Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #108

G'day all,

Suz we don't have the cold weather that some of you experience, in our winter, that is in Adelaide, we never have snow, our winters are quite mild, I do not even possess a winter coat only lightweight jackets.

Peggy I just went to a funeral of a an 84 year old lady, she was just amazing, she was involved with so many things, the church was packed, it was one of the nicest funerals I have ever been to. The minister was just a delight, the singing of members of the church community was just magnificent and after the funeral we had a lovely supper organised by the ladies of the church. I couldn't help but think of my own parents, their lives, their funerals and how different everything could have been......

Trudy your visit to your s-i-l really brings it home to me how cold it must be, far out having to plug everone's car battery to ensure you get home!!!!
Pleased to hear Slavika is enjoying her holiday in the warmth!

Ann you continue to be busy as usual, good for you. Sounds like Bonita Springs will be a nice little break for you and your SIL.

I went to the Craniofacial organisation this morning for another briefing for the website. The work they do is just amazing. They have provided me with before and after pictures to create into a slideshow, just fantastic.

I will share it with you as soon as I can, you will be impressed with the work they do.

I have to fly, visitors at my door....

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #2  
Fun Blonde

Girls, right now I wish I were retired with my whole heart. My office is an armed camp. Has something to do with this unrelenting weather and a lot to do with stress from home. One lady is giving us the cold shoulder and we don't understand why.

Today I have two doctor's appointments. What fun! One is the week post-op for my eyes and the little girls from Cancer Care called yesterday to remind me of my blood test which I scheduled so long ago, I forgot. I probably surprised her with my "Oh sh.....!" response but it just took me off guard. Yesterday my brother had a procedure and my sister. We just talk anymore about what latest doctor's visits we have had.

Okay. I'm cranky. Trudy, with that weather I would probably be in a padded room by now. I am in awe of you. And Peggy, you are another awe-inspiring person, taking care of your in-laws like this. I did this when I was younger and now wish I could go back and see them a little bit. Oh well.

Maria, I get into those nostalgic moments a lot. Some people are so blessed with wonderful attitudes, more valuable than all the money in the world. I would like to live my life so my funeral would be that much a send-off. And you are right. 106 degrees is about as bad as 32 degrees. Cabin fever no matter which way.

Suze, sounds like your weather is a little more bearable, since the bad comes and goes. And don't you love going into your new renovations and just looking.

So glad Slavika is having a great time and being pampered in the sunshine. Just had to throw an envious thought out of my mind.

Ann, love to hear about your busy lives. And what fun to have the ladies appreciation dinner.

Well, soon off to the first of my appointments for the day. I have to walk about 3 blocks in this cold. Yuck!
Glenda
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #3  
Member Florida Chick

Good Morning:
Glenda_ I hope all goes well with your appointments today. No reason not to, i am sure. I know what you mean, always seeming to talk about Dr. appts and health. That is one thing about living in a retirement park like we do. We all seem to be doing that. We also compare Dr's and their 'bedside manner':

Maria: It will be interesting to see what you are doing with the website. Are these people to rebuild faces, etc from sever trauma? It seems fascinating to me.

The temp is a little warmer today, but cloudy. I enjoyed watching the eclipse for a while, but then a big cloud came and it was totally obscured from view.

I have been busy answering a whole set of questions from my GD about my thoughts on a number of things. She is doing a paper on generations etc, so I am putting in my thoughts about family and what I generally think about life. I guess that would be the best way to describe what she is asking. I have had to do a lot of thinking.

This afternoon we will be going to our tax preparer to present all the stuff so he can figure out our income tax. There is no way we could do it anymore. Things have become too complicated.

What do you all think of the New York Times article putting 'smut' onto John McCain? I think the Times is basically a liberal paper, and they will do anything to discredit a candidate that they don't approve of. It is a bad sign of the times, being unscrupulous.

My dryer buzzer is calling me. have a great day. Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 02-21-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #4  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi...

I am not so cranky today. The temps have warmed up and it isn't windy. The weather wasn't the topic of conversation everywhere I went today.
We did watch the lunar eclipse... we kept on running out to the garage to take a look. My brother had strong binoculars which really brought it close. The moon actually looked red. It was a very clear night.
I had to laugh at the sharing of medical problems we all do. Last night the young folks talked amongst themselves as the 4 of us discussed our latest aches and pains.
Glenda I hope your doctor appointments were positive. I have a physical next week and am dreading it already.
Ann what will happen if no one steps up to take over your job? Would you stay on?
Maria Some elderly people are so joyful to be around, it sounds like that your lady was like. It is like the e-mail we received about the man who went into the nursing home liking it already. I hope I will be like that if I live long enough.
Peggy It has to be hard not showing your feelings when your MIL is not pleased with life.
As a Canadian looking in on the upcoming US elections, I find that most people are fixed on whether it will be Clinton or Obama, and we forget about McCain being President. Over here, those two get the most press.

