Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Lightbulb It's not calling to me...

All my life, I've felt like food was calling out to me. I'd pass a donut (or even a donut store) and hear it call, "Come, eat me, yum, I know you want to." This was not limited to donuts, of course. If it was bad for me, I'd hear it calling. Even if I wasn't hungry, even if I was completely full, even if it was the last thing I needed in the house, I'd hear it calling.

Lately, though, things are remarkably quiet. Sometime in the past month, I stopped hearing those calls. I remember browsing the after-Christmas candy sales, forcing myself not to purchase delicious chocolate at half off. Today, I walked right past a display of after-Valentine chocolate, and didn't even give it a second glance. And suddenly I realized that I'd been doing things like that for weeks.

It's not about saying no to temptation; I thought it was at first, but it's something different. On reflection, I think it comes down to the fact that the temptation isn't overwhelming, consuming, and ever-present. Sometimes, more often than not, lately, it isn't there at all.

What an interesting experience. This may actually be the first time in my entire life that I haven't heard food calling out to me. Last week, when I went out to dinner, I didn't order desert. I was full, I had enjoyed it, and I didn't even consider, not even wistfully, ordering desert. And I'm just now realizing how many dinners out have ended with me feeling unsatisfied (or wistful, or deprived, or regretful), but very proud of my resistance.

I don't think I ever really believed that people didn't hear the call. It's been such a constant part of my life since childhood. People even use that phrase, "it's calling to me," to describe being tempted. I think I believed that everyone struggled just as much as I did to not eat things. I know I believed that I would struggle that much for the rest of my life. How strange to know for a fact that I was wrong. How wonderful, but very, very strange.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #2  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I sorta experienced that.
I wouldn't hear voices but I realized that I would just eat. Not because I was hungry but because the food was there and I knew I could eat it.
It's been a month since I started my diet and those thoughts are completely gone. My mom will buy snacks and cakes and I just walk past them without giving them a second look. I don't even feel tempted. I think probably because this is the first time i've been so driven to lose weight.
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Congrats Lisa! It's amazing that once we start eating properly, the cravings just disappear!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yes. How very, VERY wonderful for you.

rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Lately, though, things are remarkably quiet. Sometime in the past month, I stopped hearing those calls. I remember browsing the after-Christmas candy sales, forcing myself not to purchase delicious chocolate at half off. Today, I walked right past a display of after-Valentine chocolate, and didn't even give it a second glance. And suddenly I realized that I'd been doing things like that for weeks.
Isn't that the most awesome thing in the world?

I love being able to walk past a candy display (or a chip display - my weakness) and not feel like I have to buy them. I walked into Kroger the other day and there was a HUGE rack by the door - all Lay's chips 2 bags for $3. Before I'd have bought 6 bags - $10 worth of chips. And I'd probably have eaten 1/2 of one of them on the way home. But last night I just went ... "huh. that's a good price" ... and walked right back to the dairy department and bought my yogurt and eggs.

Good for you!!!! You'll love the freedom that you feel when you're not compelled to look at and buy junk!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That is awesome. I too am experiencing this lull in the calls and am loving every minute of it. I know that each day I go without hearing the food calling is one more day for me to get stronger for the next time it does call. (I have no doubt it will.)
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

That is wonderful....I am so glad to hear this. I too have gone thru spurts of time when certain foods didn't call to me. YAY!!!!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

That is so awesome!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8"

It is funny. Lisa, because I don't think you could say what you said in a lot of places and have other people understand what in the world you are talking about! That is what is so great about this web site.

I was thinking about this the other day. We had to take my son to urgent care (broken bone) and I did not ONCE think about what/how I was going to eat. I call that progress. The best thing is now I can go to the grocery store hungry and not get any junk that I don't need! I love that!

Congradulations to you!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile It is a wonderful feeling to have feel compulsive.....

I have struggled and worked on this very thing for the past thirteen years.

In times of extreme stress, it still happens but not always and not always in a consistent manner.

I am so glad that you experienced this so that you know how it feels to have a non-compulsive moment, time, week, whatever.

Thanks for sharing.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote