South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ???/???/165

Height: 5'10"

Default Yogurt on phase 1?

I have a REALLY hard time stopping for breakfast in the mornings; ricotta just gets old really quickly. Would it be ok for me to grab a cup of Light n' Fit yogurt on my way out the door? I usually have a can of low sodium v8 on the morning commute, so I guess I'm getting my veggies for this meal already.
cygnetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

On Phase 1, the only yogurt that's OK is plain, low fat or non-fat. I've never seen plain Light N' Fit, but I could have missed it. I usually buy the 32 ounce container of plain yogurt and then flavor it with a splash of sugar-free coffee syrup or, lately, blue agave nectar. There's no reason you couldn't portion some out into little containers so you can have your own small yogurt.

Or, you could wake up earlier.

Hard-boiled eggs make a good, grab-and-go breakfast item. You could also make up a veggie omelet the night before and portion it out into two or more servings and put it in a plastic container to take with you. There's also no reason you have to have "breakfast" food for breakfast. You could wrap up lunchmeat with some lettuce and have that packed up for yourself, or roasted chickpeas, or pepper sticks and cheese cubes.

There are lots of possibilities! It just might take some planning the night before.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Oh, or those individual serving size cottage cheeses. They're terrific!

Kara
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

cygnetta, Light n' Fit has corn starch. If you want to eat it in Phase 2, that should be okay--but in Phase 1, the corn starch could be a problem.

I'd stick with easier transportable things, like a cheese stick, celery sticks filled with Laughing Cow Light cheese, grape tomatoes, bell peppers and hummus, etc. You can also make a "smoothie" from plain yogurt with SF syrup added--in a hurry, I'll add SF syrup to plain (SF) lowfat Kefir (a "drinkable" yogurt that has tons of great probiotics!!!).

While the V8 will definitely give you lots of nutrients, it doesn't give you the fiber that real veggies do. So even though it's healthy, it's not going to fill you up with fiber and make it easier to get to the next meal/snack. So try having some veggies with it, okay?

Last edited by beachgal; 02-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Yogurt is tricky on Phase 1

I am resuming Phase One. I spent a good deal of time scruntinizing the guidelines posted on the official website this morning. Although I know that others here use different amounts than what is listed according to the SBD website, you are allowed 2 TB of low fat or fat free milk period per day. If you have yogurt, it is like Kara said---the plain fat free kind, but on the website it only says 1/2 c.. You decide how you want to make this call.

I am going to go back and follow this more strictly than I had before. Mostly, because I misunderstood how much fat free milk and/or fats I could consume.

I have decided that I am going to follow the official website this time around and not "interpretations", mine or otherwise.

I still am committed to this food plan, it is really making me feel very healthy BUT I carefully looked at the FAT allowances and it should be 1 TB of mayo, canola/olive oil or some of the other FAT choices. It is much much lower fat than I had originally thought.

Good to ask if you aren't sure. Good luck on the food plan. It really is a very healthy way to eat.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-25-2008 at 02:11 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Really? It says 2 tablespoons of milk a day? That doesn't seem right...

Kara
Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #7  

That doesn't seem right to me either and if it is true, then it is a major departure from the changes that the good doctor has made to the plan through the years.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

Pam, is it possible that amount was for adding to coffee or tea?

Kara