Actually, pudding in general are on the list. There is a local dairy that makes amazing puddings - pumpkin, chocolate, rice, Indian. I think I'm gaining weight just thinking about them. Back to my yogurt!

Speaking of yogurt I want to share my great find with all the Greek yogurt eaters. When I couldn't find the large cartons of fat free someone suggested making my own by straining it through a coffee filter (made me laugh a little because back in my hippie vegetarian days we made yogurt cheese like that!). I've tried it with several brands now and it does work well, but I've found one brand that is exceptional. Don't know if you can get it in other parts of the country, but Butterworks Farm fat free plain makes the most amazing thick, rich greek style yogurt. It's like a really decadent whipped cream. If you can get your hands on some try it! Right now I'm eating some with strawberries I froze last fall and almond ezekiel cereal.

Well, off to start another week. I'm not going to mention tomorrow night's storm. Maybe it will go away.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Ruth - simul posting! Congratulations on the driving. Isn't it great to be independent again
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #8  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Good Morning chicks, thought I would pop in and say hello, before my awful monday starts, so the title is perfect for me. I have to prepare for a meeting tonight to deal with this horrible dance mother. Please someone tell me why I get involved in committees. So my day of cooking is put on the burner so to speak till tomorrow. The only good thing about today is it the start of our March break and so far I have no kiddies. Looks like I may only have 2 today. Yippee. Well I have to dash and check all my emails and start preparing for the god awful meeting tonight. We are getting the storm on wed, they are saying 30 cms..... GRRRR.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Good morning chicks. It's a good way to start the week, with DH taking over supervising the kids' breakfast and making lunches, and waking me with a cup of coffee!

Loriann, my condolences to your son on his grandfather's passing.
Cat, have a great week with your family.
cottage, mmm rice pudding, you naughty girl!
Ruth, I'll bet your outing did you a lot of good. I'm sure there's no keeping you down for long! I've been wondering about weezle too...
Cyndi, thanks for the tip. I love Greek yogurt. I've never seen that brand, but I'll have to google it and see if I can get it around here.
lc, I feel for you. I did the competition dance mama thing for 10 years, and dance moms are the craziest! They are usually much worse than the daughters!

Nothing exciting on the horizon here, but that's the way I like it. After my weekend I'm ready to get back into my routine. I need to plan my menu for the day, as I've gotten out of that habit lately. Have a good one chickies!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #10  

Lori - I'm so sorry to hear about your ex-inlaw. I kept in touch with my first husband's family for years. They were like parents to me when we married in college. The only time I've had to deal with abuse was this one and neither of us have any parent left and our sister live many states away from us. I feel sad sometimes that Brian doesn't know any relatives very well.

Cat - Are you supposed to get our bad weather tomorrow? We had a gorgeous Saturday but the rain started last night and it's been severe at times. The temp is dropping. It was about 80 on Saturday and tonight they are talking about a freeze and possible snow. What a change!

cottage - I REALLY need to get back to exercising. I've got stuff after work the next 3 nights and with 7AM meetings I can't make it work in the morning. I'll find time somehow.

Ruth - I'm so glad you are getting some freedom. I know you have friends who can help you but I know how much you value being able to do it yourself.

Cyndi - I'm glad you like surprises. I would be absolutely freaking if I lost my planner!

little chick - Enjoy Spring Break. Brian is out from the 14th - 21st but he'll be in a day care that does field trips during spring break.

Hi, schmoodle!

I've got to shut down the computer to get to work. I'll try to post more later.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Loriann - what a hard way to start a week. I imagine it's hard when you want to be there for your son but can't because of the friction.

femme - I would go crazy with that many people in my house. I'm a homebody and a bit of a loner, so I keep mostly to myself. My home is my oasis.. LOL!

Loriann - there are a whole host of problems associated from the inflammation cycle caused by overindulging in carbs. You would be amazed at the list of maladies that are aggravated by it!

Cottage - I need to exercise today, too. It's supposed to be in the 50's today (In Buffalo in March???) so I hope the rain holds off long enough I can take DD4 for a walk. It's VERY hilly here, so I get aerobic and weight training...

Ruth - one of the best ways for me to plan a celebration is to serve beets the night before (can you do beets in later phases?). Cauliflower is a good one, too.

Cyndi - I just recently heard of this Greek yogurt. What flavor does it have? Is it like cream cheese? I can remember making some kind of dessert by straining the yogurt in a coffee filter, but for the life of me can't now.

Well, I made it through my first day of PhaseI. It wasn't so bad, until I stayed up late reading and got HUNGRY. I had a small handful of almonds and that settled things. I was so proud of myself, I nearly did a dance! (At midnight.) I hope to walk today with DD4 - the weather is warm, but I have to hurry to beat the rain that is due. My scale read 2.5 less this morning. I know it's just that first loss that comes off easy, but I still like the number!!!

