Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/239/160

Height: 6'0

Default Has Anyone Needed Professional Help....

.. to end their love affair with food? This is a funny question, I know, but a serious one at the same time. I've been on a diet for a little over a month now, and I've done well. But sometimes I just CRAVE foods that I love, to the point where the cravings actually cause me some severe anxiety. Sometimes I can brush them off, but for the last few days, I haven't been able to. I finally gave in tonight, after almost breaking down in tears, and ate some fast food. I didn't go over maintenance calories, but I still feel horrible for setting myself back, even if it's only for one day.

Does this get any easier? I'm a comfort/emotional eater to some degree, and I understand why my cravings cause the anxiety, but is this something I can really handle on my own? Would seeking some sort of counseling or professional help be better for me? Are there any professionals that even deal with food addiction? I don't know.. on the other hand, I don't know how anyone could change or influence my way of thinking and eating for me, and I really want to do this on my own and be strong. Sometimes I just feel so trapped.

Is this normal (to feel so overwhelmed) after about a month of dieting? And can any ladies tell me if they experience more cravings during 'that time of month'? It's that time for me, and I'm wondering if the hormones are causing a lot of these extremely overwhelming cravings and my emotional reactions to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
tallgirl021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oy. The TOM (Time of Month). You'll see lots of threads on it.

Crying? Check.
Craving? Check.
Crying about cravings? Check, check, check.

I think a lot of us get it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing a counselor if you think you might need some help discussing issues - you never know if hte food is only a symptom of something else. But talking to someone to help you learn to deal with the anxiety, could be worthwhile.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #3  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I'd strongly recommend reposting this in the chicks in control forum - if it's that bad it may be at least a borderline eating disorder, or benefit from ED type treatment.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You can definitely get help with these feelings. There is a type of therapy called Cognitive Therapy that has helped lots of people with anxiety. Your local hospital or your doctor may have a list of therapists that you could start with.

When you were a child, did your parents try to comfort you with a food treat when you were upset? That's how this starts sometimes. You begin to associate food with feeling OK. And that "child within" still wants her goody! I mean really, think about it--crying over not being able to have fast food? Oh please! Clearly it's not about the food.

Hang on! You can do this!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

hi!

i am also a serious comfort/emotional overeater and 2 years ago i was so heavy i felt i had to seek counseling for my unhealthy relationship to food as well as anxiety issues. i was just so overwhelmed and felt i could not deal with it on my own. i have never regretted it.i did cognitive behavioral therapy and it changed my life!
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

theres nothing wrong with asking for help...with 60% of our population overweight and 30% of those being obese...I think that many people could benefit from some counseling.

I don't know where to refer you for help..I do know that there are rehab type centers for obese people where psychological counseling is part of treatment...therefore there must be people who specialize in this.

also many dietitians work with people with eating issues daily and may have some insight into your problem.

keep fighting, good luck
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

The TOM can be tough for me too! I would say there is NOTHING WRONG with asking for some help from a therapist. It couldn't hurt, right? A lot of health insurance companies will pay for it if that's an issue. I think some people have a harder time than others. I do not have severe issues but I am on zoloft for depression/anxiety so I think that helps with that problem. I wouldn't reccomend to go searching for happy pills, but I agree that some outside help may make you feel a little more sure about your efforts.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #8  
Getting my groove back!!

S/C/G: 254/180

Tall girl

Funny i should read this particular post tonight. I am seeing a phyciatrist on wed becsue my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) has become very active and i KNOW that it is affecting my eating habits. Trust me crying over fast food does not seem wierd considering what i have done in the past.

Hold tight and get someone to talk to. You are not weak for getting professional help. You are strong for realizing what you need and going and getting it.

LOTS OF HUGS FOR TALL GIRL
neurotictigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #9  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Once I realized that I was eating emotionally (believe it or not I had no idea that was the root of it) I started to really become aware of my triggers. I have found new things in life to deal with those triggers (walking, treating myself without using food, window shopping) and so far I'm doing good. But I know that if it becomes too much to handle again I will be making an appointment with a counselor. I know that CBT can work wonders. Let us know how you're doing.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote