Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Default Aerobics classes...tips?

I'm interested in signing up for an aerobics membership at my community center...34.00 gets me 3 months of classes - I could have a class 4-5 days a week....(boxercise, hi/low combo, total body conditioning)

I really want to sign up (this is just the thing I need to get moving), but I'm nervous that I won't be able to keep up and turn all red and sweaty and collapse to the floor (Im certainly not that out of shape, but I've never done anything extremely aerobic before; I generally just walk briskly and bike ride..)

Any advice?

Last edited by summerlove; 02-23-2008 at 02:02 AM.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Probably just about everyone else in the class will be all red and sweaty, too. I am in great shape and I'm always bright red and sweating like a pig when I work out. I literally leave a little trail of sweat drops behind me. You definitely won't be the only one that is red and sweaty. And most people are so focused on what themselves that they won't even notice what you are doing.

And you can pace yourself. In the classes I've taken, everyone works as hard as they want to or are able to. Of course, the harder you push yourself, the more you get out of it. But, ultimately, how hard you work is up to you. You can always stop and take a break if you need to. If it's really too much for you, you can always leave early (just be sure to stretch on you own).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #3  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

That is a great deal!!!
I used to teach fitness classes, love them, they are the best way to work out! You go girl, bring a towel for you if you sweat and take breaks when you need to. Plus these will be mainly women in the class.
GOOD LUCK!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Go for it. You can adjust your participation level if you need to. Almost every move can be done with more or less intensity. I'm betting you will LOVE it! And - that you will be able to do more than you think.

I started with aerobic dance DVDs right from the beginning - 215 lbs., 50 years old, and very, very out of shape.

Take advantage of this great opportunity, and come back and let us know how your first class went
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #5  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I actually just took my first aerobics class ever this morning and LOVED it. It was much more challenging than any other of the cardio that i do around the gym on a machine. It is SO worth it.

i am very out of shape and took a beginners class.. and i felt just fine. I took a couple water breaks and wiped my face off with a towel and got right back in there!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #6  

Thanks guys! I'm going next week, I'll let you know how it is
Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #7  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Start low and keep at it

Most aerobics classes, no matter the type, will allow you to adjust your exertion to your ability. I would recommend starting at the lowest exertion level to begin with and work your way up to higher intensity. In my step classes I see women all of the time taking the class for the first time and trying to do the class with the step plus a riser or two, and they usually only come once because they get frustrated, embarassed or exhausted. Sometimes they even quit half-way through the class rather than taking the level down some and continuing to move. If you start at the lowest level, you can always work up to a higher level, but if you try to start at too high a level and never go back because you're frustrated or worn out, then you've only defeated yourself.

If you have a hard time keeping up with a routine, do only the leg movements. Add in the arm movement as you catch on. Some teachers at the beginning of a session will take it slowly to teach the moves a bit at a time and some won't, so you may have to adjust your actions accordingly.

Don't worry about messing up -- everyone who takes aerobics started at the same place and has messed up many many times. Every activity has a learning curve, so give yourself time to catch on. A lot of people will quit after the first session or two because they think they just don't have the coordination or won't ever catch onto the routines. If you stick with it, you'll find after the first few sessions that you're becoming more and more competent. If you find you don't enjoy the particular type of class, try a different type. I love step aerobics and hate kick boxing. The instructors also play a huge role in whether or not you like a class -- try out different teachers since they're all different.

The goal is to sweat and get red!!! I don't feel like I've had a good workout unless I'm drenched in sweat and red in the face. If it's a good class, everyone will be hot and sweaty. If you feel like you're overexerting yourself or are confused with the routine and need to watch the instructor for a bit, don't stop completely -- keep moving by marching in place while you take a break. You don't want your heart rate to drop too quickly.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #8  

WOW!
I went today, and boy was it great!
The moves were challenging but not impossible, and there were lots of people there, so it's obviously a popular class. I sweated like crazy, but it was awesome.
I AM SO GLAD I WENT! I walked home with a huge smile on my face.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I always know I look like a HUGE DORK in pilates or whatever class I'm taking...but I've really stopped caring!! Most of the time people are too concerned about how much their (insert body part here) hurts that they don't even care about your hairy armpits, sweaty back, ugly t-shirt, red face, or anything else, I find!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote