Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #1  
Shalu

S/C/G: 162/145/132

Height: 5.6"

Default Weight loss plateau

I am a new bee to this site. Its really great. First let me give a small introduction about me.I am 32 years old female who weighs 162 lbs which is overweight for my height..and i have almost tried all types of dieting for 6 months.I do workout in a gym 5 days a week and about an hour everyday..I have not reduced a single pound for the past 6 months..fed up..Is there anybody faced a situation like these..When i searched in net i read like this is a weight loss plateau..and it is difficult to come out of this

Kindly give me some suggestions how to keep motivated after 6 months of dieting and work out:-((
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you been counting your calories? How many calories are you eating? Sometimes plateaus are real, sometimes not so much.

What has been your eating plan for the last 6 months?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Shalu

Sounds like you're doing a good amount of exercising So, tell us exactly what food plan/plans you've been following? Unfortunately, exercise alone does not usually help us lose all the weight.

Best of success!

Last edited by Lovely; 02-27-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome to 3FC!!! This is a topnotch place for support, advice, encouragement and information. We would be more then happy to give you some suggestions. But first, we need some more info. Just what is it exactly that you have tried for the past 6 months? Get back to us ASAP and we'll be glad to try and help you out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

If you have a Fit Day set up, you can link it here.

If you don't, then post a days menu and what exercise you are doing. There is a wealth of info here and you'll get the advice you need.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i ditto the need for more info. Some things that are helping me...is keeping a good food journal. Also, going to the gym if you are doing the same exercises..you may need to take i t up a notch. I do interval taining 3 times a week..and it really helps. also becareful when you workout..sometimes you tend to eat too much. Give us an idea of your plan, the exercises you are doing and an idea of what you are eating
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #7  
Shalu

I feel so great to get your replies. It really motivates me a lot.
I give my daily menu below.
8.30 breakfast - ceral with fat free skim milk and coffee
11.00 - An apple
1.30 Lunch - Oatmeal
3.00 - some raw vegetables like carrot,cucumber
4.30 Dinner - Indian bread 3 numbers with some cooked vegetable curry
5.30 - coffee
9.00 - whole milk - a cup
I stick on to this menu during weekdays(Around 1500 cal)..everyday the same menu almost..In weekends I add fish and chicken breast for lunch..But i still make sure it does not cross 1800-2000 calories in the weekends..I have completely stopped eating chocolate, ice cream and all my favorite desserts( I do slip few days but come in track again).

I walk in the treadmill for 30 minutes and elliptical for another 30 minutes 5 times a week

My weight is struck in 162 pounds for the past 6 months..I really donno where i am going wrong..I am really overweight for my height of 172cm..Pls help me break this plateu

Thanks a lot for your valuable time

Regards,
shalu
Old 02-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

My dear shalu, there is way too little protein in what you are eating! Especially given that you are exercising actively.

You would probably do much better--and feel better also--if you added more protein foods and cut down on some of the carbohydrates. You could also have a little bit of olive oil now and then--we do need to have small amounts of good fats.

I am not a nutritionist, of course, so I am simply giving you ideas from my own experience. But, if I were you, I would add some protein to breakfast--say, a boiled egg (whole egg) or some cheese--and reduce the amount of cereal a little bit.

With your apple, you could have some lowfat string cheese. This is a type of mozarella cheese, if you haven't seen it before.

For lunch you could have a chicken or tuna salad with 1 small slice of bread and some lowfat dressing, instead of oatmeal.

For dinner, you could add some chicken to your vegetable curry. You could even make something like saag paneer as a side dish, as long as you were careful about not using too much cheese in it.

I think you can see what I'm getting at. Also, have you tried entering all your foods into a program like FitDay or The Daily Plate? (They are free online.) I think you might find you are eating fewer calories than you think.

Good luck! Don't give up, just make some adjustments.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

I second the idea of more protein.

I would also think that if you are going up to 1800-2000 calories on the weekend and not seeing a loss, you might want to try sticking with 1500 calories for a few weeks.

And, just how are you tracking your calories? Are you certain that you're sticking to 1500 during the week? You also mentioned that you slip up occassionally (don't we all?), but that may just be what's stalling your weight as well.

Maybe really, really, REALLY give it your all for 2 weeks. Track those calories, no slip ups, stick to the lower calorie range for the weekends. Add in some protein and veggies. Hopefully that will get the scale moving downward. Good luck!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #10  
Shalu

Thanks for the support..I will try to modify my diet by adding protein,veggies instead of carbs and get back to you guys in another 2 weeks..thanks again
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Oh my gosh! Don't stay away for two weeks! We'd like you here with us.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #12  
Shalu

Thanks SusanB..I am back again with a good news..I have lost 3 pounds finally..my scale showed me 159 pounds..I could not believe my eyes..it was stuck in 162 pounds for a long time..I did a few changes in my diet to give room for more veggies and protein rich food..i guess it has played the trick.I know i have just begin the journey but still this gives lots of hope
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Shalu, that is WONDERFUL. I'm glad you've found something that "works". Good for you for seeing the need for switching things up - and then actually doing it.