Well, back to my kitchen chores.. I am trying to work a miracle with 2 chicken breasts. Bye all..
Old 02-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #5  
Web Nana

Ah Yes, those everlasting DR's visits. That is happening here, too. Tomorrow I have my yearly check up and then the 3rd of March a 6 month check up for the kidney problem I had in August. On April 2 I have my 5 yr Clorestoral (sp) test and on the 3rd Jack has a consultation with a heart DR at MGH ( Mass Gen Hosp). He has been diagnosed with an aortic valve problem but right now no operation has been suggested as he has no symptoms. However, he thinks and I agree that a second opinion is a good idea. Daughter, Chris, who is an OR nurse at MHG for the last 25 yrs. has found us a good DR. At the end of April Jack has his 6th month check up with his reg. heart DR. And on it goes. I have made a chart on the computer of all our appointments just to keep everything straight and so we don't forget.

We are told to expect a storm tomorrow so we got some shopping done today. Not that I feel we would ever starve if we couldn't get out but....LOL!

Norma: Having to plug your car in when you go visiting is the sign of real COLD!!

Maria: On the other hand 106 is going just a little too far in the other direction. I will be very interested in seeing the new work you will do for the website.

Peg: I hope you can get some time for yourself. It isn't easy to be a caregiver. Been there and done that and 'timeouts' are really necessary!

Glenda: You must not recognize yourself with the 'new vision'. Hope everthing continues to go well.

Ann: It is lovely that your GD is asking you those questions that make you think of your past life. I don't think most of the younger generation realized what our lives were like not so long ago. Jack has been on the question end but it had to do with his time in the service. It seems that all 8th graders study WWII and other confrontations in which we were involved. He has had 3 interviews so far...two from his grands and one from a neighbor's kid. He says he is putting out a sign...interviews granted....$5. LOL They all come over with their questions, note paper, and video equipment.

Suz: We haven't done any renovations here for a number of years but I have always loved 'This Old House' which is on our public television channel. They do some very interesting work. Your house will be almost like new very soon.

Well I guess it is time to think about getting food on the table.

Stay well and warm or in the case of Maria...cool.

Gloria

Last edited by nanacas; 02-21-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #6  

G'day all,

Ann
it is the most fascinating organisation Craniofacial Australia. They deal mainly with children with clef palettes and a number of other deformities I had not heard of and will incorporate into the website. Such incredibly brave children and then the amazing results giving them a relatively normal live rather then be put into institutions which was the fate of these children not so long ago.
It certainly makes you realise how fortunate we are to have healthy children and grandchildren.
I cannot wait to show you guys some of the amazing transformations.
Here are some examples from the existing website http://www.craniofacial.com.au/acfu/...disorders.html

Trudy it is a bit the same in Australia about the US elections, I know some of you strongly disagree but I would still like to see Hillary make it and very definitely NOT McCain. I listened to an address he made in LA when we were in the States and was quite shocked that someone with such a narrow view of the world could possibly be an American president.
I would be quite happy with Obama as well. I only look at it how it would effect my part of the world.
I guess that is enough of politics........I am sure you would agree Ann

Good luck with the doctors appointments Glenda. If you were to retire what are your plans on filling the day? I feel retirement is really something that one needs to plan and then it is still a lot of adjusting. I feel very blessed that I am now doing what I love eventhough at times it gets a little overwhelming.

Gloria and Ann I think it is great that the younger generation is so interested in our past. I also think when you start to relate some of the things that you experienced in your younger life, you realise how much you really have done in your life, you sort of forget.
I can imagine Jack would be thoroughly enjoying relating his working life etc. to the younger generations. We certainly enjoyed listening to some of his stories when we visited. He is such a joyous man, you must be doing something right Gloria

Our carpet is down and I am pleased with the results other then it is lighter then I thought. What a huge effort changing carpet is! I am glad we have a large tiled family area where all the furniture was able to go.
Won't be doing that again in a hurry!

I must fly and get on with some work...

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 02-21-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Talking

I don't know where to begin to answer everything so will just ramble on.

I will not go back to the chorus, even if no one else steps up. I might consider it if a whole year goes by and nothing happens, but I doubt it. I would have to have some really great ideas to start again.

My GD is not only asking about things in my life but also asking opinions about what I think of todays children, how my life was different, what I think is good and bad about today.
Here's one of the questions- What do you think of todays adults? Todays children? What advice might you give them about life in general?
Or-=What do you think are some misconceptions young people have about old people? How should we try and correct them?

