South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

Default Atkins Bars??

I was wondering about meal replacement bars. I have tried Atkins diet in the past and I really loved the peanut butter bars. They were so convenient and satisfying. I have tried many of the SB bars and they don't fill me up or stay with me very long. Breakfast has become a problem for me. I really don't like eggs and cereal is a trigger for me (at least I think it is....I can't seem to limit myself to the very small portions) Yogurt is great, but I like to save my dairy for snacks and coffee. Any suggestions??
ADAGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #2  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I would check the sugar content, then if that is ok, try them. See how your body responds. See if they make you crave carbs or more food in general. If they satisfy you and work in your eating plan then I would say use what works for your body.
Last time we followed SBD, back in 2003, we found the SBD meal replacement bars filling and the taste was ok. They were about 200+ calories each. This go round, we have only been using the SBD cereal bars (100-140 calories each) as a snack or rarely as B-fast. They aren't as filling, but are quick. DH will eat a SBD cereal bar and a boiled egg.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

One of my favorite breakfasts when I am not having eggs is a great big turkey and spinich sandwich...piled high on Ezeikel bread or in a flatout wrap. I put as much spinich as it will hold..cramming it all in the bread!
Another suggestion is just heating up leftover dinner from the night before.
You can also pile leftover vegs on a sandwich. Bars and cereal make me hungry soon after if I have them in the morning. I have to have something filling with protein and vegs.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Have you tried the Nessa Bars? They're great as a grab-and-go breakfast with a hard-boiled egg!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

I would advise strong caution with meal replacements. they tend to trigger cravings. There was a study published not too long ago about artificially sweetened soda's being linked to weight gain. Its probably not the soda, when you taste sweet your body prepares for a sugar rush. If there is no sugar then your blood sugar levels will drop because of the insulin released in anticipation of the intake. When you have that drop you crave sugar and carbs to correct it. Whats more, I think that insulin rush is actually harmful in other ways. It may help deposit fat, not just in the body but in the blood vessels as well. But thats not a well established theory. I stear clear of that kind of stuff.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I understand the appeal of bars in the convenience and portability. The problem I have with them is that a big neon sign in my brain that says "COOKIE" starts flashing when I eat one.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #7  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

I've used those Atkins PB bars when I've been on the road & breakfast is a problem. The one I have is high protein/high fiber/low sugar & left me pretty satiated afterwards w/no hunger or sugar cravings like so many other bars do. Don't know how great they would be for an all the time breakfast but for once in a while, I think they're great.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #8  
pound by pound,day by day

S/C/G: 288/283/150

Height: 5'6

They definitely give me cravings. After I eat 1, I want 3 more! So I stay far away from meal replacement bars. I like to eat celery w/ peanut butter instead of eggs sometimes.
happyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

Thanks for the advice. I would only be eating them when I absolutely needed to.(like when running unexpectedly late) I always have to wonder why Atkins(which is a very low carb diet) would make theses bars if they were not ok. They do contain sugar alcohols so I am careful not to "over due it" for obvious reasons...
SB promotes the Kraft meal replacement bar (which do trigger craving for me). I guess I just don't see the difference.
ADAGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #10  
Doing ATKINS Diet

S/C/G: 262

Height: 5'3"

Default Protein Atkins Bars

There are so many flavors of Atkins bars. I also use the chocolate and peanut butter bar-the larger one, for breakfast. Then around 11AM i take a handful of raw almonds as a snack. Somehow for me it is not a trigger.

But I can't keep them in the house. I keep them at work. I am a chocoholic and will eat all of them at home.

Good luck

leelan
Leelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #11  
Doing ATKINS Diet

S/C/G: 262

Height: 5'3"

There are so many flavors of Atkins bars. I also use the chocolate and peanut butter bar-the larger one, for breakfast. Then around 11AM i take a handful of raw almonds as a snack. Somehow for me it is not a trigger.

But I can't keep them in the house. I keep them at work. I am a chocoholic and will eat all of them at home.

Good luck

leelan
Leelan is offline   Reply With Quote