Someone was saying they're a visual person and had stickers for exercise. I made myself 5 thread bracelets with a few blue beads on it. Every time I lose a pound toward my 5lb mini-goal, I take one of them off. So today I only have 3 bracelets on. It's just helping me to focus when my motivation starts flagging. And they're simple to manage!

The PhaseI belgian waffles really MADE my morning, though! I had a little FF SF caramel sauce that I spread on... mmmmmmmmm I think I actually like these waffles better than the real ones. Very moist.

I'm so glad to have found this group. You are truly already helping my motivation. This is the first time in 3 years I haven't given up midway through the first day!

Krystal
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Lori - Sorry about your son's grandpa. I am glad that despite all the bad history, he was still able to have a good relationship. That's so important!

Cat - Be sure to count your cleaning and yard work as exercise hours! The effort can be doubly rewarding.

cottage - I know what you are saying about getting back into the mode. We just got a new treadmill after being without one for a couple weeks. I dragged myself on it last night, and that was all it took to be re-motivated. I can't wait to get home from work to go again!

Ruth - Congrats on your new freedom (driving)! That would give me a natural high after so much time.

Cyndi - I am another who would be freaking out if I lost my planner (but maybe more so because mine is electronic and part of my phone. HA!)

little chick - Think Spring!!!

Schmoodle - Way to get back in the swing with meal planning. I am doing the same thing. Maybe we should post them to be accountable!

Barb - I should also shut this down since I am AT work, but for some reason, I'd rather post than get anything done right now. Stick around and be bad with me.

Fluffy - Congrats on making it through day 1! It gets easier and easier.

For me, it feels so good to be back in the swing of things. I didn't gain any weight those 2 weeks I was messing around, but I am so proud of myself for not letting it go any further. I am going to Philadelphia for 4 days this weekend to visit a friend. That will provide entirely new challenges, but she will be helpful and I will do my best to stay on track.

Last edited by only1naked; 03-03-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #13  

I'm back from Curves where I did an extra hard workout, so now I'm feeling better about myself. I just made a big pot of steel-cut oatmeal and am waiting for that to be done so I can have my breakfast. That will take care of breakfasts for the next few days, too.
I don't have to be at Cindy's until later this afternoon, she and the girls went skiing with Cindy's father. So I think I'll spend my free morning putting the house back in order and paying some bills. Jake has plenty of leftovers for his supper tonight, so I don't have to worry about that.
The weather here is supposed to be mild and gorgeous most of the week, makes me want to get out and play in the dirt.

Ruth, I love raisins in my pudding but the rest of them don't, and since I was making it for them and not me, I left them out. That's great that you are able to drive again, just getting out of the house and being independent again can give you a whole new outlook on life. Just be very careful, don't take any chances with that snow and ice.

Cyndi, I'll have to look for that Butterworks Farms brand of yogurt and try making my own Greek yogurt. I don't recall seeing it around here, though. It does sound yummy, especially with strawberries!

LC, I hope that meeting with the "dance mother" isn't as bad as you dread. Don't you just hate it when the parents start interfering and try to run the show? It's like they are trying to relive their own childhood again through their children. Just let her know how it's going to be. Good luck!

Schmoodle, you sure do have a gem of a husband to help you out like that, and even bring you coffee in bed! Can I borrow him for a few days to teach Jake a few tricks?

Barb, your weather sounds like it's on a rollercoaster! I hope you can find some time to exercise, I feel so much better now that I got it done.

My breakfast is ready, so I'm going to eat and then start getting some things done around here. Have a wonderful Monday!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #14  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all!

Krystal, isn't this group grand? Such motivating and helpful folks! Glad to hear you're doing well!

Barbara, good luck getting everything in! You're always so on top of things, I have no doubt you'll finish.

Loriann, I'm sorry to hear of the loss in your family. I hope everything goes OK for your son.

Ruth, I'm so so so excited that you got to drive yesterday! Have fun with it!

LC, enjoy your quiet house today!

Linda, I actually made rice pudding with brown rice the other day. It was a nice treat, and easily adaptable to South Beach. I don't have issues with rice, though.

Schmoodle, I bet you missed that coffee in bed! I'm so jealous. Ten days left!!!

Cyndi, we used to strain plain yogurt for our kids when they were wee ones and then add in pureed fruit. They loved it! Now it's just easier to buy the Stonyfield Farms ones. Back when our first was born I couldn't find whole milk yogurt without a bunch of junky stuff in it, but now there's a whole host of organic yogurts out.

Cat, I was thinking the same thing about your house being a bed and breakfast! It sounds like you enjoy having the company, though.

Barbie, have fun in Philly! We'll wave at your from across the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge, OK?!

Oh dear. I just had to confiscate gum from Avery again. She even opened a brand new plastic-wrapped pack! That girl is trouble.

Off to get my day started! Laundry and good eating on the docket. And I hope to get in a workout on my sister's elliptical. Oh, and getting to the post office to get Connor's pinewood car weighed.

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 03-03-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #15  

Hi, Barbie, we were posting in tandem! Where in Philly are you going to be?
Closed Thread