How would you answer these. I have had to do a lot of thinking, and i may have to go back and change some of what I put in my first draft of the questions.

Politically, I am basically a conservative, and a Republican, so I don't have much to say about either of the Democratice candidates. My personal choice would be Mike Huckaby. I like what he says on a lot of issues. I am upset at the New York Times, a basically liberal newspaper, with their starting their smut campaign against John McCain. The smut campains turn me right off, and I sure don't like to listen to the candidates bad-mouth one another. They need to stick to the issues. I have very unkind thoughts about Hilary and it isn't because she is a woman. A woman president would be good, just not her.

Maria: I've never even heard of those facial deformaties before that are on the existing web site. the transformations must be almost like miracles for those children. Gives them a whole new life.

Peggy: Are you snowed in? I heard that Ohio was getting socked with snow. True?

Gloria: It is great thaat your Jack is helping kids and telling them what it was like. There are so many forces against telling what WW2 was really like. And it is disturbing to know that there are those trying to say that the holocaust never happened. I'll never forget those photos that were published at the time. And i was just a kid, but that is something you can't forget. Our kids need to know these things.

Glenda: I hope all is well with your Dr. appointments. Are you thinking of retirement? I have found it very fulfilling, because I now have time to do all those things there was never time for before, when i was working full time. I know some gals who do a lot of volunteer work, Hospice, and Hospital Pink ladies. That was never for me, but I do other volunteer work, like at church in the office, and also I have time to do some of the crafty things I like to do. I'm hoping to start another quilt now.

Suz: Are you finished with your redecorating? It must give you a feeling of satisfaction to have it completed. How about your snow level? I must say I am so happy that I don't have to drive in the stuff anymore. Do you ever get to Kingston? I like that city alot.

Time for me to turn in. I walked this a.m., did Curves and then tonight we had an hour of linedancing, so I am ready for a snooze. Have a great weekend everyone. Ann
Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Beautiful Monday morning and it promises to be a lovely day despite no rain

Ann it must be a bit challenging having to try and answer all those questions of your GD, good she is interested in the past and what this generation can learn from it.
On politics I agree with you that the 'smut' that gets thrown around at times of elections is a disgrace and doesn't do anyone any favours.

I have a very busy week, our daugther, son-in-law and little Saskia will fly over on Thursday from Melbourne and will be staying for a week.
They have not been home for some time, we usually go and visit them in Melbourne. She is looking forward to catching up with her friends in Adelaide.

I want to try and get as much work done as I can before they get here so I can relax and enjoy their stay.

Have a great week all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #9  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Afternoon Ladies
We are almost done with the second room Just the floor to put down and then put the bed together when i have not been able to help my DH with the renovation work I have been cleanibg out my filing cabinrt and refiling stuff We both went through our clothes and got rid of things we do not wear anymore and after I clean them all I will be donating 3 big boxes of clothing to our community care store

its been so nice here the last 3 days sunny, mild and tomorrow we are going to get another snow storm about 4 to 6 inches it will be so nice just to stay home and watch it snow

Take care Ladies Suz
Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #10  
Fun Blonde

I am going to retire in June 2010, as of now. Just at times it sounds like I should retire tomorrow. The office has declared a truce now. One lady just had her feelings hurt. I just don't take offense as easily as I used to or I would be angry all the time.

My eyes are fine, but I definitely will have to have reading glasses and both eyes are very different so I will have to have official reading glasses from the doc. Sure enjoy seeing as well as I do for far vision.

It is super cold here, but sunny. I met two friends for lunch and walked about three blocks and it wasn't bad at all as long as you are really, really dressed warm.

Maria, I think regarding politics, I just dread the whole thing. I am already so tired of the bickering, but ready to get some new blood. I think things are so sad right now in the world, but unlike Mrs. Obama, I am very proud of our country in so many ways. We have good lives, lots of problems, but lots of blessings too.

I have been going to the gym lately and not lifting weights, just walking for an hour on the treadmill. Last night all the treadmills were busy and I rode a bicycle for 15 minutes and then on to the treadmill. Last night I was so sore I had that dreaded "lead butt" syndrome. I guess I need to change up my routine. And I know I can go back to lifting weights now, but that has always been a chore.

Ann, I hope every school child has those homework assignments. I think we are educating a lot of kids who can do amazing things on the computer but don't know what direction Canada is from the US. So history is often left behind. If you ever get Jack to write his experiences down, post them somewhere. I would love to read them. History is my passion.

Getting a new president of the university soon. Everybody is going in circles, trying to please. I am on my way to get some aspirin for the above-mentioned syndrome. To each his own.
Glenda
Old 02-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #11  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi all..

