Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Default How much shrimp can I eat?

Seriously, the serving is "4 ounces" what the heck does 4 ounces of frozen shrimp look like? I don't have a food scale. Anyone have any idea?
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What size are the shrimp? Shrimp are usually graded by the number of shrimp per pound...so, for example, shrimp labeled "21-30" come approximately 21-30 shrimp to a pound.

Let's say you had 21-30 shrimp. 4 oz is 1/4 of a lb, so you could get 4 oz of shrimp by counting out 6 or so of the shrimp. If you had 40 count shrimp, 10 shrimp would be a 4 oz serving.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I highly highly recommend a food scale if you are counting calories. I bought an inexpensive one at target and I love it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I get the bag of large frozen shrimp. 15 is a serving. I eat shrimp at least 2 times a week. I try to make up a stirfry with it and frozen veggies really hits the spot with a few calories. I end up with a huge plate of food and only 110 calories.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Thanks girlies! I have been thinking of getting a food scale but keep forgetting when I am near a store. I don't pass any stores between work and home. I'll make it a point to do it!!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

ITA about the scale. I found a cheapie one at Bed & Bath. I used my coupon and got it for under $10, I think.

I'm thinking of getting a new one that has the display on the side so you don't have to look under whatever you are using to hold the food.

As far as weight, find something at home that weighs a certain number of ounces. You'll just have to kinda feel for the same weight or count them out.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Pampered Chef makes a nice, easy to read scale that weighs in both pounds/ounces and kgs. Of course, I can't say it was cheap.

I love shrimp, and love that it's low calorie besides!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: too much/a lot less

This makes me sad...
On my honeymoon I found out that I am highly allergic to shrimp.. It sucks... I only tried one piece of my husband's shrimp platter, and ended up in the hospital for the night!

So maybe you could eat an extra piece- and think of me!!

-cHuNkYcHeLsEa*
chunkychelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

I miss really fresh shrimp. Seems like no one does shrimping here. you buy it on the roadside in Maine, so fresh its still moving. 4 oz fills the palm of my hand with one layer of meat. you can add a couple for the weight of the shells probably.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I use a scale more often than I do measuring cups or spoons. It bugs me to use a measuring device because it is another dirty dish, and I dont want to eat out of a measuring cup! Plus I find a scale so much more accurate. I tried the pasta thing (cup of cooked pasta = 2 oz) Well. If I make 4oz dry wt spaghetti for my entire family, we have leftovers, if I make 4 oz dry wt rotini I usually have to make more. They do not pack in to a cup the same
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote