Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/215/175

Height: 5'11

Default Need Help!

Does anyone has advice on how I can get passed my non-desire to exercise. I've lost 40 pounds and need to lose another 40 pounds and I'm stuck. I can't get motavated to do the right things. Please help.. anyone?
blueyes37323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

First, congrats on the weight loss thus far, amazing accomplishment. Now, I'm in the same boat. I've lost 30+ lbs and I just can't get motovaited at all. I'm thinking it's partly due to the weather and work being so busy. By the time I get home I am so wiped and just want to veg. Any and all advice will be so welcomed!!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #3  

Congrats to you Borntofly!! Hopefully we'll get some advice soon.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #4  

Need advice please send it our way. Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

To both of you - what do you think the problem is with exercise specifically?

In my experience, better eating habits are, at first, a little difficult. You want to do things the old way you did them. You want to be able to get your same old convenience foods...change is uncomfortable. But you get through it...you push through, you eventually change your habits, and you settle in, right? You may even start to really LIKE your new foods and exploring the new flavors.

Exercise is the same way. At first, it is difficult, and feels like a big change. But then, you adjust. You change your habits, and eventually you really get to LIKING it.

So how to get started....just start. And keep at it. Eventually, it'll get a lot easier.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Are you watching tv? Stand up and march in place while you are watching tv. Anything to get you moving. Just try 10-15 minutes to start. You don't have to go whole hog and do a marathon right away.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #7  

Thank you for relpying. I will give it a try
Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

I, too, echo the "just do it" but "start small" approach. I began my exercise with 10 minute walks. That's it! After the 10 minutes was done, I felt happy to have moved my legs. I did that for a month before building up. It was all about getting started & staying commited.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #9  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be formal "exercise," especially at first. When you are starting out doing things like walking the dog or kicking a soccer ball with the kids or family hikes are great. Obviously, as you get in better shape you will eventually have to increase the intensity of the exercise, but at the beginning just do something, anything really, to move more than you ordinarily would. But at the same time remember that doing the bare minimum may result in a minimal loss, so the more the better but a little is better than nothing.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The problem here is that no one can really motivate you except YOU!

I think we've all gone through it, and really "just do it" is lame-sounding, but it's the best there is.

Tonight I didn't want to go to the gym. I'm going out of town for a week and a half, leaving on Thurs. I kept thinking of everything I needed to do between now and then. I kept thinking of how tired I was. I kept thinking that I could just "skip tonight". And I went anyway. Cause ... I'm an adult and going to the gym is part of what being a responsible adult is for me. Unfortunately!

So you just gotta ... do it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #11  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Hi and Blue Eyes - congrats on the 40lbs! That is fantastic!

The one thing that I found really helpful for me to start exercising was to join a gym and hire a trainer. I was so overwhelmed at first and so intimidated by the gym that I really needed someone to sit down with me and talk over my goals and to work out a routine for me to follow. I am very "routine oriented" in my life so that was something that I personally needed to have (just like I need to calorie count). I also have committed to a schedule of going every second day. I joined on Jan. 4 and have only missed one day when I was passing a kidney stone (pretty decent excuse). I'm not sure if this will help as far as motivating you - but what worked for me was to make it part of my routine and to make it official by paying someone to help me. I read somewhere that if you do something 21 times it becomes a habit (good or bad), so I guess it's now a habit!

Good Luck!
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I am the same way. I hate to exercise. So I have to trick myself. I lost the first 45 lbs. without much in the way of exercise, but now it's getting to the point where I am going to have to do it. I think finding something you can live with is key. I have been trying different things, walking with a friend, using a bowflex, neither of those worked too well for me. I got a bunch of DVDs and have been having success with those lately. I can just stick one in on my lunch hour or whenever I've got a half hour. I like the Walk Away the Pounds ones best so far. I also made a new rule for myself. I live in a small town and I am not allowed to drive anywhere in town anymore. I walk the kids to and from school each day, and if I need to go to the bank or post office, I have to walk. I get in at least 2 miles/day this way. We love to swim in the summer, so last weekend we joined the YMCA so we can use the pool there. The kids were very interested in trying out the racquetball courts, so we'll do that next weekend. They have free classes for members and a big fitness center, so I look forward to trying some different stuff to see what works. You do have to make a commitment and just do it, but if it's not a little bit fun, I don't think it'll stick.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 02-27-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Blueyes, congrats - big time - on the 40 lbs lost. Now we gotta get you working on the next 40.

Make exercise a priority. SCHEDUELE it into your day. Actually write it in your planner, calender, whatever. Like an unbreakable appointment. Like a dentist or a doctor's appointment. This is your time to exercise and that is that. No if ands or buts.

You won't ever, ever regret adding exercise into your day. It just has SO many benefits. Good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #14  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I do things I like to do - like walking with an mp3 player. I walk 4 km every day (or 3 miles). It may not seem like much but it ends up being 20 km or 15 miles every week I have to take two busses to work... one bus is about 20 km, the other is 2. I walk the 2nd bus route to and from work when weather allows it, and i feel so much better for it. In fact I get a walking buddy from my office once in a while as she is starting to pick up on the habit. My problem is she tends to walk slower lol.

Also, playing with kids - kick a soccer ball around, play some basketball, join a softball team, go golfing - lots of fun things to do and it won't even seem like youre exercising, just having fun.

Do you like to swim? How about water slides? Sledding? Skiing? It's all exercise and all very fun

Last edited by tamaralynn; 02-27-2008 at 08:26 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Make exercise a priority. SCHEDUELE it into your day. Actually write it in your planner, calender, whatever. Like an unbreakable appointment. Like a dentist or a doctor's appointment. This is your time to exercise and that is that. No if ands or buts.
This is what I do. Although I don't exactly schedule an exact time for my exercise I do write in my planner what I would like to accomplish that day. I do between 30 minutes and 2 1/2 hours a day. Rarely do I take one day off (but that's me.) I feel I really need the exercise time to keep me grounded. So if I've had a super busy day and didn't do my exercise in the morning or over my lunch break, you can bet I'll be getting in at least an hour before bed.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote