Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #1  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Question New Sweetener?

DH just sent me this touting a new sweetener. Interesting stuff!

Last edited by CountingDown; 02-27-2008 at 10:03 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb I wonder what they will call it- Honey Wannabe?

Thanks, counting, I read the article and saved it. I have always loved natural sweetners and for years I went that route thinking it was better than all of the artificial stuff but as I have aged and my family history is catching up with me, artificial sweetners are now becoming less of a choice and more of a necessity.

I wonder what they will call this? Honey Wannabe. According to the article, it is supposed to mimic the properties of honey. I am not a huge fan of honey to begin with (too sticky) but I think I would try this at least.

Thanks for the update, I am sure this will spawn a discussion once it hits the markets...
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/219/145

Height: 5' 4"

Wow, this sounds interesting, especially for people not wanting to use artificial sweeteners. Thanks!
ChrystalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #4  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

It does sound interesting. "This amazing new product is produced by creating an enzymatic degradation of all the natural crops which is then processed and purified." I wonder if I really want to know what that means. Also wondering why this is being put out by an entertainment company with a hotmail address? Hmmm.

Thanks for the article though...I'll keep an eye out for it.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesully View Post
Also wondering why this is being put out by an entertainment company with a hotmail address? Hmmm.

Yeah, something about this doesn't sit quite right with me. This product has now been FDA approved and still doesn't even have a name? It's made from rice, wheat, potatoes, and corn, but has no carbs? It does not get digested? As far as I know, the only things that don't get digested are certain chemicals and fiber. Oh, and sugar alcohols--those also "pass through the body undigested," which is why they can cause *ahem* gastrointestinal distress.

I'd love to be wrong on this--I'd love to have a natural, no-calorie sweetener. I just certianly don't trust this blatantly marketing-geared article (which mentions the all-important "beautiful supermodel host" ).

Last edited by jillybean720; 03-01-2008 at 04:32 PM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #6  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'd love to be wrong on this--I'd love to have a natural, no-calorie sweetener. I just certianly don't trust this blatantly marketing-geared article (which mentions the all-important "beautiful supermodel host" ).
Stevia is a no-calorie natural sweetener. They have been using it in Japan for 25 years. There is even Coca Cola made with Stevia over there. Now if only they could get past the artificial sweetener and sugar industries here and do the same thing!
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlvrgirl View Post
Stevia is a no-calorie natural sweetener. They have been using it in Japan for 25 years. There is even Coca Cola made with Stevia over there. Now if only they could get past the artificial sweetener and sugar industries here and do the same thing!
Oh, I know. I have some Stevia. But it some things, it leaves a funky aftertaste for me, so I don't use it very often. There actually is a brand of soda that's starting to be released here in the U.S. that's made with Stevia--it's called Zevia (comes in cola, orange, and lemon-lime, if memory serves). You can buy it online or check zevia.com for availability in your area (seems to be all over the place on the west coast, but nowhere near me here in the east!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Erythritol is a good natural sweetener that has less calories and carbohydrates.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote