Old 02-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #1  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Default Stuck - but not a plateau

I'm absolutely stuck in the 160's but it is entirely mental. Curious if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get over the hump. I have been in the 160's basically since the end of November. I got down to 160.4 around mid December, then shot all the way up to 170 in Jan, then back down all the way to 160, then back up, then I ventured down to 157 about 10 days ago and am back to 164. I binge everytime I get near the 50's, and when I did get into the 50's I completely lost it and went out of control. I want to be in the 150's so badly, I really really do, but I self-sabotage every time it becomes a reality. 160 has always been a somewhat symbolic number as it is the lowest I can ever remember being, but I can't figure out what is going on in my head that is making me act like this. Anyone have any experience or insight?
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It may not be entirely mental--your body may be really comfortable at that weight. I've been stuck in the 150s. I can't say I binge when I get lower, but I do tend to go off plan. (One can overeat without bingeing.)

I don't have an easy answer. Currently I've increased my exercise in hopes of offsetting things. I try to stay on plan/within my alloted calories, but I'm having a lot of trouble doing so. I really have to stay aware and conscious of what I'm doing, and try not to let an attitude of "Oh, just eat it!" hijack my program. No, I will NOT "just eat it"! (Sometimes one attitude wins, sometimes the other.)

I've also decided not to record my weight except once a week. I may just not weigh every day for awhile either, but still track my calories very carefully. If I can just string a week together without overeating, I might get through it. I might start checking days off on a calendar--days on plan--as an incentive.

Good luck! Let's both move on!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-24-2008 at 07:02 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I don't have much advice for you, but I can tell you that you are not alone. I've been stuck in the 170's for over a year and recognize that it's my behaviors keeping me here. I just end up not eating to lose.

In many many ways I am very comfortable at this weight. I'm maintaining a 120 pound weight loss and this is really my lowest adult weight. I can do everything I want to do and fit into size 12 clothes -- my dream!

So, I think I know why I'm stuck here. And I don't think I have the will to go lower, so I'm okay with this for now.

But if you do want to lose, you will have to find a way to move past the mindset!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm kinda in the same spot right now, having been "stuck" at 194 for over a month now. But I know it's me and not a plateau, and I'm tweaking things and working at it and I'll let you know if anything works for me. But one thing I'm trying to NOT concentrate on is the number. My goal every day is to stay on plan, and not to obtain some arbitrary number on the scale. So I have quit weighing except for about once a month. My thinking is that if this is a mental block, if I can distract myself by thinking about other things, maybe it will happen while I'm not noticing. Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled when I get into the 180's! But for now, I'm just not gonna worry about it.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #5  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Thanks for the ideas. Despite jmy history as a compulsive daily weigher, I think the idea of weighing once a week is key here. That way I won't know if I drop below 160. It is unquestionably my behaviors keeping me above 160, so maybe if I don't know that I drop into the 50's, I won't alter my behavior away from weight loss mode. Oh wow, based on my attachment to the scale numbers I can tell now that maintenance is going to be my real challenge!
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #6  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

I'm in the same boat. Since Halloween I have been stuck. For the LONGEST time I was stuck in the 240's. I got to see 230, but now the weight fluctuates between 233 and 238. At my one job, I stand on my feet for 8 hrs, and I can feel my legs swell up (it's a funny feeling actually, 2 yrs ago I was naturally swollen, and didn't feel any changes, now the slightest water gain I will feel it). I also drink water the entire shift (coffee's too, if it's graveyard). I'll weigh myself for the heckuva it after work, and hit 242. With a potty break or 2 in the middle of the night, I'll lose 5lbs literally over night.

I know what I need to do to continue losing, but maybe I am afraid of success? As long as I am not gaining, and just maintaining, I'm happy.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

What do you think would happen if you forgot about the scale?

How about if you weigh yourself only once a month?

That way you couldn't "self sabotage" & would have to focus on other progress indicators.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #8  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

This is absolutely my problem, too. After hovering around 162-164 for about three years - yeah, three years! - I finally broke into the 150's this winter. Now I'm stuck in the low 150's, taking one step forward and one step back, over and over.

I think it's both a mind and body issue. We've adjusted mentally and physically to what it takes to get to and maintain a particular "decade" of weight. We're comfortable here. We've done so well. And now we have to change our routine...again? And eat less to keep losing? How unfair is that?!

To get below that 160 mark, I had to re-evaluate my plan, decrease my calories, and hit the gym 4-5 days a week with increased intensity. What to do to get into the 140's, I haven't yet figured out! Like JayEll said, it may just be a matter of getting more disciplined than I've been in the past.

Anyway, I can relate. I'm sure we'll break through when we're ready to really work at it!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #9  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

I totally feel you. I have been stuck for quite some time. I got down to 182 late October, then I lost myself and my focus during the holidays. I feel like I am sabotaging myself to an extent. I haven't gained any weight since Christmas, but I am not eating to lose either. I am still overweight/unhealthy. Even though I can fit into smaller clothes, I know I am too big. I am trying really hard to get back on track though, and I am just thankful I am not gaining. Once I get back to 182, I am just going to be very careful. I know once I see the 170s I'll be able to keep going. I just feel like it is going to be so hard to get there. I lost the bulk of my weight last summer, so I am hoping once summer rolls around I can pick up the pace again.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #10  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Yep, my magic "scary" number is 187

It's the place where I lost it all both times before! It's the lowest I made it before failure.

Some kind of fear of the unknown perhaps?

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #11  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

I can totally relate, I get very anxious everytime I don´t loose as much as I´d expect or everytime I get near the 130´s ... I had been stuck for almost 2 years between 145 - 160, until beginning of this year I just said, enough is enough, and this year I will get to my goal.

What seems to be working for me !? First it´s the drive, and second is acknowledging my anxiety and trying no to let it take me over, taking a deep breath everytime I feel the urge to binge, trying to avoid situations where I know it will throw me right into the wolve´s mouth, such as weighing myself frequently, and exercizing, it helps me get rid of all the accumulated energy ...
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

This happened to me everytime I got near the 150s. I was stuck in the low 160s - high 150s since about October until January. Everytime I made any progress, I decided it was a good time to reward myself with food. And not just simply overeating, doing things like ordering a medium pizza plus appetizers and 2L of pop with the intent of eating it by myself in one night.

I seem to have broken that habit, I think I just needed a little extra kick in the pants, which came in the form of having consecutive Florida vacations in the next few months.
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Totally feel your pain here.

Mine is 240. And I've been under 240 for awhile now but won't quite get out of the 230's. I think it's because 220 seems so impossible. Once I take that step, it will be the thinnest I've been in my adult life.

I think it's this idea that once I get there, I'll fail. I have NO idea why.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

I'm in a similar situation, and you have got some great advice that I want to adopt as well. But, I do want to say - CONGRATULATIONS to all of us for maintaining a weight loss. That's the hardest part, according to the studies I've read. I am not happy where I am, but I am way happier than I was with where I was. Life is pretty good in the 170s.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Mine is hitting under 200. I've lost 40lbs 3 times now. It's really ticks me off I keep doing this to myself. But I will get past it. I think I'm going to look into my salt intake among other things. Now that I'm at 210. I will stop weighting myself at 205. Give it 2 or 3 weeks then see if I tricked myself.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote