South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #1  

Question Off Topic: Long Hair Care Questions

I have several questions about hair care. I know this is not diet related, but exercising has brought up a new question.

First, I have long hair that reaches well past my shoulders. I don't know what to do with it at night. When I wake up it is a knotted mess. I have tried a night cap or scarf and it never makes it through the night. I have tried a satin pillowcase, but it broke my face out. No idea why! And the one thing that I found that worked was using a covered elastic band and pulling it up in a ponytail on the very top of my head. But then sadly, my hair began breaking. Does else have long hair, and if so what do you do with it while you sleep. I am trying loose braid right now but the breaking is still occurring.

Here is the question that has been brought up since starting South Beach and exercising more frequently. I have always read and been told that washing my hair is not necessary. But my hair gets very oily by the end of the day, and I have to wash it every day. Does everyone else was their hair every day? Now when I exercise I obviously get sweaty. So I am washing my hair twice a day at least. It is taking a lot of time! And since it is long it takes a long time to blow dry. If I try to just comb it and let it air dry I freeze!

I am sorry if this is silly, I just wanted some advice.

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hrm. Well, I have thick hair that reaches down to my butt. If it's down, I sit on it sometimes

Sleeping: I brush it before going to bed. I lay down and move it all up above my head... and... sleep! Sure I have knots when I wake up in the morning, but I just brush it again when I wake up. Sorry that's not much help ^^

Showering: I actually only wash my hair once every few days. It's so long that it can take all day to air dry. And quite frankly, even though I have oily hair, it's still clean for a couple days after a nice wash. I only rinse off following working out. No shampoos.

Side Note: I wear my hair up 99.9% of the time. I use Scunci Large Flat
No Damage Elastics.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-27-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #3  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I have very long hair...half way down my back. I ALWAYS sleep with my hair up. I use the bands without the metal piece so my hair doesn't get stuck. I don't put it in a ponytail though because it breaks my hair as well. I do the half ponytail thing....where I pull my hair almost all the way through and loop it again so its kind of on top of my head all up. Does that make sense? I sometimes use a scrunchy because they are softer and don't hold my hair as tight. I have pretty thick hair.
Also regarding the washing, I do not wash my hair everyday. It makes my hair very dry and not shiny. I wash my hair every other day or sometimes every two days. I have been doing that since I was very little. My hair stylist says it will keep your hair healthy. Hope that helps.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #4  

I think that the Scrunci idea is excellent. I was pulling it up in a complete ponytail, but the half pull thing might work better. I look like Cousin It when I don't have it pulled back somehow at night! So funny!

So if I work out, I can rinse my hair, but no need to wash. I never even considered doing that.

These ideas are helping. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Mine is long too and CURLY/FRIZZY. I have a silky scrunchy that I put it up with at night so it's very gentle on it. I used to wash it every day, but now only every 5 days or so, but do condition/rinse every morning. I use products called "Mixed Chicks". My hair is very dry, so I also put olive oil scented with yummy smelling essential oils in it every night. My hair sucks it right up, so I'm not a greasy mess.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #6  
About 4 months over!

S/C/G: 192/173/140

Height: 5'2"

HI, I too don't wash my hair every day. I have long think wavy hair. Its actually harder to manage when it's " clean" I just rinse really well and wash it about every 2-3 days depending on what I have going on.

As far as night time..I just brush then go to bed. I use Infusium after my showers even if I don't wash so that helps to keep it untangled.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #7  

I wear mine on top of my head at night...not necessarily for the tangling issue, but more for the fact that I can't sleep if my neck perspires. I use a soft scrunchie and I loop it through in a semi-bun kind of thing. I have wavy/curly hair, but I've been wearing it straight (with the assistance of a very good flat iron). I have noticed that I need to wash it more often. If your hair gets a little oily near the scalp, you can buy a product called Pssssst... or just sprinkle a little baby powder near the scalp and brush it out. Be careful if your hair is dark because it'll make your hair look grey. I, in case you can't tell, will do nearly anything to avoid washing my hair.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I have thick, long wavy hair -- I guess I'm lucky and I don't get any tangles when I sleep at night. I sleep on my back too. I don't even brush it before going to bed. BUT -- I spent six weeks completely bed bound recently and got tangles and mats like you wouldn't believe. A normal ponytail didn't work so I started wearing a tight ponytail to the side or on the very top of my head. It kept the tangles away for a few days at a time. My hair didn't break, but I agree with the other posters, you should shop around for a good scrunchie or no damage holder. I don't use ones with metal on them.

As for washing, I wash my hair every other day. I only shampoo the very top and don't put my hair on top of my head and wash all of it. It damages it. What type of shampoo do you use? I use yummy smelling herbal essences or garnier fructis for my shampoo, and Nexus Therappe for the conditioner. I also use Graham Webb silk repair leave-in conditioner on non-washing days. And I carry Biosilk smooting balm in my purse in case my hair gets unruly when I'm out and about.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #9  

I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Shampoo and conditioner. I have started washing just my roots and not the ends of my hair. I have gone out and purchased some non-damaging elastics. I am going to try putting my hair on the top of my head again tonight. I went and got a really good trim today, because I thought taking off the dead ends might help prevent some tangles.

I tried not washing my hair and it ended up a greasy looking mess! I do have dark hair, so powder would be out of the question. I looked at the dry shampoos. I wonder if that is something I can pick up at the local drug store or beauty supply store.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #10  

They have Psssst at Walgreens.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I have long hair too and I always braid it before I go to bed.. I Never wake up with tangles
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I have long hair to, but I usually don't do anything special with it at night. I do however, wash my hair every day. My fair is super fine and very oilly. If I don't wash it every day my scalp gets so itchy I can't stand it. Plus my hair gets all limp and greasy looking by the next afternoon. I usually workout in the morning so I just shower after my workout and I'm god for the rest of the day. If I work out in the evening I just rince off my body and leave my hair alone until the morning.
Closed Thread