Glenda take it from me. Hand weights can be dangerous to your health. I dropped a 7 lb hand weight on my foot yesterday and broke my big toe. At first my toe felt sort of numb and then the pain set in. It was after the workout when I was returning the 2 7lb and the 2 5lb, it just slipped. How careless I was! I am sitting here with my foot on a big pillow.
Too bad there is so much tension in your office. How many people work in the office?
Maria How nice to have a visit from your daughter and family. I am sure you will enjoy spending time with them and little Saskia.
Suz Your redecorating is moving along so quickly. More snow... hope that doesn't happen to us. I have had it with that stuff, I want to see spring again.
Ann I am not fond of politics either. Looks like we might be heading into another election too. All the back stabbing and nastiness makes me want to tune the whole thing out.
Gloria You have had your physical already, hope the doctor didn't find anything else wrong. I go tomorrow, and I am not looking forward to it. I have a list of questions to ask.
Hi to Karen and Peggy ... keep well everyone.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #12  

G'day all,

Probably won't be here for the next week or so, our daughter is arriving lunchtime and is leaving again next Thursday.
I am looking forward to having them here but it will be very busy.

Sorry to hear asbout your mishap with the weights Trudy , sounds very painful

So only another 2 years Glenda and you join most of us in retirement. I can only speak for myself and found the first 12 months or so quite difficult until I adjusted and found new and exciting things to do.
I now wish I had discovered some of those things 20 years ago

It is quite incredible how much 'rubbish' we keep in our wardrobes, we have done a similar thing Suz, I have not only got rid of excess clothing but all sorts of other things as well. I hope whoever buys it from the charity store I donated it to will get good use out of my excess 'stuff'!

Have a great week all, see you next week when I am back to 'norma' again after my visitors.

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Hey girls, good news here. I know people might get tired of hearing about my good cancer test news. You know that I don't really, really actively worry about it, but I do get a bit nervous around time to go get the results. Well, again it was good news. I felts so relieved last night. This is the 14th anniversary of my first diagnosis and the 10th anniversary of my recurrence. I am very blessed and really do know that. Several are survivors of some health problem and know that each day is such a gift.

I know Maria is having the time of her life, and probably falling into bed, asleep before her head hits the pillow. But what fun! I like to relive those times over and over in my memory.

Makenzie and her daddy went to a father-daughter dance right after Valentine's day. It is a very serious affair with no mommies. Anyway, she wore her princess dress and got a flower corsage, the works. And she and Joel had been practicing dancing. He said she dips with a very dramatic flair. I can't wait to see pictures.

Well, here is hoping you are all seeing the sunshine and hearing a bird or two.

Have a good weekend.
Glenda
Old 02-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #14  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Afternoon Ladies

Well it is snowing again we are supposed to get another 2 or 3 inches by tomorrow I am sick of this too I WANT SPRING

The room is done we just have to put the bed together now my DH is excited about doing our bedroom We may start it next week but we will soon have to start some plants indoors for the garden The garden will keep us busy until late Oct

Hope everyone has a great weekend Suz
Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Happy weekend, everyone-

Norma: sorry about the broken toe. that must be very painful, and there is not that much that they do for broken toes anymore. did you get any sort of splint, or imobilizer?

I have to tell you that this Granddaughter is in a PHD program for physical therapy, and she gets to work with all age groups. and also sports medicine. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of this assignment is for her studies, but I'm sure I'll find out. I finally sent off my answers today. I hope she will find them useful for her project.

I survived my treadmill stress test today. I did a lot of huffing and puffing toward the end, but they talked me through it. The worst part of the whole thing was that I got so dry, the room is cold and dry, that I got into coughing spasms and just couldn't seem to stop. Finally by the time I had the second set of pictures taken I was managing not to cough. A struggle, since you have to lay so still, and not talk or move. I'll get the report on Tuesday. I think I did okay. but time will tell.

This has been a week for Dr's. Dh had his iron infusion on Thursday. Never a dull moment around here.

Suz- I don't envy you all the snow. do you have a greenhouse to start your plants? So you have one more room to do.

I am afraid we may have some major work, but I sure hope not. We had a bad rain storm on Tues. and it leaked in all around one window, at the top. The casing was all soaked. Our neighborhood handyman came and looked at it and I hope he will be able to tell us tomorrow just what has to be done. I sure hope nothing major.

Maria- I know you are having great fun with your kids, and I expect we'll see some new pictures after your time together is over.

Glenda: I know the relief you must feel after your test is over. I know that is the way I feel when I am finished with the check-up colonoscopy and he says everything is all right.

I imagine that Peggy must be enjoying snow days from school, if all I read about Ohio weather is true.

And gloria- I hope all your Dr. appointments are all positive for you both.

Now it is time for me to go to bed. I've had a very stressful
day. : Ann
Closed Thread